Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised to see non-essential businesses to close, but they aren't going to order people to stay in their house.

By closing non-essential businesses you eliminate the last congregational area. They aren't going to stop people from walking or riding bikes, or going for a drive.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Those of you that go out and drive around, have you not considered what happens if you break down? There are armed groups of toilet paper bandits everywhere.

A week away from this
giphy.gif

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Finally, on an agriculture-related webinar now: "we need to say 'physical distancing' not 'social distancing' because we need to stay connected socially with each other, our co-workers, friends and neighbors."

Wish whoever coined that phrase would have thought through the impression it makes on people. Or maybe I think differently because I'm a words person. I still ask what it means when people on "social media" aren't really social/sociable.

Reactions: Doc

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Question for those of us with teachers as spouses or are teachers. I don't expect school to reconvene for the year (my opinion) so what happens with teacher pay for the remainder of the year? I assume these these three weeks are paid until mid April, but then what?
I would assume teachers will get full pay since it is already budgeted for.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
It can't be done.

What is the alternative? Have the government deliver food to everyone? LOL.
Not only grocery stores, they are just the tip of the iceberg. The entire food supply chain absolutely cannot be shut down or even slowed down. All production factories, distribution centers, factories that make the packaging, etc...

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Health director for Johson County just said in a press conference that "testing capacity has ramped up and still have some guidelines for testing". So it sounds like testing is becoming more available with limited restrictions.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Not only grocery stores, they are just the tip of the iceberg. The entire food supply chain absolutely cannot be shut down or even slowed down. All production factories, distribution centers, factories that make the packaging, etc...

There's a reason the "essential industry" list is so long.

A shut down of non-essential businesses won't look much different than what we already have.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Question for those of us with teachers as spouses or are teachers. I don't expect school to reconvene for the year (my opinion) so what happens with teacher pay for the remainder of the year? I assume these these three weeks are paid until mid April, but then what?

Budget for fiscal year was set. They'll get paid for the school year.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

I'm not in Iowa, but schools here have officially closed for the year, and faculty and staff will be paid for the remainder of the year.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Here's the other problem, you are MUCH more likely to completely quarantine if you have a positive test result. But if you haven't been tested and have allergy or cold symptoms you are more likely to think it is just a cold and go out even if just for groceries.

(I'm thinking of that a lot this morning because I have a sore throat. I'm 99.9% that it is a cold, but I'm obviously not going anywhere---even the grocery store for the next few weeks if this develops into a cold. But some people would.)

Yah. I posted yesterday about our kids having a cough and fever. Was relieved today when they woke up with runny noses and the cough no longer of the dry variety. Looks to be a cold. But...we are still on full quarantine for as long as our groceries hold out (about another week) to be sure. No other reason for us to leave with WFH in place.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Here in socal there are places in the mountains to do this and sadly other places where thousands are doing it as a crowd.

If you drive somewhere and there are 100s or 1000s of people just leave.
We did that, however many people in rural towns are asking not to go there. Stopping at a gas station, etc, can cause spread. Also car accidents and such.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008

My wifes school district pays by the year so they will continue to be paid until Aug? or whenever the pay year is over. Its the hourly people that they are trying to figure out.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And if they dont I want some of my property tax money refunded. I hope the school districts also continue to pay the hourly staff as well.

Many teachers are figuring out ways to reach out to their kids during this time which is a pretty complicated.

Agreed on the hourly staff. That's also something that's budgeted in and there's aides and such that keep the machine rolling.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
There's a reason the "essential industry" list is so long.

A shut down of non-essential businesses won't look much different than what we already have.

I've looked at a handful of existing shelter-in-place orders and I have no idea whether my little business would qualify or not. I can't imagine I'm the only one. These laws are so vague, and rightfully so, that they don't do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.