Xavier Foster Committed To Iowa State

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
You take the great recruits if you can get them. The key is piecing guys around him that will develop and not leave early as well. Prohm knows Xavier's situation and shouldn't be caught off guard if/when he wants to leave in 2 years. If Xavier leaves and at the same time Blackwell and Dubar leave, then you have a problem, but saying "you shouldn't go after high end recruits because they leave early" is pretty outrageous.

Both THT and Lindell leaving early hurt us this season. For whatever reason, Prohm wasn't equipped for both of those things to happen. Tyrese is leaving early this year and we'd be much better with him on the team next year, but those young talented players leaving early helps recruiting. High level talented guys are choosing to come to Ames, Iowa to help them get to the pros and that's an awesome thing. With that being said, Prohm has to figure out how to whether the storm when that happens, or else Prohm's career here will be cut short.

I think that is what has me with a bitter taste in my mouth right now. Lindell seems like a great early comp for Xavier. A guy with some aspirations that may not quite have it together, despite having all the talent in the world. Lindell was already thinking about his first minutes on an NBA court before he had ever set foot in Hilton, and it got neither he nor ISU very far. Prohm can keep going after these guys, but he needs to be better prepared for when they leave, I agree completely. Taking guys who go pro early and watching them in the NBA is fun, but do you think Iowa fans care if Luka Garza is an NBA player or not? The answer is no, as long as they're still winning games. I'd take Iowa State basketball success over our guys going pro in a heartbeat. That means more guys like Niang, Morris, or Garza if you will, along with the Wigginton's, THT's, and Fosters.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The reason Born isn’t a P6 player has nothing to do with his offense. You can definitely get away with playing a guy his size who can score like he can offensively. It’s because he can’t guard at a P6 level. Our 6’1 guards get murdered on switches now, and they are taller, more athletic, and quite a bit more filled out than Born. That being said I am really rooting for the kid. Went to his dad basketball camps growing up, seemed like a great guy.
Wippersnapper. I played with Mike at State gym a few times.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The reason Born isn’t a P6 player has nothing to do with his offense. You can definitely get away with playing a guy his size who can score like he can offensively. It’s because he can’t guard at a P6 level. Our 6’1 guards get murdered on switches now, and they are taller, more athletic, and quite a bit more filled out than Born. That being said I am really rooting for the kid. Went to his dad basketball camps growing up, seemed like a great guy.
It seems like a simple coaching correction would help in those awful situations where guys like Caleb Grill get matched up on guys like Cam McGriff. That's just the most recent example, but it happens every game.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
1- I can’t wait till next year to really see how things turn out
2- it will be fun to come back to this thread in the years and see who was right.

3- anyone that plays at a mid major will always be down graded and told he could not do the same at a P6 conference. Hell people were saying that about Doug McDermott and how if he played at ISU he would not of been player of the year. It is apples to apples. It’s called talent
Your obsession of some of these high school kids is creepy.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
He will get plenty of opportunities to play the P6 teams in pre conference and NCAA tourney

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think that is what has me with a bitter taste in my mouth right now. Lindell seems like a great early comp for Xavier. A guy with some aspirations that may not quite have it together, despite having all the talent in the world. Lindell was already thinking about his first minutes on an NBA court before he had ever set foot in Hilton, and it got neither he nor ISU very far. Prohm can keep going after these guys, but he needs to be better prepared for when they leave, I agree completely. Taking guys who go pro early and watching them in the NBA is fun, but do you think Iowa fans care if Luka Garza is an NBA player or not? The answer is no, as long as they're still winning games. I'd take Iowa State basketball success over our guys going pro in a heartbeat. That means more guys like Niang, Morris, or Garza if you will, along with the Wigginton's, THT's, and Fosters.

One year during football 2 a days Coach Mac brought in a speaker. The first thing the speaker asked was "how many guys in this room want to play in the NFL?" Out of 105 players in that room maybe 30 raised their hands. The speaker then turned to coach Mac and said "Well there is your problem you have a room full of guys who don't want to get to the next level".

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He will get plenty of opportunities to play the P6 teams in pre conference and NCAA tourney
How many pre conference for next year?
And the NCAA tournament is never a given or what conference your opponent may be from.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's certainly fair.. Prohm has to figure a lot of things out but he's figured out how to get talent here and that's a very good thing. He now needs to take the next step of finding the right pieces to surround that talent who can be form a solid nucleus and still compete if that talent leaves early. Then when the next few talented young guys come in, they have older "vets" who have been through the ropes and can lean on them when the times get tough. Those are usually the best teams in the nation, not the teams full of one and done guys.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
2- it will be fun to come back to this thread in the years and see who was right.

3- anyone that plays at a mid major will always be down graded and told he could not do the same at a P6 conference. Hell people were saying that about Doug McDermott and how if he played at ISU he would not of been player of the year. It is apples to apples. It’s called talent
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400548679

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
In the last two year's, UNI has played a whopping 4 P6 teams, while playing 6 games against Division II or Division III teams. To make matters worse UNI has played the same amount of D III teams in the last two year's as they have P6 teams.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

There is very little fun in you coming back to this thread for any reason.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I’ve said this to many people. I believe Henry and Born will have a better college career then Foster. Henry is like Doug McDermott was at Ames. Over shadowed by a player with more hype. He is going to do real well at the college level. Born will also be a top level player.

Let me get this straight. You are convinced that Cole Henry, who was not recruited by any P6 program, and is currently not good enough to see the floor in the MVC, will be better than a consensus Top 75 recruit?

• Funny
Reactions: isutrevman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Let me get this straight. You are convinced that Cole Henry, who was not recruited by any P6 program, and is currently not good enough to see the floor in the MVC, will be better than a consensus Top 75 recruit?
The crazy thing about this would be if his take were "We'll see how things end up because it's happened before", no one would even care. But he's willing to die on the hill that Cole Henry is going to be a better player than a kid who was offered by two of the best teams in the country currently, is 7 feet tall, and hasn't even scratched the surface as to what type of player he could be.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Just going off the last 4 or 5 years, he'd play about 3-4 games against p6 competition. You could add another game assuming they'll be a tourney team the next 2 years but I'm not sure that's "plenty".

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The crazy thing about this would be if his take were "We'll see how things end up because it's happened before", no one would even care. But he's willing to die on the hill that Cole Henry is going to be a better player than a kid who was offered by two of the best teams in the country currently, is 7 feet tall, and hasn't even scratched the surface as to what type of player he could be.

...and he will come back here when Cole averages 13 PPG his senior year against the likes of Drake and Evansville and claim he had a better "career".

Reactions: CyDude16

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
...and he will come back here when Cole averages 13 PPG his senior year against the likes of Drake and Evansville and claim he had a better "career".
Cole Henry is going to have a tough time playing next year too.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I don't expect much from Foster next year, but trying to predict who will have a better career in two vastly different conferences is idiotic.

Reactions: CyDude16

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron