Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Right, as those are deemed essential. Places like those absolutely cannot shut down, but tons of places are putting in efforts to limit the amount of people in those essential businesses as well.

You could go to those places though and come into contact with one or two people depending on if you're cautious or even if you just use self checkout. There are tons of businesses right now not doing anything or doing a limited amount to combat this. There's an employee at my work sick right now and we haven't even had a conversation about it. Lol for all I know he could have this virus and everyone in this office could be in the same boat as him.

Yes, I understand that, and thanks for clarifying. My "point" was more that those in charge use certain phrases and they mean something specific, and the rest of the world hears and reads the same phrases and understands them completely differently. Everyone needs to use the simplest terms with no ambiguity (or as little as possible) today. When I first read/heard "shelter in place" all I could think of was bombs being dropped on people who were outside and visible. Even though I was pretty sure that wasn't what was meant.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Much better message from the Governor today. While yesterday's message was "if you are sick stay home," today's message has been "if you are not out doing essential work or doing essential tasks for your family, stay home, keep your kids home, and let your employees do whatever they can from home."
Still hard for ones who want to self isolate but don’t want to get in trouble if not showing up to work.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Still hard for ones who want to self isolate but don’t want to get in trouble if not showing up to work.

can you take vacation or sick leave?

if you aren’t sick snd absolutely have to work, this makes it safer for you.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Finally, it only took her a week to get here! The mixed message that you should really only seriously stay home if you are sick was ignorant and dangerous.

Now they need to start getting people to realize that this could last through the entire summer, not just a few weeks. If they are serious about not overwhelming the healthcare system people need to start getting the mindset that things will be shut down until late summer early fall, best case scenario.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So is she mandating anything or just recommending non-essential businesses to work from home if they can? I haven't been able to listen to much of it because the video has been screwy on my computer.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Now they need to start getting people to realize that this could last through the entire summer, not just a few weeks. If they are serious about not overwhelming the healthcare system people need to start getting the mindset that things will be shut down until late summer early fall, best case scenario.
Again maybe that would be the best thing for it from a pandemic response standpoint but it’s just not going to happen. The sooner people particularly doctors realize they aren’t making decisions in a vacuum the better off we will be.

I’m afraid that they aren’t preparing for the fact that we won’t stay like this for months until they can get a vaccine.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Absolutely not. That will destroy our economy. We can't do that and not be prepared for a reality that is far worse than virus.

Unless you just force the halt of property taxes, utilities, and what not on the shutdown businesses, it is completely not sustainable or realistic to do this, and if we insist on it, we are bringing YEARS of hell upon ourselves.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Again maybe that would be the best thing for it from a pandemic response standpoint but it’s just not going to happen. The sooner people particularly doctors realize they aren’t making decisions in a vacuum the better off we will be.

I’m afraid that they aren’t preparing for the fact that we won’t stay like this for months until they can get a vaccine.

I don't disagree with you, but once you put in these shelter in place orders and cases keep going up and up, how do you begin to open things back up? And then when the numbers spike back up after the restrictions have been lifted, and they will, how do you justify not putting that shelter in place order back on?

Reactions: Scott34

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Absolutely not. That will destroy our economy. We can't do that and not be prepared for a reality that is far worse than virus.

Unless you just force the halt of property taxes, utilities, and what not on the shutdown businesses, it is completely not sustainable or realistic to do this, and if we insist on it, we are bringing YEARS of hell upon ourselves.

Yes, there's a good chance this is the end outcome of all this. Things are not going to get back to how they were any time soon.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't disagree with you, but once you put in these shelter in place orders and cases keep going up and up, how do you begin to open things back up? And then when the numbers spike back up after the restrictions have been lifted, and they will, how do you justify not putting that shelter in place order back on?

Because it clearly didn't ******* work, and we're better off dealing with the consequences of the virus if shelter-in-place can't contain it. You'll kill off both the economy and the vulnerable population at that rate.

China is returning to normal after 3 months. That is a much more densely populated country than the United States. We can get there.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
most districts voted to pay hourly staff. i don't know why they wouldn't make the same choice with certified staff. the budget was already set.

I believe most of the problem was if they go back to school for 3 more weeks at the end of the year. IF they paid the hourly folks for the current 3 weeks and than the extra 3 weeks at the end, that more than what they budgeted. However now it seems we aren't going back to school and will be done around the normal time, so its kind of a mute point.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
What is the definition of a 'destroyed economy'? How would those here define it?

Obviously things will be bad if this lasts through summer (a likely, if not probable, scenario).

But how many functions of our economy will not come out okay from that? In Iowa, we won't be spending money on movie theaters, at malls, etc. I think there will be a lot of people impacted (see the Fed's 30% unemployment forecast). But after the summer hopefully things can pick back up and weather any additional peaks in cases, like one we'll likely see in fall.

I know it will be bad, but I tend to think economic impacts are overstated.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Because it clearly didn't ******* work, and we're better off dealing with the consequences of the virus if shelter-in-place can't contain it. You'll kill off both the economy and the vulnerable population at that rate.

China is returning to normal after 3 months. That is a much more densely populated country than the United States. We can get there.
Or you see this happen.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

And only now will we see if China actually contained the virus. Their quarantine measures were much more restrictive and lasted for two months with most places only now starting to get back up to speed. There are also reports of hospitals refusing to test for it now to not show any more cases. I think there's a very good chance we see major flare ups of this in China again in the next few weeks, and that may or may not be reported and China will take drastic steps, that the US can't possibly take to contain it.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
That's the fallout. It is best encouraged to stay home but hell I know people in the LA area who went flying in their plane or fishing on their boat yesterday.

Why would fishing in their boat matter? The whole point is physical isolation and distancing from other people. If you go do something on your own and don't come into contact with others, that shouldn't be something that is bad...

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Employers have to be leaders in this. My office told us 2 weeks ago that if we are sick, or anyone in our family is sick, we are expected to stay home for at least 2 days AFTER our symptoms are completely gone. That takes the decision making away from the employee and eliminates the "guilt" that can come with staying home sick, and not pushing through. I think most employers want sick people staying home. At least the smart ones who don't want to cripple half their work force y spreading any illnesses around the office. Obviously there are exceptions to that, though.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
What is the definition of a 'destroyed economy'? How would those here define it?

Obviously things will be bad if this lasts through summer (a likely, if not probable, scenario).

But how many functions of our economy will not come out okay from that? In Iowa, we won't be spending money on movie theaters, at malls, etc. I think there will be a lot of people impacted (see the Fed's 30% unemployment forecast). But after the summer hopefully things can pick back up and weather any additional peaks in cases, like one we'll likely see in fall.

I know it will be bad, but I tend to think economic impacts are overstated.
To put 30% unemployment into perspective, it was around 25% during the great depression. It's hard to link a direct fatality rate to that, but it wouldn't be small.

Status
Not open for further replies.