COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MJN

Aug 13, 2011
Urbandale
Here is an analysis on ISU basketball that isn’t neutered like Chris’s:

Prohm is a horrid in-game coach.

We have seen good coaching in the recent past in Ames and it was not from Prohm.

Apathy has set in.

Apologists such as Macloney and Cat are trash and should be made to feel like trash as they call out critics.

This is our team and it’s not being run in an acceptable way.

Most basketball novices could get the same results out of this team. Being a coach does not make one an expert any more than somebody who moves up a corporate ladder.

You seem like a nice guy

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Most talented team? Always easy to look back in retrospect. That team also had no bench in probably was the most loaded the big 12 has ever been.

I admire your effort.

But, like the way people repeat talking points in life that are in no way shape or form based in fact, this is one of those dumb talking points they seem to have latched on to.

it was a 6 man rotation. Naz played til Burton became eligible. McKay didn’t have to practice for Fred, and had mad problems with accountability.

But they just knew that Abdel Nader was a draft pick, Matt Thomas was going to be a surefire nba player, Naz was going to play pg in the league. And of course they all knew about Deonte, even though he had not played a game at Iowa State.

but nba bench guys made that team one cal or k would be lucky to coach.

that’s what’s dumb. There are plenty of things you can point to that show prohm struggles with things like adjustments and structure and disciplined play.

but a short roster that still won 23 games and made one of FOUR sweet 16’s in the 115 years of basketball shows again, it’s not just about his coaching.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and MJN

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You seem like a nice guy

yeah he’s a classy one. When jaden committed, he came on here, and ripped on him.

kids and parents read these things to get an idea of what kind of place they’re trusting their kid to for 4-5 years.

you’re seeing it.

Reactions: MJN

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
"There is no better group of shoebox money bagmen in the NCAA ranks."

Signed,
FBI
Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Washington, Oregon and UCLA all have much better bagmen than Kansas. Georgia's has been coming up big lately as well. And tip of the cap to Western Kentucky, whose guy is putting out some serious coin now that Rick Stansbury is there.

• Creative
Reactions: NWICY

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Here is an analysis on ISU basketball that isn’t neutered like Chris’s:

Prohm is a horrid in-game coach.

We have seen good coaching in the recent past in Ames and it was not from Prohm.

Apathy has set in.

Apologists such as Macloney and Cat are trash and should be made to feel like trash as they call out critics.

This is our team and it’s not being run in an acceptable way.

Most basketball novices could get the same results out of this team. Being a coach does not make one an expert any more than somebody who moves up a corporate ladder.

Slow your roll a little, slim.

I don't know if presenting facts about the history of ISU basketball like records and NCAA tournament results and being realistic about what expectations the fan base should have makes me an apologist.

No one is happy with this year's results, but some of us try to be pragmatic about the situation.

Besides a questionable Final 4 in an 8 team tournament, ISU has one Elite 8 appearance. What are realistic expectations and what are not?

Also, you guys all act like you are owed something and are all experts on recruiting and coaching college basketball. None of you are owed anything and none of you know a thing about coaching D1 basketball. Criticism is fine, unfounded and false arguments just make people on here look like entitled bad fans.

Lastly, if you think that what a bunch of rubes post on a message board makes me feel like trash then you are delusional. I would also say that you calling me trash anonymously on CF says more about who the "trash" is than anything I have said to or about you. Pretty cool, tough guy.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm hoping we'll have two more open spots that Prohm can use to go out and get two really good shooters, one being a stud PG, and the other either being a shooting 2 guard or shooting small forward.

If that happens, then maybe we can get back to the NIT at least next year. Getting back to the NCAA is probably going to take 2-3 years now based on how bad our talent level is at right now.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'm hoping we'll have two more open spots that Prohm can use to go out and get two really good shooters, one being a stud PG, and the other either being a shooting 2 guard or shooting small forward......

Agree. But we also must see some kind of shake-up with the assistant staff. Bring in a proven defensive minded guy and we'll increase our chances for improvement next year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Agree. But we also must see some kind of shake-up with the assistant staff. Bring in a proven defensive minded guy and we'll increase our chances for improvement next year.

It drives me insane to realize that Prohm has sacrificed our offense in order to have a great defensive team, and we're dead last in defense in the conference.

So now we not only don't have an offense, we don't have a defense either. At least with Fred we had an awesome offense to watch. Now we have nothing to show up for.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I think this talking point is overrated. We're going to go bring in a top shelf assistant for a year that basically everybody acknowledges is a must win. A great assistant isn't going to come here if he's afraid of the head coach getting canned in 12 months. The staff is likely to be as good as it's going to be. A surprise commitment, a big improvement in our current guys, or a commit being very good is our path to being better next year.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Based on what we’ve seen I don’t think this has to be a two-year rebuild to get to the NCAAs. To get near the top of the conference, yes. They really need a PG.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Based on what we’ve seen I don’t think this has to be a two-year rebuild to get to the NCAAs. To get near the top of the conference, yes. They really need a PG.

Remember when ISU had a lottery pick for a PG and how bad they were? (2019-2020)

This team needs much more than one guy. People that don't realize this need to get a whole new perspective on where this roster is. There are about 2-3 Big 12 role players on the team and maybe 1 or 2 guys that could maybe start at other schools. ISU needs three legit Big 12 starters added to the roster for next season to make the NCAA tourney a remote possibility or the current roster needs to be coached up like they've never been coached before.

Have folks not noticed how noncompetitive and passive this team is against anyone with any sort of talent or toughness?

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Throw out all the things that have happened on the court, and think of the last two seasons.

Last year our best player broke his toe in a team brawl during practice.

This year the team has all but said that they mailed it in.

Are those qualities that good coaches would ever allow? Hell no. Now add in the fact that in any big game he's ever been in we have never outperformed. 2016 we played two double digit seeds to get to the sweet 16. The next year we lost to Purdue in a game that Prohm could be charged for coaching malpractice. We haven't won a tournament game since Nevada in 2017... and we won't win another at the very earliest til 2021. Let that sink in. Fire this fool into the SWAC where he belongs.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Washington, Oregon and UCLA all have much better bagmen than Kansas. Georgia's has been coming up big lately as well. And tip of the cap to Western Kentucky, whose guy is putting out some serious coin now that Rick Stansbury is there.
This post makes me wonder where Dave Rice is at now. That dude must have been offering insane cash to get people to come play for him since he was a horrid coach at UNLV