COLUMN: An analysis on the future of Iowa State basketball

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Do you think that asking teams to checkout of rooms early or charging coaches families to fly with the team helps keep coaches here or drives them away?

They had just won the tourney in HI, getting all kinds of exposure for ISU and the AD has them check out early. That's cheap BS.

SP is the value coach the AD wants. Being just OK will work here.
Travis Hines, is that you?

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They weren't forced to check out early; they checked out and had to kill a few hours before their flight to avoid getting charged an extra night. Pretty standard practice for anyone who travels.

Why do you think Fred refuted the article so emphatically?

This type of discussion reminds me...the offseason is just mere weeks away.

Can't wait.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I’m firmly in apathy mode right now. I watched most of the game and really didn’t have any feelings one way or the other after the loss - feels...normal, unfortunately.

Someone please give me some hope for next year. Because I’m not seeing it.

• Informative

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
First game I’ve subjected myself to for awhile. Not a productive use of time.

• Winner

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Here is an analysis on ISU basketball that isn’t neutered like Chris’s:

Prohm is a horrid in-game coach.

We have seen good coaching in the recent past in Ames and it was not from Prohm.

Apathy has set in.

Apologists such as Macloney and Cat are trash and should be made to feel like trash as they call out critics.

This is our team and it’s not being run in an acceptable way.

Most basketball novices could get the same results out of this team. Being a coach does not make one an expert any more than somebody who moves up a corporate ladder.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I was on team Terrence the first half of the season, but the last 2-3 weeks I'm not convinced any longer that he is going to get it turned around in time for his senior year, and unfortunately, Zion looks just as bad. I just don't think they're P6 talents, and while Zion could potentially pan out still, they're both running low on time.

Everyone else on the team looks the part of at least a big 12 role player, including the freshman.

It's really easy to forget Terrence and Zion were highly ranked recruits, and that their lack of development is actually pretty massive in terms of how important they should be to this year's team. If Terrence could have been at this level as a freshman instead of a junior, that would be fine. If Zion was at least as productive as Conditt, that would be fine. But they weren't and aren't. Extremely disappointing, and I'm not sure you can put that blame solely on the staff. Sometimes kids just dont get it.

Screw the staff though, for still letting Nixon play this much

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was on team Terrence the first half of the season, but the last 2-3 weeks I'm not convinced any longer that he is going to get it turned around in time for his senior year, and unfortunately, Zion looks just as bad. I just don't think they're P6 talents, and while Zion could potentially pan out still, they're both running low on time.

Everyone else on the team looks the part of at least a big 12 role player, including the freshman.

It's really easy to forget Terrence and Zion were highly ranked recruits, and that their lack of development is actually pretty massive in terms of how important they should be to this year's team. If Terrence could have been at this level as a freshman instead of a junior, that would be fine. If Zion was at least as productive as Conditt, that would be fine. But they weren't and aren't. Extremely disappointing, and I'm not sure you can put that blame solely on the staff. Sometimes kids just dont get it.

Well who would you have play more?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

...has Conditt gotten THAT much better?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
You would be hard pressed to find a staff of assistant coaches who have been together with the same head coach for
longer than Self, Roberts, Townsend and Snacks.

"There is no better group of shoebox money bagmen in the NCAA ranks."

Signed,
FBI

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yup, I believe he's talking about 2017.

Starting the clock with the Hoiberg era --

upload_2020-3-1_0-18-35.png

2016-2017 was the best year for the Big 12 of that increment.

Yes, the conference got better even after Niang and Hield left. Obviously, Prohm has his present problems to answer to, but going 12-6 and winning the conference tournament in such a loaded conference like that was an impressive accomplishment.

This list of the best guys in the conference that year --

upload_2020-3-1_0-19-50.png

...is pretty terrifying.

Monté wins CPOTY in a lot of seasons. Not that year.

The conference is down now compared to then, but still better than it was during the first few years of the Hoiberg era. The Big 12 is really top-heavy now, though, with KU, BU, and WVU and seven mediocre/bad teams, not good top-to-bottom.

MJN

Aug 13, 2011
Urbandale
His first season he went 10-8 in conference with what might have been the most talented Cyclone teams in recent history. That's a pretty big underachievement. We were only 1 game above 7th place that year and playing on Wednesday

Most talented team? Always easy to look back in retrospect. That team also had no bench in probably was the most loaded the big 12 has ever been.

• Agree
Reactions: spitfyr36