Friday OT #2 - The Modern Stone-Age Family

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What time era in all of history would you like to live in, if not the present? You can go before age of men, any place, whatever.

Reactions: cyclones500

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
64b1d15d305cd24b8c6afccd89ac58517c666efer1-640-512_hq.gif

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Tons of eras I'd like to experience briefly, none that I'd want to stay in.

It's funny, as I was thinking about my late 40s, early 50s response earlier I was thinking of the nostalgia of being with family, sitting around the table, dressing up to go out, etc. I then realized all that **** would get old really quick and I like my electronics way too much to actually want to live in that era. Plus I'd get sick of my kids real quick if I had to spend that much time with them.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's funny, as I was thinking about my late 40s, early 50s response earlier I was thinking of the nostalgia of being with family, sitting around the table, dressing up to go out, etc. I then realized all that **** would get old really quick and I like my electronics way too much to actually want to live in that era. Plus I'd get sick of my kids real quick if I had to spend that much time with them.

Back in that era, or even when I grew up, if the weather outside was remotely survivable, that's where we were sent lol

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Tons of eras I'd like to experience briefly, none that I'd want to stay in.

Yeah, and the amount of time I'd want to spend would also vary greatly depending on the era.

Like, I think going to the Middle Ages or Renaissance times would be amazing... but I don't even want to stay there long enough to have to pee, because chamber pots sound horrifying. And I don't really want to be there long enough to catch the plague or anything.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It would have to be an era with air conditioning. I'm soft - I don't know how people slept before A/C in humid climates.

I like my electronics way too much to actually want to live in that era.

Like, I think going to the Middle Ages or Renaissance times would be amazing... but I don't even want to stay there long enough to have to pee, because chamber pots sound horrifying.

These are good examples of practical aspects ... how much would your current self be able to adapt well enough from your routine reality, things you take for granted in the Here & Now (or the Recent Past).

I think I could go back to a period familiar within my life span, knowing what it was like before central A/C and the internet -- I lived long enough without both and could readjust. But it'd take me far longer to accept the non-existence of, say, recorded music, or TV or movies. Or indoor plumbing. Or sanitization.

If we assume we're transported back and have no "future recollection" of their existence, it's a different matter.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The 70s.

Disco, polyester, bell-bottoms, wide collars, displaying your chest hair, oil embargo, waterbeds, harvest gold appliances, Pintos, mood rings, mutton chops, and a crooked president followed by an emasculated president followed by an incompetent president. It sounds like sarcasm gold to me.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Watching documentaries like "The West" and movies like "The Revenant" and "Last of the Mohicans" makes time periods between 1750s to 1830s look intriguing in a blank space on the map type of way.

The short lifetimes and crippling diseases definitely give me pause.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Mine would all have to be 20th century or later. Prior to that I'd be a basket case just to survive.

Let's say it's a 10-year period, inclusive and it encompasses roughly from my late-teens to early 30s.
* 1919-1928
* 1945-1954
* 1959-1968

Reactions: Angie

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Also can depend what age range a person is during a period. I'd like to experience living in the 1960s, but likely as a teen or a 20-something, but maybe I wouldn't like it as much if I transferred my current self back to that time.

I think a lot can depend on economic or hierarchical status. It might be kinda cool to be in some of the more ancient or medieval times, but only if I were pretty high up on the "food chain."

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I've had these time machine discussions and fantasies several times in my life. Being a huge lover of time travel books and movies I think it's built into my psyche.

One variation we did was - You get 30 days total but can spend them anywhere - and in any length per use. So 3 days at Woodstock gives you 27 days to spend elsewhere/elsewhen.

I still think my 'sweet spot' is 1955 - 1972. I could go back to 1945 if stretching it.

But having no immediate informational source as nearly complete and at your fingertips like the internet would be very difficult to re-adjust to.

And medical advances since then have been pretty amazing as well.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
For me, I've always been fascinated by the victorian/gilded/machine age. To be around when the industrial revolution was really taking hold in America would be fascinating. Of course, I'd only want to go as a spectator. Were I to live in those times, I'd likely be killed in a factory explosion.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I wish I was born in the 40's so more of my adult life could 60's 70's and 80's .

It was a time of where people could not hunt you down via cell phone. Mail was in a white envelope, and for people to have discussions, it had to be done verbally, face to face or over a landline phone and not typing tweet or typing on a message board, (Just like I am now ha ha ha).