What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Let's do a deep dive:

2020 Big 12 Fanbase Expectations for each school (heading into the year):
ISU: NCAA Tournament
OU: NCAA Tournament
OSU: NCAA Tournament
KU: Final Four
KSU: Bubble team
Baylor: Sweet Sixteen
TCU: Bubble Team
TTU: Elite Eight
Texas: NCAA Tournament
WVU: NCAA Tournament

Conference Recruiting Ranking (Past four years Average):
  1. KU
  2. Texas
  3. TTU
  4. WVU
  5. OU
  6. TCU
  7. ISU
  8. OSU
  9. Baylor
  10. KSU
ISU's Projected Finish before Haliburton injury:
6th/7th

Everyone in this conference has the expectation to make it to the NCAA Tournament.
Prohm is a great recruiter, but he's competing in a league with other great recruiters.

We average the 7th best class. We were projected to finish 6th or 7th before Haliburton got hurt. If I told all of you that before the season, you would likely be happy. That was about most reasonable fans expectations.

PUMP. THE. BRAKES.

So the fanbase would have been content with 7th place and 7-11 or 6-12 finish in the Big 12 before the season started. No one would/should have been content with such a scenario.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
michigan State is a blue blood.

Oklahoma has been very similar to us. Remember Krueger barely got his team in with tre Jackson. People point to last year being a disaster for us, nothing compared to that year for Oklahoma.

Kruger also has a Final 4 during the Prohm tenure. Once again those types of accomplishments tend to make people forgive a bit more during a downturn.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
About as much sense at it would have been evaluating LE using his last two rather than his first three.

LE won championships he didn’t finish 6th and 5th respectively. LE recruited Jamaal Tinsley not Darrell Bowie and Merrill Holden. LE got to a Sweet 16. In other news Floyd last year was 12-19. LE didn’t walk into a loaded roster. Rather he walked into a roster with McDonalds All-American big man and not much else.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Let's do a deep dive:

2020 Big 12 Fanbase Expectations for each school (heading into the year):
ISU: NCAA Tournament
OU: NCAA Tournament
OSU: NCAA Tournament
KU: Final Four
KSU: Bubble team
Baylor: Sweet Sixteen
TCU: Bubble Team
TTU: Elite Eight
Texas: NCAA Tournament
WVU: NCAA Tournament

Conference Recruiting Ranking (Past four years Average):
  1. KU
  2. Texas
  3. TTU
  4. WVU
  5. OU
  6. TCU
  7. ISU
  8. OSU
  9. Baylor
  10. KSU
ISU's Projected Finish before Haliburton injury:
6th/7th

Everyone in this conference has the expectation to make it to the NCAA Tournament.
Prohm is a great recruiter, but he's competing in a league with other great recruiters.

We average the 7th best class. We were projected to finish 6th or 7th before Haliburton got hurt. If I told all of you that before the season, you would likely be happy. That was about most reasonable fans expectations.

PUMP. THE. BRAKES.
Wow (7th in the last 4 years) really shows that CSP is not a good recruiter overall. And I thought that was one thing he was good at.
Interesting that Baylor has among the worst recruiting classes in the Big 12 (average 4 years), yet they still, at the very least, make it to the tourney consistently.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Wow (7th in the last 4 years) really shows that CSP is not a good recruiter overall. And I thought that was one thing he was good at.
Interesting that Baylor has among the worst recruiting classes in the Big 12 for the past few years, yet they still, at the very least, make it to the tourney.

Those numbers don’t take into consideration the high level transfer talent that Drew has brought in. Macio Teague was a UNC-Asheville transfer and Mitchell was a high level guard for Auburn. Teague is a junior and Mitchell is a current sophomore. They also have a transfer sitting out from Presbyterian named Adam Flager. He made over 100 3 pointer in his true freshmen year at 38%. The talent they are bringing in is ridiculous.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
LE won championships he didn’t finish 6th and 5th respectively. LE recruited Jamaal Tinsley not Darrell Bowie and Merrill Holden. LE got to a Sweet 16. In other news Floyd last year was 12-19. LE didn’t walk into a loaded roster. Rather he walked into a roster with McDonalds All-American big man and not much else.

Fred didn't win championships with the roster he left either.....so the point still stands. I am not in anyway trying to diminish what LE did, and I think you know that. I am just pointing out the absurd by being absurd.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What do you think his plan is for it, going off of what he's done consistently since being at ISU?

That's probably my bigger issue--it's hard to tell where those players could fit into a program that doesn't have much of an identity.

