Who Should we hire After Prohm if he left after this year or next?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Not in any order...

Craig Smith (Utah State)
Charlie Henry (asst at Alabama; former ISU asst)
Wes Miller (UNC Greensboro)
Kyle Keller (Stephen F Austin)
David Padgett (former Louisville interim HC)
Scott Nagy (Wright State)
Dane Fife (Michigan State asst)

I didn’t know Charlie was back in college. Oates hired a good one. Henry will make a good head coach someday. Brilliant basketball mind.

• Agree
Reactions: jmb and Statefan10

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
So he can leave for the NBA again?

That's what he's going to do to Nebraska. I'd go over/under 4 years there and take the under.

So you'd rather go with a lesser coach with no ISU ties? And you don't think said guy wouldn't bolt for a bigger job if he was very successful at ISU? Hate to break it to you but nobody is going to be satisfied with coaching in Ames, IA their whole career unless they have some sort of connection. There's a better chance of Hoiberg realizing the NBA isn't for him and returning to ISU long term.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So you'd rather go with a lesser coach with no ISU ties? And you don't think said guy wouldn't bolt for a bigger job if he was very successful at ISU? Hate to break it to you but nobody is going to be satisfied with coaching in Ames, IA their whole career unless they have some sort of connection. There's a better chance of Hoiberg realizing the NBA isn't for him and returning to ISU long term.

Did I say a lesser coach?

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Coach Prohm seems like he wants to be here for long term and he had zero connections to ISU before coming here. He even turned down his alma mater to stay here. Iowa State is a very good basketball job. I'm almost positive Jamie wouldn't even offer the job to Fred, or if Fred would even take the job. That conversation wouldn't even happen until most likely two years from now (unless next season is horrific). What if Fred would turn down the offer? That would be so so bad for the program itself.

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
Coach Prohm seems like he wants to be here for long term and he had zero connections to ISU before coming here. He even turned down his alma mater to stay here. Iowa State is a very good basketball job. I'm almost positive Jamie wouldn't even offer the job to Fred, or if Fred would even take the job. That conversation wouldn't even happen until most likely two years from now (unless next season is horrific). What if Fred would turn down the offer? That would be so so bad for the program itself.

I should have clarified. I don't think a GOOD coach would stay here long term with no ties. Why would it be bad if Fred turned down the offer? That's like seeing your highschool sweetheart at the bar, clearly the hottest one there, and not even saying hi because you're worried about being rejected.

Reactions: isutrevman

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I didn’t know Charlie was back in college. Oates hired a good one. Henry will make a good head coach someday. Brilliant basketball mind.

charlie and otz were here at the same time right? If I were otz and I got the job, that would be one person I’d reach out to to bring onto my staff with the knowledge of the game he has (assuming they parted on good terms with each other).

• Winner
Reactions: rochclone

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
No idea...but that's not what I was getting to to begin with.

In case you forgot, Hoiberg turned possibly the worst team in the Big 12 into a top 3 team in 1 year, and maintained that success for an additional 4 years. He was widely regarded as one of the best offensive minds in the game by coaches/media in both college and the NBA. Several NBA teams wanted him because he was a VERY GOOD coach. There are very few proven college coaches out there better than Fred, and they are all at blue bloods/lifetime jobs.

• Optimistic
  • Funny
Reactions: CyBobby and aauummm

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
I am pretty sure the sanctions against Pete Bell have been lifted by now. He put together the best team money could buy. He even gave a guy a John Deere tractor, what's more Iowa State than that?

I do believe that TJ would be the right hire, he should be here now anyway. I always felt he got the short end when Fred left. I am just not sure he would come back after that, he will have plenty of options once he turns UNLV around. I also like the idea of Darian Devries, he has a ton of experience on some good teams with some HC experience now and has a great reputation. Kyle Keller at SFA is a big name in TX right now but that might just be that W in Cameron. If any of the TX schools move on from their coach, Keller will be a top candidate.

Reactions: Cyclones125

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
There are dozens of coaches who can do what Prohm has done here, especially when gifted 6....6....that's right 6 NBA players when he got to campus. Crazy people think we have too high of expectations when the previous coach was able to build a roster that included 6 NBA players. Our current team doesn't even have 6 big 12 caliber starters, honestly not even 5, that includes Tyrese. Crazy he's considered a really good recruiter and when the guy before him hated recruiting and was more or less blackballed on the trail due to his NBA aspirations, yet still put together a much more competitive roster.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wow I appreciate your optimism but wonder what you’ve been smoking or drinking already this morning.

It means that he figured it out and had success at ISU.

No way he'll be at ISU in ten years if this type of season continues, obviously.