If the NCAA tournament doesn’t happen...

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Sounds like they are meeting today and will announce something tomorrow. I think they will say it is suspended but they will still select teams.

There are some schools that still want to have it from the sounds of things. Heard Goodman on the radio and he said he polled about 90 coaches and it was something like 50 to 40 in favor of cancelling.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Crap! If I had to pick one sporting event that I couldn't live without, it would be the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Nothing like hunkering down and watching game after game for a couple of weeks. Even if weren't a part this year, I'm going to miss it.

I'm personally done with basketball this year. I don't want to be reminded of the pain.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
With Duke and Kansas pulling out, there is no chance it doesn't get cancelled. Considering the Duke leader that made the decision is on the board for the NCAA, he likely knows the decision already.

100% agree. Duke and KU wouldn't pull out of the tournament unless they already know something that just hasn't been made official yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
With Duke and Kansas pulling out, there is no chance it doesn't get cancelled. Considering the Duke leader that made the decision is on the board for the NCAA, he likely knows the decision already.

Well, technically they didn't pull out. The AD just suspended all athletic teams events and travel for now. To me it sounds like what is going to happen is NCAA will suspend tournament but still have selection of teams just in case circumstances change.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
A friend said they are talking postponement. Coaches say they could play it as late as May

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I guess I am more OK with them just cancelling altogether or postponing than playing in empty stadiums. That is not how one of the biggest sporting events of the year is meant to played. I think a delay or postponement followed by playing it the right way at a later date is the right play here.

Plus how far would you postpone it? I mean if you postpone it 2 to 3 weeks, you're getting close to finals and draft workouts.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That’s the thing that they have been saying. Everyone should take precautions. Certain people should take more precautions. It should be case by case basis at this point. Wholesale societal stops are not needed at this point.

Then I assume they knew these things:

-Exactly who and how many are infected by it and where, and that those people are quarantined, and the public can know who and where specifically to stay away from.

-How major events are supposed to handle the virus to keep people from spreading it person to person.

If they don't know these exact things, they don't know enough including what a whole society will do.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Plus how far would you postpone it? I mean if you postpone it 2 to 3 weeks, you're getting close to finals and draft workouts.
Yeah good question. I think April would be the latest you could reasonably go. If you don't play it all though, what was the point of the last 4 months?

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
If the tournament is not played ...the NCAA will be bankrupt since the MBB tournament pays for basically all the NCAA operations for the year. I doubt CBS TNT have to play them if the games are not played.

I think the payment is over $1 billion per year!

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yeah good question. I think April would be the latest you could reasonably go. If you don't play it all though, what was the point of the last 4 months?

Allen Iverson would like to answer your question - "practice, 4 months of practice, we talking practice".