Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My wife is in the same boat, she's a graphic designer at a printing company and the owner (who's always been a greedy cheap ass) has determined that they will remain open due to being "essential", as they print things for banks and absentee ballots for government elections. Though he encourages any employees to feel free to not come into work and isolate at home and then he doesn't have to pay them. Does the same thing during snow storms. When businesses and schools close and it's not safe to drive, he encourages his employees to be safe and not take chances driving, but keeps the office open so anyone that doesn't come in either doesn't get paid or they have to use their PTO time, their call. Unbelievable....

P.S. His entire family, him, his kids, his parents.....all ISU grads, you'd expect better, ha.

That stinks. Reminds me of the non-mandatory open gyms in high school. Technically, we can't make you be here. But we very, very strongly suggest you come, and an assistant will probably happen to swing by and would probably observe who is present. But totally not mandatory.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Last Wednesday. Obviously the mood has changed and more tests came available.

As far as finding out positive vs. negative that ship has sailed I'm sure.

Yeah, that was a much "tighter" situation test-wise.

Just got word the person I know is negative.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Your right you'll probably never know the real number of cases, but that is the number you need to compare to hospitalizations and deaths. Not just total population.
Why compare hospitalizations and deaths to confirmed cases? That's not a real number. The population is.

That said, I would agree that the ratio of confirmed cases to total tested is relevant. That's about it. But confirmed cases alone should not be the key indicator, and that's the big headline every damn day. It's ridiculous.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I haven't seen the press conferences the past couple of days, but they need to be more definitive statements. The tone the leadership sets on this determines how serious people take it.

VERY fine line between being definitive and inciting panic... Leaders have to be very careful to convey both a sense of urgency and a sense of confidence at the same time.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Why compare hospitalizations and deaths to confirmed cases? That's not a real number. The population is.

That said, I would agree that the ratio of confirmed cases to total tested is relevant. That's about it. But confirmed cases alone should not be the key indicator, and that's the big headline every damn day. It's ridiculous.

How is it not a "real" number? Its obviously not accurate but its all we got.

Total population is watering down the severity of it, and based on your post that's what you are interested in

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
How is it not a "real" number? Its obviously not accurate but its all we got.

Total population is watering down the severity of it, and based on your post that's what you are interested in

You answered your first question with the following sentence.

Our confirmed cases number isn't accurate and we all know it. There are (and have been) countless cases of COVID-19 that will never be confirmed. How many people are in the hospital and/or dead from it is a very real number.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012

Our confirmed cases number isn't accurate and we all know it. There are (and have been) countless cases of COVID-19 that will never be confirmed. How many people are in the hospital and/or dead from it is a very real number.

I understand that, but to act like the confirmed amount doesn't matter is not right either. Data has to drive how we continue to move forward from this. As the testing expands, that number should become more and more real.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

By definition, the confirmed cases number is probably accurate, but I get your point. It’s not indicative of the number of people infected.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, I guess I don't dispute the idea that those people who are confirmed have COVID-19. I'm agreeing with those who say that number, in and of itself, tells us so little about what is going on. Yet it's the number that gets the attention and the crazed reaction.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Yeah, I guess I don't dispute the idea that those people who are confirmed have COVID-19. I'm agreeing with those who say that number, in and of itself, tells us so little about what is going on. Yet it's the number that gets the attention and the crazed reaction.

Were on the same page then.

Next, anyone know of a place doing takeout fish tonight? Ames area

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Your right you'll probably never know the real number of cases, but that is the number you need to compare to hospitalizations and deaths. Not just total population.
Yeah the hospitalizations is what you should be looking at. Most who get this will not have to be hospitalized and their symptoms won't be severe enough to cause death. Realistically there is going to be a great number of people who end up having this or receiving this one way or another.

I'm keeping my eyes on that hospitalization # because if that goes up, it means we could be in trouble considering we don't have a large amount of ventilators.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The mayor in our small town supposedly closed the parks. I’m not sure how he did that or if it’s even something that’s possible but supposedly he did that

Parks in our town including the tiny little park in our subdivision all closed and taped off.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Am I the only one who really doesn't give two ***** about confirmed cases? The daily panic surrounding this number is baffling to me because it's so directly tied to testing. It's not based on some comprehensive survey of the population. We don't know, and may never know, the real number of infections, including those who were infected and recovered with little awareness. Is it reasonable to believe that a highly contagious virus in a connected society hasn't infected thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, in a state of 3.2 million?

I'm much more interested in the number of hospitalizations and deaths. Those are real numbers, as is the total population. So, in a state of 3.2 million, we have 3 dead (0.0001%) and 32 hospitalized (0.001%). Forgive my lack of panic over "confirmed cases."

You are right, hospitalizations are the real thing to look at from a "how bad is this situation" perspective. Nobody should be in a panic over the actual positive test numbers.....it's here, we've been mixing it around the population too well for too long, and numbers will increase.

I'm not sure on the scope of the assumed number already infected though....just don't know. Due to testing logistics and complete lack of symptoms in a certain percentage of infection, we certainly haven't ID'd every single infection.....be great if many many millions have already been unknowingly infected and possess some immunity.

It'd be great to have the capability to test 10,000+ randomly selected people in Iowa that have been healthy and have had no symptoms. The closest we can probably come is to look at wherever the highest amount of testing of outwardly healthy people has been done: South Korea. As of March 20, they had done 316,664 tests with 8,652 cases: 2.73% positive. But even that likely wasn't true random sampling: some/many may have been selected due to symptoms or contact tracing of positive tests.

Those numbers are also based simply on detection of the virus. Antibody tests will eventually help figure out about how many people responded to an infection, even if they didn't have signs or get tested.

I've heard a lot of people saying something like they had a bad cold in early January or their co-worker was coughing back in December and tested negative for influenza.....this of course leads to "maybe it was COVID"....has anyone seen data on testing of retrospective samples to attempt to show how long the virus was in the US prior to the first reported case? I haven't, but I'm curious....

Reactions: psychlone99

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Of course confirmed cases is a function of tests, but it's also a function of people actually getting the disease, so for predictive purposes it's about all we have.

The problem is looking at deaths and hospitalization vs. total population is worthless when the disease is in it's early stages. By the time it becomes a meaningful number, there's not really much more need to predict anything anymore, at least within that same region. I do agree, though areas that appear to be further in the process can give some idea of what to expect based on deaths and hospitalization vs. total population of a region. However, population density, action taken, demographics also play a big role, so that makes comparisons across regions more difficult.

People are using hospitalizations and deaths vs. confirmed cases because confirmed cases is the best we have, unfortunately. I agree that positive vs. negative tests is potentially a useful number. Similar problem, though, unless a high percentage of people being tested have had confirmed contact with someone that tested positive I don't think it tells us much about transmittability.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think Part of the issue is that there’s not much they can do for you whether you have it or not as a mild case. That is why they tell you just go home and quarantine yourself and see if it either plays out it’s better or worse

that’s true for individual but testing more people helps track illness. The lack of testing is why we are locked down.

Status
Not open for further replies.