Year one and year two we had a pretty clear identity and CSP was a big part of that. Year 3 is what it is and year 4 we were putting a lot of new pieces together. Year 5 we are doing it again because we lost some serious talent early. The whole identity thing is completely over played. JFC look around the country at the number of steady programs that are struggling this year. Our fan base sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats.

Kevin Slifka

Nov 22, 2019
You do realize Fred hasn't even been in Lincoln a full calendar year? I don't think you do. It's honestly crazy how many people on here think Fred and TJ should be off and running with their teams this year.
I played against Fred in High School and everything that helped get him to play D1 basketball and in the NBA (defense, hustle, free throw shooting, rebounding - AKA fundamentals) were not things that I saw his teams excel at. We took a lot of single shots with no effort to rebound. Played lazy basketball. He could recruit kids that could play - I just don't think that he did them any favors by not insisting that they play like he did in HS and college. Just a lazy (NBA) style of basketball.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
JFC look around the country at the number of steady programs that are struggling this year. Our fan base sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats.
It's not as easy as people think to make the tournament consistently. Here is the current consecutive appearance list..

Kansas 30 years - 1990..2019
Duke 24 years - 1996..2019
Michigan State 22 years - 1998..2019
Gonzaga 21 years - 1999..2019
Cincinnati 9 years - 2011..2019
North Carolina 9 years - 2011..2019
Villanova 7 years - 2013..2019
Kentucky 6 years - 2014..2019
Virginia 6 years - 2014..2019
Purdue 5 years - 2015..2019
Iona 4 years - 2016..2019
Michigan 4 years - 2016..2019
Seton Hall 4 years - 2016..2019
Florida State 3 years - 2017..2019
Florida 3 years - 2017..2019
Kansas State 3 years - 2017..2019
Nevada 3 years - 2017..2019
New Mexico State 3 years - 2017..2019
North Carolina Central 3 years - 2017..2019
Virginia Tech 3 years - 2017..2019
Arizona State 2 years - 2018..2019
Auburn 2 years - 2018..2019
Buffalo 2 years - 2018..2019
Georgia State 2 years - 2018..2019
Houston 2 years - 2018..2019
Montana 2 years - 2018..2019
Murray State 2 years - 2018..2019
Ohio State 2 years - 2018..2019
Oklahoma 2 years - 2018..2019
Syracuse 2 years - 2018..2019
Tennessee 2 years - 2018..2019
Texas Tech 2 years - 2018..2019

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I love that "lower your expectations" is an actual argument people are making to defend Prohm. Heck who knows though, maybe it is our fault, the guy has underachieved every year here and we still set the bar high, even though he's shown us who he is. Sadly, I'm betting that changes this year.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
The same people defending Prohm
I love that "lower your expectations" is an actual argument people are making to defend Prohm. Heck who knows though, maybe it is our fault, the guy has underachieved every year here and we still set the bar high, even though he's shown us who he is. Sadly, I'm betting that changes this year.

Bunch of ******* losers to accept mediocrity. Hell this year is well below mediocre.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I played against Fred in High School and everything that helped get him to play D1 basketball and in the NBA (defense, hustle, free throw shooting, rebounding - AKA fundamentals) were not things that I saw his teams excel at. We took a lot of single shots with no effort to rebound. Played lazy basketball. He could recruit kids that could play - I just don't think that he did them any favors by not insisting that they play like he did in HS and college. Just a lazy (NBA) style of basketball.
giphy.gif

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Should be able to get Hoiberg back after the Huskers fail to win the national title this year. Crap.. wrong sport.

I think we retain Prohm based on the talent he can bring in. If he can bring in more guys like the ones that left us then we keep him. Then if those guys all bolt after next season we hire someone that is willing to get hockeye type players... pretty good, but not too good. And if they are too good, have their strengths be something that is no longer utilized in the NBA, like posting, playing defense, and rebounding,

Reactions: Kevin Slifka

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
If this is a Prohm job security thread now, I want to propose an idea for him...

It is time to get new assistants. Switch it up before you get the boot. Go and get a really good post position coach. You know guards but you need to develop better bigs.
I know I've suggested this before, coupled with the fact that it seems that assistants do much or more of actual day-to-day training of players than specifically Steve does. My impression has always been that head coaches are the planners and managers, but assistants are more frequently working hands-on with the players in practice and such.

Our current assistants seem to be good recruiters as well, though, so there is some risk on that end.

Help Support Us

Become a patron