Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
https://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Stay-at-home-order-issued-in-West-Virginia-569030791.html

West Virginia implementing staying at home for non-essential businesses. Extremely interesting considering they have the lowest amount of confirmed cases in the United States as of right now. They have 16 cases. We have 105.

With Wisconsin now doing the same thing, I would be surprised if Gov. Reynolds doesn't ramp up her stance a little bit. I'm not sure if she'll go for a full shut down but I'm guessing it'll be something more than what we're currently doing. I mean, she literally had a press conference 24 hours ago and not too many people were happy with what she said / what the state of Iowa is currently doing. I would be surprised if she got back on camera a day later and simply repeat the same thing she said yesterday.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
https://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Stay-at-home-order-issued-in-West-Virginia-569030791.html

West Virginia implementing staying at home for non-essential businesses. Extremely interesting considering they have the lowest amount of confirmed cases in the United States as of right now. They have 16 cases. We have 105.

With Wisconsin now doing the same thing, I would be surprised if Gov. Reynolds doesn't ramp up her stance a little bit. I'm not sure if she'll go for a full shut down but I'm guessing it'll be something more than what we're currently doing. I mean, she literally had a press conference 24 hours ago and not too many people were happy with what she said / what the state of Iowa is currently doing. I would be surprised if she got back on camera a day later and simply repeat the same thing she said yesterday.
I just don’t get what these stay at home orders are supposed to do in places like Iowa. I’m in favor of trying to figure out how to crack down on idiots but am totally against a stay at home order.

Reactions: Scott34

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I just don’t get what these stay at home orders are supposed to do in places like Iowa. I’m in favor of trying to figure out how to crack down on idiots but am totally against a stay at home order.
Crack down on idiots how?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
From what I've read, the point for these things is to basically isolate yourself away from others to the point where you're not coming into contact with anyone for 2 weeks. By doing this, it limits the spread of the virus by quite a bit because you're not coming into contact with a ton of people. Obviously different places are going to look at this differently because their offices may not be as large or have a lot of people in it.

By limiting the spread, you limit the amount of people who get this virus that may need to be hospitalized. By limiting that number, your hospitals don't become overrun and you're able to treat the most critical patients.

I'm not sure if that's 100% how it works but that's sort of how I have been looking at it.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Question for those of us with teachers as spouses or are teachers. I don't expect school to reconvene for the year (my opinion) so what happens with teacher pay for the remainder of the year? I assume these these three weeks are paid until mid April, but then what?

most districts voted to pay hourly staff. i don't know why they wouldn't make the same choice with certified staff. the budget was already set.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
From what I've read, the point for these things is to basically isolate yourself away from others to the point where you're not coming into contact with anyone for 2 weeks. By doing this, it limits the spread of the virus by quite a bit because you're not coming into contact with a ton of people. Obviously different places are going to look at this differently because their offices may not be as large or have a lot of people in it.

By limiting the spread, you limit the amount of people who get this virus that may need to be hospitalized. By limiting that number, your hospitals don't become overrun and you're able to treat the most critical patients.

I'm not sure if that's 100% how it works but that's sort of how I have been looking at it.

Mostly, yes. But the current "stay at home" descriptions I've seen allow travel to necessary places like grocery stores and pharmacies.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

I believe part of the purpose as well is, everyone stay away from each other for 2 weeks, those that are sick will recover and can't spread, hope those that don't show symptoms but have it recover and can't spread. Trying to wipe out as much of the virus as possible so you can hopefully start over with containing it after 2 weeks.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Mostly, yes. But the current "stay at home" descriptions I've seen allow travel to necessary places like grocery stores and pharmacies.
Right, as those are deemed essential. Places like those absolutely cannot shut down, but tons of places are putting in efforts to limit the amount of people in those essential businesses as well.

You could go to those places though and come into contact with one or two people depending on if you're cautious or even if you just use self checkout. There are tons of businesses right now not doing anything or doing a limited amount to combat this. There's an employee at my work sick right now and we haven't even had a conversation about it. Lol for all I know he could have this virus and everyone in this office could be in the same boat as him.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and Ms3r4ISU

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I believe part of the purpose as well is, everyone stay away from each other for 2 weeks, those that are sick will recover and can't spread, hope those that don't show symptoms but have it recover and can't spread. Trying to wipe out as much of the virus as possible so you can hopefully start over with containing it after 2 weeks.
Except 2 weeks isn't enough time to contain. Here is the lesson from Hong Kong...they now have shutdown schools, businesses, and government. All because they thought they had it under control after 3 weeks and eliminated some of the restrictions.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-quarantine-intl-hnk/index.html

Reactions: Scott34

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
There are companies that are already suing states for what is defined as "essential." Some examples that might be difficult to define: banking, trucking/transportation, mail, telecommunications, media, pubic works, governmental agencies, law firms, etc. You can find specifics in each of those that would be considered either essential or non-essential.

Do we spend time and legal avenues discussing/deciding this stuff?

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Except 2 weeks isn't enough time to contain. Here is the lesson from Hong Kong...they now have shutdown schools, businesses, and government. All because they thought they had it under control after 3 weeks and eliminated some of the restrictions.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-quarantine-intl-hnk/index.html
I didn't really mean 2 weeks was enough time. I was just saying you use it like a reset switch to hopefully try and contain it better on your second attempt. Its still a virus. Extremely difficult to stop.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There are companies that are already suing states for what is defined as "essential." Some examples that might be difficult to define: banking, trucking/transportation, mail, telecommunications, media, pubic works, governmental agencies, law firms, etc. You can find specifics in each of those that would be considered either essential or non-essential.

Do we spend time and legal avenues discussing/deciding this stuff?
Yeah that's going to be interesting to see how those sort of things play out. There are tons of people out there who do not agree with shutting things down and the owners of lots of businesses are going to try and figure out how to exclaim their business is essential.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
a stay at home order should close malls. That matters.

Closing malls makes sense. Also, the vast majority of businesses in malls are non-essential, so a non-essential business shutdown should help with that.

Again, making it illegal for people to go outside of their house is stupid. People should be able to go outdoors in an isolated fashion. I've spent a lot of time outdoors the past week without coming into anyone's 6' radius.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Closing malls makes sense. Also, the vast majority of businesses in malls are non-essential, so a non-essential business shutdown should help with that.

Again, making it illegal for people to go outside of their house is stupid. People should be able to go outdoors in an isolated fashion. I've spent a lot of time outdoors the past week without coming into anyone's 6' radius.

no one is saying it would be illegal to leave your house.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Much better message from the Governor today. While yesterday's message was "if you are sick stay home," today's message has been "if you are not out doing essential work or doing essential tasks for your family, stay home, keep your kids home, and let your employees do whatever they can from home."

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Much better message from the Governor today. While yesterday's message was "if you are sick stay home," today's message has been "if you are not out doing essential work or doing essential tasks for your family, stay home, keep your kids home, and let your employees do whatever they can from home."

Finally, it only took her a week to get here! The mixed message that you should really only seriously stay home if you are sick was ignorant and dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.