Bohannon out for year

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
So after this year he'll have 3 guys in two years that have been drafted that he recruited to come to Iowa State, one of them being a lottery pick.. How is that not doing a "pretty good job"? Lol
He can recruit. He can’t coach a team.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I haven't seen anyone claim its a given that he'll turn it around next year, just that it's a possibility. You seem to be claiming that it can't happen with Prohm, when it's already been done once.

I don't think we'll be very good next year either, but I don't know that for sure. There are too many unknowns.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
So after this year he'll have 3 guys in two years that have been drafted that he recruited to come to Iowa State, one of them being a lottery pick.. How is that not doing a "pretty good job"? Lol

Why are you just using 2 years, in which he will get 0 NCAA tourney wins, to determine if he can get talent or not?

I put the list out there for you. Its far from a slam dunk in saying that he is good at getting talent.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Why are you just using 2 years, in which he will get 0 NCAA tourney wins, to determine if he can get talent or not?

I put the list out there for you. Its far from a slam dunk in saying that he is good at getting talent.
If Prohm isn't good at getting talent what does that make Fran?

• Winner
Reactions: CyclonesRock

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He can recruit. He can’t coach a team.
He's had some great games coaching and he's had some poor ones. People love to highlight his losses, while giving him absolutely zero credit for his wins. The amount of time it takes to build a program varies from coach to coach, team to team. Prohm came in and did a good job with the talent that was already here. He also did a good job of getting pieces to help the team succeed his second year as head coach. These last 3 seasons are extremely common for new coaches in that you make the tournament 1 out of 3 years.

Look at Iowa and UNI as examples of giving their coaches time. It took Fran to year 9-10 before his fan base actually rallied around him. Sure he had some good teams before this year and last, but the fan base did not back him up at all. After the year UNI beat KU, Ben Jacobson and the Panthers missed 4 straight tournaments, made two in a row, missed three in a row, and now are going to have to fight to make it in again this year in order to not miss it for the 4th straight year again.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Because after this year, Prohm will have more guys drafted by him than Fran does in his entire 10 years at Iowa. I use these last two years because you don't give Prohm any credit whatsoever for his first two years as the head coach here. If you did, I'd say Prohm has more Sweet 16 appearances in his 5 years at Iowa State than Iowa does with their last 3 coaches. Prohm has as many NCAA tournament wins as Fran. Prohm has more conference tournament championships than Fran. Prohm has more final AP poll finishes than Fran.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
Because after this year, Prohm will have more guys drafted by him than Fran does in his entire 10 years at Iowa. I use these last two years because you don't give Prohm any credit whatsoever for his first two years as the head coach here. If you did, I'd say Prohm has more Sweet 16 appearances in his 5 years at Iowa State than Iowa does with their last 3 coaches. Prohm has as many NCAA tournament wins as Fran. Prohm has more conference tournament championships than Fran. Prohm has more final AP poll finishes than Fran.

We know Prohm walked into a great situation and we know he hasnt won much at all with his own guys.

• Creative
Reactions: HoustonClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We know Prohm walked into a great situation and we know he hasnt won much at all with his own guys.
He's had 3 years with his own guys.. One of which he won a Big 12 tournament title and got a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament. Iowa's having a great season this year, everyone is ranting and raving about the greatness of them, and they're going to probably end up getting a 6 seed.

Our fan base got mad about what Steve did last year with that team and people are acting like this Iowa team is the best thing since sliced bread.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He's had 3 years with his own guys.. One of which he won a Big 12 tournament title and got a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament. Iowa's having a great season this year, everyone is ranting and raving about the greatness of them, and they're going to probably end up getting a 6 seed.

Our fan base got mad about what Steve did last year with that team and people are acting like this Iowa team is the best thing since sliced bread.

Mic drop

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019

Should have said no NCAA tourney success with his own guys.

He did make ISU fans dreams come true by allowing them to spend Spring Break in Missouri.

You have already touched on the bolded part. You claimed Prohm got all this NBA talent and then he couldnt beat an 11 seed and get out of the first round.

Most on this board, yourself included, thought Iowa was going to be terrible this year.

You dont see why there would have been different reactions to each season?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
He's had some great games coaching and he's had some poor ones. People love to highlight his losses, while giving him absolutely zero credit for his wins. The amount of time it takes to build a program varies from coach to coach, team to team. Prohm came in and did a good job with the talent that was already here. He also did a good job of getting pieces to help the team succeed his second year as head coach. These last 3 seasons are extremely common for new coaches in that you make the tournament 1 out of 3 years.

Look at Iowa and UNI as examples of giving their coaches time. It took Fran to year 9-10 before his fan base actually rallied around him. Sure he had some good teams before this year and last, but the fan base did not back him up at all. After the year UNI beat KU, Ben Jacobson and the Panthers missed 4 straight tournaments, made two in a row, missed three in a row, and now are going to have to fight to make it in again this year in order to not miss it for the 4th straight year again.
Some fans seem to think there's a perfectly linear "trend" line that every program fits to. The line is either always going up, or always going down. There is no such thing as ups and downs from season to season. They see the entire Prohm tenure as "trending downward" even though it hasn't resembled that at all. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen someone post that the program is "trending in the wrong direction"...... One year is not a trend. Last year we weren't trending up, it was one good season. This year we aren't trending down, it's one bad season. If next year is as bad or worse, I'll buy it. Show me at least two seasons before you claim any mythical "trend" exists.

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

Help Support Us

Become a patron