Dow down 3,000 points in the last week

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
I bet you felt really smart from the rise from 16,000 to 29,000 the past several years too huh?

Exactly. I was ready to invest some money in 2016 when Trump got elected and my thought process was "the market hates volatility, and nothing is more volatile than Donald Trump. I'll wait until the market inevitably tanks and invest then."

Hindsight is 20/20, and can also be a cruel *****.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Exactly. I was ready to invest some money in 2016 when Trump got elected and my thought process was "the market hates volatility, and nothing is more volatile than Donald Trump. I'll wait until the market inevitably tanks and invest then."

Time in the market > Timing the market
Pretty much always.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

You’re right to a point. The markets don’t like unpredictability, but would could have been more predictable with both houses and the White House controlled by Republicans? Tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy, and de regulation.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
You’re right to a point. The markets don’t like unpredictability, but would could have been more predictable with both houses and the White House controlled by Republicans? Tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy, and de regulation.

Good point. Wish I would have thought about that four years ago.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

IIRC there was a study that showed markets did less well the year OF a presidential election, and then better the year AFTER the election, regardless of which party won. The idea was the reduced uncertainty was more important than the party or any potential policy effects.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Have my monthly Roth contribution scheduled for today. Looks like I’m getting more bang for the buck. Wheee

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
IIRC there was a study that showed markets did less well the year OF a presidential election, and then better the year AFTER the election, regardless of which party won. The idea was the reduced uncertainty was more important than the party or any potential policy effects.

Which is a good chunk of Trump's 'gains'. The market restoring itself to where it would have been had it simply stayed on the same trajectory it had been on since 2009, without the dip in growth we saw in 2016

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Have my monthly Roth contribution scheduled for today. Looks like I’m getting more bang for the buck. Wheee

I said the same thing. I work for an asset manager and we are getting more emails about the COVID-19 virus than we are about the market correction

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Which is a good chunk of Trump's 'gains'. The market restoring itself to where it would have been had it simply stayed on the same trajectory it had been on since 2009, without the dip in growth we saw in 2016

Presidents and the economy are like QBs in football. They get most of the credit/blame, much more than they actually impact. Just too many other independent variables.

Of course, every president will claim all the good news, and blame anything bad on the previous guy. That's one thing both parties can agree on lol.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

And rampant deregulation leads to...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron