Best Sports Movie

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Great movie but I think the joke was lost. All Costner movies and I threw in dances with wolves as a goof

I did notice they were all Costner movies, just had to comment on the American Flyers blast from the past. If you ran out of Costner sports movies you could have thrown in For Love of the Game, although wolf dancing would be in interesting possibility for new Olympic sport.

Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
A couple I'll mention that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Million Dollar Baby, Eight Men Out and Invincible (it's a guilty pleasure of mine)

Reactions: harimad

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Remember the Titans
This is the only right answer and it’s asinine that it took so long for someone to reply with.
This is one of very few movies where if I see it on TV and pick it up from where it is an watch it through almost every single time.

Typhoon

Sep 30, 2010
Some that haven't been mentioned. Breaking Away, great bicycle movie. Bend it Like Beckham, great soccer movie. Personal Best, great shower scenes oh and it's a track movie. Chariots of Fire was a pretty good track movie.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don’t know what in the world is going on in here but The Sandlot is not getting NEAR the love that it deserves.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My personal favs:

1. Hoosiers (basketball)
2. Bull Durham (baseball)
3. The Natural (baseball)
4. The Fighter (boxing)
5. Vision Quest (wrestling)
6. Remember the Titans (football)
7. Major League (baseball)
8. Rocky IV (boxing)
9. A League of Their Own (baseball)
10. Tin Cup (golf)

Bonus: Favorite Sports Documentaries
1. Endless Summer (Surfing)
2. Dogtown and ZBoys (Skateboarding/Surfing)
3. The Dawn Wall (Climbing)
4. Free Solo (Climbing)
5. Meru (Climbing)
6. Step into Liquid (Surfing)
7. Hoop Dreams (Basketball)
8. When We Were Kings (Boxing)

*Ken Burns "Baseball" would easily be #1 of documentaries and maybe #1 overall but it's not really fair to compare a 14 hour documentary series to any single movie.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Surprised so many people have Moneyball so high on their lists. It's a great movie but I'm hard pressed to put it maybe 4th or 5th at best in my top 5 baseball movies. The Bad News Bears (the original movie not the Billy Bob Thornton version) The Rookie and The Natural are fighting for those 2 spots as well as Major League. 42 probably is on the top 10 bubble. I guess some of the opinions are based on what generation you grew up in too.

Another highly under-rated baseball movie is Million Dollar Arm. If you have not seen it yet you should, it is based off a true story.

A few more non-baseball movies to add to the discussion not mentioned yet: Tin Cup, Rudy, and Little Giants.

I put Moneyball in the category of movies like Wall Street, Boiler Room, and The Big Short.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ok, fine, let’s get definitive here. :p

1. The Natural
2. A League Of Their Own
3. Moneyball
4. For Love Of The Game
5. 42
6. Field Of Dreams

Baseball comedies are a different category but Major League is the best one. Then Bull Durham. Rookie of the Year and The Sandlot 3a and 3b.

(Edit: just defining baseball movies here, not all sports movies. Obviously quite subjective here as well.)

I only recently watched 42 and it is really good. Jackie Robinson may actually be an underrated American hero even with as much notoriety as he has received.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
And, to everyone questioning Moneyball's inclusion on these lists:
source.gif

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And, to everyone questioning Moneyball's inclusion on these lists:
source.gif

Is Jerry Maguire a sports movie? Cuba won an academy award for playing a football player and he has scenes playing football. Maybe people mentioned it already.

I wouldn't put Jerry Maguire in my top 10 sports movies but I'd definitely put Rod Tidwell in my top five athlete movie characters.

I'd say they're both half in that "Wall Street" category of movie and half in sports.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Is Jerry Maguire a sports movie? Cuba won an academy award for playing a football player and he has scenes playing football. Maybe people mentioned it already.

I wouldn't put Jerry Maguire in my top 10 sports movies but I'd definitely put Rod Tidwell in my top five athlete movie characters.

I'd say they're both half in that "Wall Street" category of movie and half in sports.
By those rules, Bad News Bears isn't a baseball movie. Nor are For Love Of The Game or Bull Durham. I'm now questioning The Natural and Field of Dreams as well.

Edit: also, truth be told, my post with the gif from Moneyball wasn't even aimed at you. It was at the people who just don't like it as a movie. :)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
By those rules, Bad News Bears isn't a baseball movie. Nor are For Love Of The Game or Bull Durham. I'm now questioning The Natural and Field of Dreams as well.

Edit: also, truth be told, my post with the gif from Moneyball wasn't even aimed at you. It was at the people who just don't like it as a movie. :)

I always have a hard time putting Field of Dreams in sports movies but never The Natural.

The question to me: Is it mostly about sports or is it more about something else?

Field of Dreams to me is mostly about the supernatural and afterlife. The Natural has some supernatural qualities but it's mostly about baseball.

Bull Durham to me is mostly about the life in minor league baseball while a fan and a player happen to have a romance going.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Haven't seen The Art of Flight mentioned
By far the Best Shot snowboarding film I've ever seen. If you enjoy snowboarding/skiing and haven't seen it I'd highly recommend.