Friday OT #2 - The Modern Stone-Age Family

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I've had these time machine discussions and fantasies several times in my life. Being a huge lover of time travel books and movies I think it's built into my psyche.

One variation we did was - You get 30 days total but can spend them anywhere - and in any length per use. So 3 days at Woodstock gives you 27 days to spend elsewhere/elsewhen.

I still think my 'sweet spot' is 1955 - 1972. I could go back to 1945 if stretching it.

But having no immediate informational source as nearly complete and at your fingertips like the internet would be very difficult to re-adjust to.

And medical advances since then have been pretty amazing as well.

It would be nice if you could go back in time but bring a functional smart phone that still connects to today's internet for informational purposes.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Right now is the greatest time in the history of our species.

I would not want to go back. I like modern medicine, sanitation, and dentistry too much. The average American now lives better than did the Roman emperors.

Going back in time and remaining at the same station basically invariable means you are a subsistence level farmer and enslaved (either formally through something called slavery or informally through serfdom or being a peasant and none of those sound fun).

Going forward...? Not sure what you are going into, to be honest.

So I am good right here. It is the best time that we know for sure about.

:)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I would not want to go back. I like modern medicine, sanitation, and dentistry too much. The average American now lives better than did the Roman emperors.

Going back in time and remaining at the same station basically invariable means you are a subsistence level farmer and enslaved (either formally through something called slavery or informally through serfdom or being a peasant and none of those sound fun).

giphy.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
What time era in all of history would you like to live in, if not the present? You can go before age of men, any place, whatever.
See - that's my problem. I really don't want to lose the ground women have gained in just MY lifetime. So I definitely would NOT want to go into the past. :D
I'd like to go into a future that includes affordable space travel. I'd like to leave this planet and explore other ones.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

But we're all outraged

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
See - that's my problem. I really don't want to lose the ground women have gained in just MY lifetime. So I definitely would NOT want to go into the past. :D
I'd like to go into a future that includes affordable space travel. I'd like to leave this planet and explore other ones.

I dont see why you cant do that now. They have sent Chimp's into space, no reason why an Orangutan cant be next. :p

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
As I age I realize that nobody wants to see this naked ape breaking out any more.

Yeah, but I think that's why nobody can just be happy.

We're not wired to be happy. We're wired to be paranoid.

This is also why I think stuff like conspiracy theories and true crime has gotten so popular in recent decades. They always had some interest in prior decades, but they went from fringe interests to frankly cornerstones of popular culture in the past twenty years.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
None to stay permanently.

I'd love to visit late 1700's American. Maybe right before the revolution

Visit the time of King Arthur. Depending which social class I"m in, for sure.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd like to see a time before all of the buildings and pollution just to see what it was like. I'd love to go back to when wolves and black bears and such inhabited what was going to be Iowa.

Otherwise the 1960's for all the drastic changes...I'd also like to compare notes to what the Boomers' parents were saying about them to see how it compares to what everyone's saying about Millenials. :)

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'd like to see a time before all of the buildings and pollution just to see what it was like. I'd love to go back to when wolves and black bears and such inhabited what was going to be Iowa.

Otherwise the 1960's for all the drastic changes...I'd also like to compare notes to what the Boomers' parents were saying about them to see how it compares to what everyone's saying about Millenials. :)
They did. According to my father my generation is all lazy hippies that never had to work for anything. Additionally: rock music, hallucinogens, and the sexual revolution were going to be the downfall of America.

• Funny
Reactions: madguy30

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Yeah, but I think that's why nobody can just be happy.

We're not wired to be happy. We're wired to be paranoid.

This is also why I think stuff like conspiracy theories and true crime has gotten so popular in recent decades. They always had some interest in prior decades, but they went from fringe interests to frankly cornerstones of popular culture in the past twenty years.

You think conspiracy theories and true crime have only recently gotten popular?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You think conspiracy theories and true crime have only recently gotten popular?

I think they only recently went truly mainstream.

There are a lot of reasons for that, but I will spare you the essay.

But I am well aware things like pamphlets about true crime, wizardly, witchcraft and the like was ubiquitously popular throughout early modern Europe, for instance,