Iowa State Basketball is a Mid-Major Roster

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
As I keep saying, he could end up good. I do think he will develop from where he is at (hard to be worse really). This started as Twins saying Grill has a higher ceiling than Toussaint. One is a contributor on a top 25 BB team. The other is a bench warmer on a team that barely has Big12 capable players on it. Do you agree with Twins, is Grill some high ceiling player? I'm not talking a Sr who finally contributes 8 PPG, I'm talking a good player who averages 10+ PPG for his career?
I have no idea what either or their ceilings are. Toussaint has a better baseline and has shown he can play at this level quicker than Grill. We'll have to evaluate it at the end of both of their careers. Right now, Toussaint is better than Grill and there's no argument to be made. Lol

Knowing how these types of things work, they'll both average the same amount of points at the end of their careers and there will be an endless debate on who's better and the thread will be tons of pages long lol.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
No it's not typical development. I never said Grill was going to be an all-american lol. I said Grill is an 18 year old freshman who has time to develop and you're basically writing him off already and you're using two other sophomores in favor of your argument, which is also dumb.

Nick Babb is the only player under Prohm that played for 3 years. Solomon and Lewis will be the first to play their entire careers under Prohm. We'll see where Griffin ends up. I don't know if he'll get any better and the 2020 class + the transfer from Troy could eat into his minutes. Conditt is still a work in progress but has a lot of upside and he has two more years and two more off seasons to prove so.

One thing to keep in mind about Grill is that he was playing football, baseball, running track. While he did play AAU, he has played a hell of a lot less basketball than the typical incoming freshman these days. He certainly has a long way to go to be starter-level on a good power conference team, but he has a high ceiling.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
One thing to keep in mind about Grill is that he was playing football, baseball, running track. While he did play AAU, he has played a hell of a lot less basketball than the typical incoming freshman these days. He certainly has a long way to go to be starter-level on a good power conference team, but he has a high ceiling.
Grill is behind because of that reason. He never specialized and it might take him time to get to where he could be. Obviously there were other coaches who were sold on his ability and that's why he had some pretty good offers. We'll just have to wait and see.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Everyone needs to quit telling me how many offers each of them have. They both play college basketball. They both have results. Joe T is on a better team (They proved it), plays more minutes, and has better numbers. That's the end of the argument. Grill might some day end up better but right now, Joe T is a better player and looks to have a better future. Congrats on how many offers our guy grill had though.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Everyone needs to quit telling me how many offers each of them have. They both play college basketball. They both have results. Joe T is on a better team (They proved it), plays more minutes, and has better numbers. That's the end of the argument. Grill might some day end up better but right now, Joe T is a better player and looks to have a better future. Congrats on how many offers our guy grill had though.
I don't think that's why some (including me) were bringing up his offer list. It had more to do with that Prohm wasn't the only one who thought this kid had potential. Other good coaches thought so too and because of that, we should allow Grill to progress and not expect greatness out of him from day 1.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

#micdrop

Reactions: Gitwitit

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
In my opinion Toussaint plays ok for a freshman but yeah his shooting needs a lot of work and he needs to play under control. I don't care how fast you are with the ball of you cant control it thrn it doesn't matter. It's like a running back not letting his linemen get on blocks.

He was good in the Wisconsin game, I think, which was a nice flash but I think that's about the only time I've seen him do much.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Does the CIT have bracketology? Where are you guys p

giphy.gif
Grimes district. That district this year sucks.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Is Greg Marshall a good coach? he recruited and offered Toussaint. How about Anthony Grant? He coached in the NBA for several years before taking the job at Dayton. He offered Toussaint a scholarship.

Both are very solid mid major coaches