Who Should we hire After Prohm if he left after this year or next?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In case you forgot, Hoiberg turned possibly the worst team in the Big 12 into a top 3 team in 1 year, and maintained that success for an additional 4 years. He was widely regarded as one of the best offensive minds in the game by coaches/media in both college and the NBA. Several NBA teams wanted him because he was a VERY GOOD coach. There are very few proven college coaches out there better than Fred, and they are all at blue bloods/lifetime jobs.

I didn't forget any of that....although I'd argue the 'proven' thing since his style wasn't going to get much better results as it's been shown that defense is the difference between actual elite and pretend elite.

I think you're love of Fred might be a little....much.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Folks talk about sending players to Europe or the D League is some big feather for Steve’s cap. Dude has a losing record in the conference. Those feathers are fools gold. Call Thad .... Call Jeff see what the market is doing. No cyclone is going to think hoops is doomed if we upgrade coaches this off season. Folks will think we are doomed if we lose out and make zero changes.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
This is all a moot point... Prohm buyout is $8mil... lol. He ain’t going nowhere.

The new amendment states Prohm will receive $2,375,000 for the 2019-20 season, up from the $2,050,000 he earned last season. The new amendment also calls for Prohm’s compensation to be bumped up $50,000 annually, starting on July 1, 2020.

If Prohm is fired without cause, he will receive half of the total compensation remaining over the balance of the contract. That part of the agreement didn’t change.​

Buyout is the same as termination. Looks like about $6.3m after this season, $5.1m after next, based on questionable spreadsheet work. If ISU misses the tournament next year (and I’m not saying they will, just a hypothetical), I wouldn’t be surprised to see Prohm take a job at a non P6 school with ISU waiving a chunk of the buyout. Everybody wins. Or loses.

I’ve been trying to stay out of this thread, but as of today it seems like Otz vs. the field. Lol at the thought of Pollard even making a call to (or texting) Kelvin Sampson.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Most likely pick: Otzelberger

According to the rumor mill, this was Pollard's first pick but got trumped by the old President Leath (which based upon his track record, I would say isn't a great judge of people) who wanted Prohm.

Who do the fans want: Fred

I don't think we get Fred because Pollard won't stoop to get him, and I doubt we're willing to cut the check to do it. It's going to take us buying him out of Nebraska and a bit more per year to get him to leave ($6M?).

Who do I want: Nick Nurse

We can all dream, can't we?

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
I didn't forget any of that....although I'd argue the 'proven' thing since his style wasn't going to get much better results as it's been shown that defense is the difference between actual elite and pretend elite.

I think you're love of Fred might be a little....much.

Wasn't going to get much better results? They were a top 3 team in conference. He left when the core of his team still had 2 years left. Prohm was less successful with those same guys as upperclassmen than Hoiberg was with them as underclassmen. Nobody has provided any actual evidence that Hoiberg wouldn't entertain the idea of coming back, and all comments by JP and Fred indicate he departed on good terms. It would be very dumb to not attempt to bring him back if he was interested. He was one of the best college coaches in the country and by all metrics the best coach in ISU history during his run. So yes, I think very highly of Fred as should the rest of Cyclone Nation but it seems you and several others are still butt hurt he left to pursue his NBA coaching dream, which he was very upfront about.

• Agree
Reactions: BringBackJohnny

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wasn't going to get much better results? They were a top 3 team in conference. He left when the core of his team still had 2 years left. Prohm was less successful with those same guys as upperclassmen than Hoiberg was with them as underclassmen. Nobody has provided any actual evidence that Hoiberg wouldn't entertain the idea of coming back, and all comments by JP and Fred indicate he departed on good terms. It would be very dumb to not attempt to bring him back if he was interested. He was one of the best college coaches in the country and by all metrics the best coach in ISU history during his run. So yes, I think very highly of Fred as should the rest of Cyclone Nation but it seems you and several others are still butt hurt he left to pursue his NBA coaching dream, which he was very upfront about.

TL,DR but caught the end here. I'm not hurt that Fred left. It's a business.

He was a pretty good coach that interjected some life into ISU basketball for a few years.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
charlie and otz were here at the same time right? If I were otz and I got the job, that would be one person I’d reach out to to bring onto my staff with the knowledge of the game he has (assuming they parted on good terms with each other).
I don't think I've seen anything from Otzelberger to tell me he'll be a good cbb head coach. He had one of the best players in the country the last 2 years at SD State, whom he inherited from the previous regime, and used it to jump up a half level to UNLV where they are below .500 and just from watching their game last night (OT loss to Nevada) play a lot of hero ball and run next to no half court sets. Sound familiar?

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78 and peteypie

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
I don't think I've seen anything from Otzelberger to tell me he'll be a good cbb head coach. He had one of the best players in the country the last 2 years at SD State, whom he inherited from the previous regime, and used it to jump up a half level to UNLV where they are below .500 and just from watching their game last night (OT loss to Nevada) play a lot of hero ball and run next to no half court sets. Sound familiar?

Wait so Otz is Steve .... whoa .. don’t want that bro!

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It’s so sad, no matter what thread you go to idiots keep dreaming of Hoiberg. It’s so pathetic, I feel sorry for you people.
I think most realize and are aware of the fact that Fred is gone and won't come back. I don't think it stops them from verbalizing the desire, fantasy, whatever you want to call it, that he never would have left/would come back.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Most likely pick: Otzelberger

According to the rumor mill, this was Pollard's first pick but got trumped by the old President Leath (which based upon his track record, I would say isn't a great judge of people) who wanted Prohm.

Who do the fans want: Fred

I don't think we get Fred because Pollard won't stoop to get him, and I doubt we're willing to cut the check to do it. It's going to take us buying him out of Nebraska and a bit more per year to get him to leave ($6M?).

Who do I want: Nick Nurse

We can all dream, can't we?
TJ is a lot closer to Steve than he is Fred, at this point anyway.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

don’t disagree with that but to dismiss him as a possible future replacement seems short sighted due to all of the connections. He’s a good recruiter, young and could end up being a really good coach but in my opinion he needs the assistants in his court that can teach him the ins and outs of the game, different sets, plays, actions, etc... he’ll get there if he continues to be a student (this holds true for any coach). This is actually one thing I think Fred did really well is surround himself with a plethora of b-ball knowledge (lutz, doc, Charlie, etc...)

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It’s so sad, no matter what thread you go to idiots keep dreaming of Hoiberg. It’s so pathetic, I feel sorry for you people.
Well I think everyone knows Fred isn’t coming back, they just have a desire to get back to winning basketball the way it was when he was here. We are going to obviously have to hope we find that with another coach.

Reactions: CyBobby

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron