Best Sports Movie

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
1. Field of Dreams
2. Tin Cup
3. Bull Durham
4. American Flyers
5. Dances with Wolves

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Surprised so many people have Moneyball so high on their lists. It's a great movie but I'm hard pressed to put it maybe 4th or 5th at best in my top 5 baseball movies. The Bad News Bears (the original movie not the Billy Bob Thornton version) The Rookie and The Natural are fighting for those 2 spots as well as Major League. 42 probably is on the top 10 bubble. I guess some of the opinions are based on what generation you grew up in too.

Another highly under-rated baseball movie is Million Dollar Arm. If you have not seen it yet you should, it is based off a true story.

A few more non-baseball movies to add to the discussion not mentioned yet: Tin Cup, Rudy, and Little Giants.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Surprised so many people have Moneyball so high on their lists. It's a great movie but I'm hard pressed to put it maybe 4th or 5th at best in my top 5 baseball movies. The Bad News Bears (the original movie not the Billy Bob Thornton version) The Rookie and The Natural are fighting for those 2 spots as well as Major League. 42 probably is on the top 10 bubble. I guess some of the opinions are based on what generation you grew up in too.

Another highly under-rated baseball movie is Million Dollar Arm. If you have not seen it yet you should, it is based off a true story.

A few more non-baseball movies to add to the discussion not mentioned yet: Tin Cup, Rudy, and Little Giants.

Moneyball is a great movie. I could easily put it in my baseball top 3.

The Natural holds the top spot in that category for me.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I have 'The Natural' as my #1 baseball movie but really love 'Moneyball'.

As for underrated, another seriously underrated baseball movie is 'Long Gone'.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I hate to be that guy that posts questionable sports, but I really liked Meru (and Free Solo, but preferred Meru) and Ford. vs. Ferrari.

I don’t really like many team sports movies as they are kind of cheesy, but the more individualized one do it for me in movie form. I think team sports stories are so complicated they’re better for book readin but individual sports that I don’t know anything about are good for a two hour movie.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Most Underrated: The Natural

Most Overrated: Rocky

Tops for Me in No Order:
Seabuscuit
The Natural
I, Tonya
Field of Dreams
A League of Their Own
Foxcatcher
Jerry Maguire
Hoop Dreams

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
It’s no Moneyball, but No No: A Dockumentary is worth a watch, especially if you can remember the ‘60’s & 70’s.

Reactions: Doc

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It’s no Moneyball, but No No: A Dockumentary is worth a watch, especially if you can remember the ‘60’s & 70’s.

Great reference. Another great documentary is 'The Battered Bastards of Baseball'. Great stuff.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Diehard, oh wait that’s best Xmas movie. Brian’s Song deserves a mention, especially if you like a good cry.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Ok, fine, let’s get definitive here. :p

1. The Natural
2. A League Of Their Own
3. Moneyball
4. For Love Of The Game
5. 42
6. Field Of Dreams

Baseball comedies are a different category but Major League is the best one. Then Bull Durham. Rookie of the Year and The Sandlot 3a and 3b.

(Edit: just defining baseball movies here, not all sports movies. Obviously quite subjective here as well.)

Last edited: