Reclining on an airplane? and other flying etiquette

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Do you recline your seat while flying

• Yes

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 132 51.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 71 27.8%

• Total voters

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Millenials are known as the most selfish generation. You are an obvious Millenial.

Meh, I'm actually pretty selfless putting others needs over my own. You don't know a thing about me, but by your responses we know a lot about you. I don't think it's too much to be courteous to each other no matter our age.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you pay for a subway ticket and are sitting, you are allowed to stay sitting while some old lady gets on and has to stand because the seats are full. That doesn't mean a more considerate option doesn't exist.

Pretty much everyone on here is saying you have the right to do it, but it is considerate to A) minimize the level of recline if you can, B) recline slowly and/or give the person behind you a heads up if you need to recline all the way. It never hurts to at least pretend to give a rats ass about your fellow travelers.

Hell, if some disgusting slob that hasn't showered for three days or brushed his teeth gets on board next to you and pulls out a stank ass McDonald's quarter pounder with extra onions, isn't that a little inconsiderate?

The point is there's a lot of real estate between what you have the right to do and being a traveler that shows modest consideration for other travelers. If you have a condition, you need to recline, and pretty much everybody will understand that. But instead you just start off with saying it's your space, you're using it all, you're not saying anything to the person behind you, and people suggesting you do otherwise are pricks.
To be fair, there were several posters on here who stated that if you recline at all you are the prick.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Meh, I'm actually pretty selfless putting others needs over my own. You don't know a thing about me, but by your responses we know a lot about you. I don't think it's too much to be courteous to each other no matter our age.

I have made it plain that I recline slowly. But I must recline for a bit. Seat is in upright on takeoff and landing and during food service. And when I go to restroom and walk and stand a bit. So I am considerate in reclining. You, on the other hand, do not wish for me to recline at all. So who is selfish? Me. Me. Me. Millenial.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I have made it plain that I recline slowly. But I must recline for a bit. Seat is in upright on takeoff and landing and during food service. And when I go to restroom and walk and stand a bit. So I am considerate in reclining. You, on the other hand, do not wish for me to recline at all. So who is selfish? Me. Me. Me. Millenial.

When have I once said people can't recline?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
When have I once said people can't recline?

You said I was rude for reclining. I had repeatedly pointed out when I recline and why I recline. You said I was a jerk. It was all about your knees and comfort. So stop with denials. Me. Me. Me. Millennials.

• Funny
Reactions: ISUKyro

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You said I was rude for reclining. I had repeatedly pointed out when I recline and why I recline. You said I was a jerk. It was all about your knees and comfort. So stop with denials. Me. Me. Me. Millennials.

I think you have me confused with another poster because I have not posted those thoughts.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I’m sure you’ve all seen the video but if not here's a guy that got mad about someone reclining their seat - https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...seat-punch-recline-video-flight-a9333231.html

• Do you guys recline your seat? What do you think of people that do without asking?

Some other flying etiquette questions:
  • Do you guys ask to leave the windows closed?
  • Who gets the middle armrests?
  • Should first class have a dress code?

@ISUCyclones2015, where does this fit in your all-time ranking of posts in a thread you've started? This one doesn't seem to be losing energy. It has to in your Top 25 by now.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I, I must, I, I, me!

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Is anyone else picturing Grampa Simpson when reading @Stormin posts?
No, I picture him as being very irritated by the posts in this thread, but he's made even more irritated because every time he wants to check on any updates, he's gotta ride his damn stair lift back down to the dining room where his '02 Compaq sits in a Sam's Club computer desk with a cracked plastic chair mat underneath.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
So you are the guy lugging backpacks and oversized carryon to avoid paying $30 for a checked bag and claiming extra overhead baggage compartment space. Tell us again how considerate you are of others.
I"ve actually never carried more than a back pack on. It always fits under the seat in front of me.

Keep trying.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I"ve actually never carried more than a back pack on. It always fits under the seat in front of me.

Keep trying.

Yep I carry a backpack on, but store it under the seat in front of me. Keep one change of clothes, in case my suitcase gets lost, along with snacks, tablet, book, etc.

• Agree

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm glad I don't fly very often. Good lord.

I fly close to 200 flights a year and my company spends basically someone's salary's worth to do so. I thought I was entitled and I'll admit that I probably am compared to the average flyer that does 5 flights a year. But there's a forum that's at least 10x bigger than CF that is dedicated to frequent flyers. The entitlement on those forums put people in this thread to shame.

You want to know how entitled people are? Walk on over to Flyer Talk and just shake your head in amazement.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I fly close to 200 flights a year and my company spends basically someone's salary's worth to do so. I thought I was entitled and I'll admit that I probably am compared to the average flyer that does 5 flights a year. But there's a forum that's at least 10x bigger than CF that is dedicated to frequent flyers. The entitlement on those forums put people in this thread to shame.

You want to know how entitled people are? Walk on over to Flyer Talk and just shake your head in amazement.

I have United's Global Services status. This group is the most entitled bunch of travelers I've ever seen.

When I first got the status, I was standing in the very front of the United 1K line waiting for them to start boarding (as I knew I would be invited to board first). Another Global Services guy pushes his way past me. Doesn't say anything, just pushes past.

On another occasion, I'm at the Frankfurt airport at the gate taking care of something with an agent when another Global Services guy comes up (doesn't stand in line), reaches over me to hand something to the agent, saying "I'm Global Services." Seriously? So am I pal. Wait your turn.

It is one thing to enjoy your status (first to board, special help with tight connections, the security line bypass room in Terminal 1 at O'Hare, extra care from flight attendants), but another to push your way past people and demand service like a petulant child.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Probably top 10 at this point! There's some classics I started during my college years that are definitely in CF lore.

Top 10, huh? I was thinking only Top 25 as I recall that you've had some doozies, especially ones where you become the topic!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Keep trying.

Wait, wait, wait. So Stormin is saying he can recline all he wants because the seat lets him (which is true - but doesn’t mean 50% of people don’t think he’s a prick for doing so) but he’s complaining that people bring carryons which they are allowed to do??? Talking out of both sides of his mouth. Color me shocked.

• Funny