To early to look at next years roster ??

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
After a horrific start in conference play we have.....

Bolton 38%
TH 42%
Zion 36%
Tre 42%

Once a few guys loosened up we it isn’t that we are a bad shooting team, it’s that the coaching staff kept allowing bad shooters to shoot.

Nixon 15% (3rd highest attempts)
Jacobson 20%
Grill 7%

Every time Jacobson shoots the 3, I yell at my screen...”there is a reason you are open every time”!

I’m sorry, but he should never shoot a shot outside of 6 feet unless there is absolutely no time on the clock to get it to someone else. Even if that “someone else” has their back to the basket and they are 30 feet away.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I know Prohm’s lineups are head-scratchers at best, but I struggle to see Prohm leaving our two tallest offensive weapons on the bench to begin any game.

Solo has earned the loyalty coaches show him, but I don’t think he’s the kind of Senior next year who would take not starting as a knock against him. He’s a great guy to rotate in for the stretches we need the extra effort in the paint, and get great production with a steady 20 mins a game.

All in all, I’ll be relieved to have anyone start in the 4 and play 25 mins/game with hands not made of stone.

jacobson starts every game this year for absolutely no reason at all.. and you think the one forward who has looked like a starter this year should sit next year?

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Here's my guess at the starting roster next season:

Bolton
Lewis
Johnson
Young
Foster

Unless Foster is immediately a huge game changer, it's going to be absolutely brutal next season. Is Bolton really going to be our starting point guard? It honestly looks that way.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
jacobson starts every game this year for absolutely no reason at all.. and you think the one forward who has looked like a starter this year should sit next year?

No, I don't think he should sit at all, and he won't. in fact I shared exactly the productive spot that he fits into in our lineup. Not starting ≠ sitting.

And I was about to go into thoughts on Solo's athletic ability and style being an odd man out in next year's rotation, and scheme and all that jazz. Alas, we have Prohm, who seemingly has no scheme, and doesn't have any rhyme or reason to lineups. But he's loyal to seniors. So eff it, Solo starts every game no matter what happens, just like Jake has.

Oh god, this next season might get uglier.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Bolton
Lewis
Johnson
Young
Foster

Unless Foster is immediately a huge game changer, it's going to be absolutely brutal next season. Is Bolton really going to be our starting point guard? It honestly looks that way.
Foster will be in the mix, but I honestly can't see him as a game changer right off the bat. Probably not til some point in his sophomore season. He'll be wildly erratic, like Conditt but probably (hopefully) better.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I wouldn’t say Johnson is a lock yet. Kid wasn’t that great at Troy.
That’s reasonable. Me putting him as a lock probably says more about our team than it does about Javan. I do think Javan will be a good player for us though. If Johnson isn’t a lock, I don’t think anybody is a lock to be honest. Bolton is probably the closest thing to being a lock.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
After a horrific start in conference play we have.....

Bolton 38%
TH 42%
Zion 36%
Tre 42%

Once a few guys loosened up we it isn’t that we are a bad shooting team, it’s that the coaching staff kept allowing bad shooters to shoot.

Nixon 15% (3rd highest attempts)
Jacobson 20%
Grill 7%
Lewis is firing them at a very effective 40% as well.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
he has my respect for the offense he brought last night but his defense was awful. The guy he was guarding when he was in scored more than TL did by quite a bit

It's not just the guy he is guarding either. His rotations and help are far worse than guarding his man.

The frustrating part of it is he has the build and physical ability to be a + level defender. There are times he even looks like it. There are time on the ball he defends really well. He also has good length and sometimes rotates and makes a nice play. Then other times it's like he's watching an advertisement on a scoreboard mounted on a screen in the opposite corner of the arena.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
OP seems to think it's set in stone that T Lew isn't back. So much disrespect on these boards for that young man
On the contrary, I would respect him for respecting himself by not putting up with "Prohm's Wheel of Minutes" anymore.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Lewis' play is crazy. He is an above average shooter/scorer with a quick first step driving to bucket.

On defense he looks lost, stiff and wearing cement shoes. I might be onto something as Bolton is about the same on defense.

Staff might want to check if we didn't get some defective Nike's with added weight in the soles.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

Bolton
Lewis
Johnson
Young
Foster

Although I know where you are coming from, I think this lineup would be disaster.
With Bolton as the only ball handler we would be in serious trouble. He is not that good at it, and is better at the traditional 2 spot. We desperately need a transfer or a juco point guard. IMO

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Lewis' play is crazy. He is an above average shooter/scorer with a quick first step driving to bucket.

On defense he looks lost, stiff and wearing cement shoes. I might be onto something as Bolton is about the same on defense.

Staff might want to check if we didn't get some defective Nike's with added weight in the soles.
Some of our defensive issues is coaching, some of it is not. You can teach defense all you want but you have to have guys that want to actually buckle down and do it. So many times we have guys that jog out to a shooter, skip their feet instead of using chop steps when closing out, not closing out to the high foot and allowing middle penetration, etc. Even if you play defense well for most of the shot clock it only takes one little thing and one guy to screw up and allow an easy shot.

We also leave our feet and get faked out constantly on hesitations / jab steps. It's mostly disciplinary stuff that is 100% coached by the staff but not executed correctly on the court.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86
Jan 4, 2020
I think with the length that we are bringing in and already have on the team. Also the lack of man defense that our teams have shown the best bet might be a zone for next year.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Lewis is about to pass Jacobson in scoring and I bet nobody would have predicted that before the season started.

Just some random stats about Terrence Lewis.

He has 8 DNP’s and 7 games where he played less than 10 minutes. (Baylor: 2 & 7 minutes. KU: 5 minutes, Alabama: 1 minute, Southern Miss: 5 minutes, NIU: 3 mins, Miss Valley State: 6 minutes)

In the 9 games where Lewis has played 10+ minutes, he’s averaging 10.3 points per game. (Iowa, PFW, Florida A&M, Oklahomax2, West Virginia, Auburn, Kansas State, Texas Tech.)

10.3 points per game at this level, is very very solid. He could probably be a 13/15PPG scorer if he could ever figure out how to defend because he’d get more minutes. In those 9 games where he got at least 10+ minutes, his exact numbers come out to 10.3 points in just 19.4 minutes per game.

Last edited: