NBA: ***NBA 2019-2020 Season***

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
8-12 with Kyrie when he did play. Not encouraging early returns after their big investment in him, KD, and (lol) Deandre Jordan.

That Deandre Jordan signing just signaled to the rest of the league that Kyrie and KD didn't want to put the actual work in to win. Hopefully Spence and Caris can find teams that give a ****.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I would have never signed Kyrie for a huge contract. Guy is a head case and always hurt.

I like watching him play. There aren't many guys in the league with handles like him or who can finish at the rim in so many different ways. Just a super creative player.

But personality-wise he's oil and water with like, everybody. Just kind of an odd career. Nine seasons in, one ring where he hit the series clinching shot, six All -Star appearances, two All-NBA years, and despite all that still on his third team.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I like watching him play. There aren't many guys in the league with handles like him or who can finish at the rim in so many different ways. Just a super creative player.

But personality-wise he's oil and water with like, everybody. Just kind of an odd career. Nine seasons in, one ring where he hit the series clinching shot, six All -Star appearances, two All-NBA years, and despite all that still on his third team.

He's a guy where you kind of want to say you can't win with someone who plays like that...except he did win a title as the clear second best player on a team. Can Durant recreate that with him? It felt like he had a very specific role with Cleveland, we're going to hide you on defense and allow you to go one on one as much as you want when LeBron needs to rest on that end or is out of the game. LeBron and Kyrie never had a great two man game, especially when you consider how talented they both are offensively, it was more like they just took turns. The rest of the guys on those Cavs teams either spotted up or rolled and crashed. The Celtics had multiple options who could create off the dribble and it was an odd fit with Kyrie, the Nets are the same way, with Dinwiddie and Lavert besides Durant. Can Kyrie succeed in an offense like that?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He's a guy where you kind of want to say you can't win with someone who plays like that...except he did win a title as the clear second best player on a team. Can Durant recreate that with him? It felt like he had a very specific role with Cleveland, we're going to hide you on defense and allow you to go one on one as much as you want when LeBron needs to rest on that end or is out of the game. LeBron and Kyrie never had a great two man game, especially when you consider how talented they both are offensively, it was more like they just took turns. The rest of the guys on those Cavs teams either spotted up or rolled and crashed. The Celtics had multiple options who could create off the dribble and it was an odd fit with Kyrie, the Nets are the same way, with Dinwiddie and Lavert besides Durant. Can Kyrie succeed in an offense like that?

Short answer, no. I remember someone (probably Bill Simmons, maybe Zach Lowe) calling him a basketball genius once, and I think that's apt. You can tell he has a really high basketball IQ and he can see lanes and angles that others just can't. But with a guy like that you kind of have to be OK with just handing him the ball and letting him create. Tough to win a championship that way. The Cavs only managed it once, and even that was only with one of the best two or three players ever submitting an all time great Finals.
I have real doubts that Kyrie can exist in their current setup, and it could potentially be even worse with KD back. You have two pretty thin skinned superstars there. How long before the public sniping starts?

Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Those boys can make the playoffs now. I would love to see them fight with Spence and LeVert.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Pelicans at Mavs tonight on ESPN. Zion vs. Luka, Round One. I might put off going to bed for an hour so I can catch the first half. I think both guys will put on a pretty good show.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28844528/excited-stephen-curry-minutes-restriction

Steph Curry back in limited action tonight. With twenty games to go in the regular season the Warriors have a three game "lead" on the Cavs for the worst record in the league. Will Steph coming back be enough to push the Warriors out of the bottom three and the best odds to land the top pick? Expect the Knicks, Hawks, and Wolves to go into full tank mode soon if they haven't already.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Reactions: cyguy9320