Reclining on an airplane? and other flying etiquette

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Do you recline your seat while flying

• Yes

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 132 51.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 71 27.8%

• Total voters

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Knee Defenders have been banned by airlines from what I have read. Never have seen them on a plane.

Me neither. Now fix the seat backs in one locked position and then nobody has cause for complaint either way. Problem solved. :D

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I never recline but I can see how it would be helpful if I had a condition.

Etiquette: for anyone that starts talking to the person next to them, when they're getting their headphones out of their bag, and putting them in, that's a basic social cue that they don't want to chat.

Anyone else an aisle person? I hate making people get out of their seats and like having quick access to the bathroom.
I'm an aisle person for the same reason, as well as the fact that I'm 6'3" and a touch claustrophobic. Those few extra inches of ceiling height there (as well as not having the overheads directly over my head) are comforting to me.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Me neither. Now fix the seat backs in one locked position and then nobody has cause for complaint either way. Problem solved. :D

More likely that last 4 or 5 rows fixed position for Economy. Main Cabin will still have restricted recline. Comfort Class advertises 150% recline. That won’t change. And those seats will recline into Main Cabin seats. Guarantee it. Should Comfort Class not be allowed to fully recline if the Main Cabin seat behind them? Considering the premium price paid the answer is Yes.

Those paying Economy price get a crappy uncomfortable seat. If you can’t make it work without making demands of others that is your problem. I recline. And I don’t complain about the person in front of me. Free to use all seat options that Airline allows. Knee Defenders are banned.

• Winner
Reactions: flycy

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
More likely that last 4 or 5 rows fixed position for Economy. Main Cabin will still have restricted recline. Comfort Class advertises 150% recline. That won’t change. And those seats will recline into Main Cabin seats. Guarantee it. Should Comfort Class not be allowed to fully recline if the Main Cabin seat behind them? Considering the premium price paid the answer is Yes.

Those paying Economy price get a crappy uncomfortable seat. If you can’t make it work without making demands of others that is your problem. I recline. And I don’t complain about the person in front of me. Free to use all seat options that Airline allows. Knee Defenders are banned.
You really make it hard for people to be sympathetic to your condition. Common courtesy is a dying art.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I hear you on this. I brought back 12 bottles of various rum from Duty Free in Puerto Rico last year. I fit 6 in my back back and the other 6 under my feet. I planned ahead though and put as much stuff from my back pack into my checked luggage. After seeing a luggage handler miss the conveyor with a piece of luggage in Atlanta a few years ago and watch it drop 10' to the concrete, I will never put any type of glass item in my checked bag. Even though I had 6 bottles between my feet, they all made it home safely!! So that time is was worth being uncomfortable!

People that do fly a lot pretty much have it down on getting through TSA quickly ( I love having TSA PreCheck!!) Non typical travelers it takes forever. It's like seeing pictures of "People of Walmart." Wallet, cell phone etc go into my backpack, unzip my backpack to show my laptop, and through the scanner.

I just strip down to my thong and hustle through. People seem to let me go to the front of the line for some reason also.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I just strip down to my thong and hustle through. People seem to let me go to the front of the line for some reason also.

I was at a TSA somewhere, I can't remember where it was, but I remember a bunch of older ladies complaining about who they were blinded by something. They couldn't remember who it was but they said some person ran through the scanner and forgot to take off their shoes. Supposedly the person was wearing brown wingtips and a lime green thong. o_Oo_O

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
$30 per flight extra allows me to select my seat in advance. Main Cabin selection. Economy Class does not allow seat selection. Airline makes decision. More likely to get a Middle Seat. Or a seat in the last row that does not recline. You pay for what you get. I need an aisle seat and ability to recline my seat. I pay the fee to accommodate my needs. If I needed additional room like some taller people claim they need then I would pay the necessary fees to accommodate my needs without making demands from other passengers. And I let the middle row have both armrests. No problem. But it is necessary for me to recline. For my physical health. Is there no consideration for me? Or only the cheap tall guy that thinks about his needs?

As said tall guy, I choose to not recline because I don't like it when others do it, but I'm not going to tell them they can't. What I don't appreciate is them not giving a courtesy warning that they are coming back. My needs aren't above yours, but I would hope we can work together.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
As said tall guy, I choose to not recline because I don't like it when others do it, but I'm not going to tell them they can't. What I don't appreciate is them not giving a courtesy warning that they are coming back. My needs aren't above yours, but I would hope we can work together.

I PAID EXTRA FOR THIS SEAT AND IT'S MY DAMN RIGHT TO RECLINE AS MUCH AS I WANT WITHOUT ASKING YOU AND I HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION THAT DEMANDS IT!!!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Add to this take away the reading lamps and board up the windows! Oh, and load from back to front.
So accommodations like this guy enjoyed?
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f35776f363068667a635065504c773d3d2d3332373333303337342e313438316237393266643233313562353439353732303535373131332e676966

• Funny
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Add to this take away the reading lamps and board up the windows! Oh, and load from back to front.

I disagree. It makes way more sense to load front to back, aisle to window. That way, every person has to get up out of their seat to let every other person in. Also, put your bag in the back, then walk to the front like a salmon to your seat.