Who has Live Sports First?

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Which of these will produce a live, televised event first?
Baseball
Basketball
Football (not the draft, that doesn't count)
Hockey
Soccer
Golf
Tennis
Auto Racing

I guess my pick is golf, based on being outdoors and the gallery doesn't really supply a very high percentage of the prize money.

Reactions: Acylum

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Which of these will produce a live, televised event first?
Baseball
Basketball
Football (not the draft, that doesn't count)
Hockey
Soccer
Golf
Tennis
Auto Racing

I guess my pick is golf, based on being outdoors and the gallery doesn't really supply a very high percentage of the prize money.

Best guess, in order:

Golf (like you said, seems like the easiest one to pull off without spectators)
Tennis (similar to golf)
Baseball
Basketball
Hockey
Auto Racing
Soccer (MLS probably sooner than any of the European leagues)
Football

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Saw the thread and immediately thought golf. So golf.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Without spectators, Golf could technically be going on now. It wouldn’t be hard to keep the 2 golfers and caddies spaced 6’ apart at all times.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Soccer (not in US)

That's interesting. I went the other way, but now that I think about it I suppose Europe could get back to something close to normal first since it seems like most of the countries in western Europe are taking a more aggressive approach against the pandemic than the federal government here.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
That's interesting. I went the other way, but now that I think about it I suppose Europe could get back to something close to normal first since it seems like most of the countries in western Europe are taking a more aggressive approach against the pandemic than the federal government here.
I would say they were much further behind than us on doing anything. I was watching CL games with stadiums full of fans on the same day we saw the last basketball games in the US. I think it’s spread though many more people in Europe currently.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Without spectators, Golf could technically be going on now. It wouldn’t be hard to keep the 2 golfers and caddies spaced 6’ apart at all times.

Our course came out with quite the list of precautions:
  • Only one person per cart (their carts)
  • No touching the flagstick
  • Inserts in the holes
  • No rakes on the course
There was more, but those are the ones that stood out (along with a closed clubhouse)

Reactions: cyclonedave25

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
To reduce travel, have the golfers all stay at one of the huge multi-course resorts (in moterhomes, lol). Then they could have several tournaments without playing the same course over-and-over. All voluntary, of course.

Reactions: Doc

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Well technically NASCAR is still going and will have a televised race on Sunday. It just isn’t with real cars. It’s still live televised sports though so they win.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would agree that golf is likely the first to come back. It is more a solitary sport and fairly easy to avoid physical contact. Also fewer guys to test.

I will be curious if a sport like baseball uses the abbreviated season to experiment. Stats for the season will be meaningless for the record book. So some experimental ideas makes sense:
  • 7 inning double headers
  • Pitch clock
  • Revised Playoff Format

Reactions: Doc