What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
1. Because he started in June his first year. Anyone that isn’t out to just hate him should realize that.

2. This year is bad. There’s a reason but it is his fault. He does own the 10-13 record to this point. The reason is that no one expected THT to be one and done. But it is his fault. If you have watched this team this year, and you are honest, you would have expected us to win at least 4 more to finish the year. We won’t now, but there were winnable games on the back half of the schedule.

I don't see how they would be expected to win 4 more games this year. Winnable games but I don't think they were expected wins. With Haliburton they would have only been favored in 2 more games.

• Winner
Reactions: rochclone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
When last year was the peak of prohm with his own players, finishing 5th is a failure. You can try to excuse this year by saying "but he lost all that talent" but 5th place last year either means that that talent was overrated or (more likely) it was a bad coaching job.

His ceilings aren't very high and his floors are very very low.

So he gets no credit for a second place finish?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I would say his HS recruiting has been boom or bust and his transfer recruiting has been sub par. Also he has one HS recruit that is in the NBA.
I addressed that already -- the transfer market is very different now than it was a decade ago. That flash in the pan is long-dead now. His HS recruiting doesn't seem much different to me than Hoiberg's was, as it was mostly awful past the 2013ish area. Like I said, Hoiberg basically had 2 incredible classes carry the school for 5 years past that. Prohm will have another HS recruit in Hali in the NBA shortly, and some think Foster will trend that way as well in time (we'll see about that, of course).

This is why I don't think recruiting is the star complaint to be making. You can't do better than recruiting future pros, especially at a non-blue-blood school. Most of the time, you're not going to have a team full of them at any time (Hoiberg managed to do this) and you won't expect them to keep coming year in and year out (which stopped for him before he left).

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just a note: we are 1-7 against the top 25. That is very bad. I’m not saying it is at all good. But no big 12 team has played more than 6. Baylor and Kansas have played 5. We ***** and ***** about playing tougher schedules but this year we could have really used an easier one. This team has not had one tiny bit of luck this year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We've had 3 seasons with Prohm's players. 2 have been horrible. The decent one was massively disappointing and nowhere near the squad's potential. Year 4 is shaping up to be Year 3 Redux.

This is not acceptable at Iowa State. Or maybe it is, based on the way a lot of our fans are reacting. But it shouldn't be acceptable at Iowa State.

Prohm should have been fired 5 minutes after the Florida A&M game.
If you aren't going to give CSP credit for what he did in year one and two, then you can't sh!t on him for year three because those years all go hand in hand.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Because before each of those years, a mass amount of talent left all at one time and we weren't capable of replacing it all in one class. We aren't Duke, we can't just reload on classes full of top-50 freshmen every year.

Look at Hoiberg's success. It wasn't built on kids leaving early, it was built on a mass talent base that stuck around 4-5 straight years, supplanted by high-risk transfers that are no longer the free commodity that they were for him. Hoiberg basically had two highly-acheiving classes provides years of success and stability.

I'm not trying to make any Fred comparisons bc we know how that goes here but you're way off on Fred's early success. Look at what his first 3 tourney teams returned for starters:

11-12 Scotty Thugs, Ejim (2nd round)
12-13 Babb, Ejim, Tyrus (bench player but starter mins) (2nd round)
13-14 Ejim, Niang (Sweet 16)

Each of these teams came in to the season with at minimum 3 new starters, Tyrus was the only returning bench player on any of those teams that was a factor. That means each of those teams replaced 4/5 players in their rotation, they still exceeded expectations, made the tourney and won at least one game. Each team also lost it's best player from the year before (Garrett, White, Clyburn)

Prohm had success with Fred's 4 year players but Ejim was the only one of the type of players you describe.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyfanisu

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Fred's players. Haven't you heard.......LE is no longer the coach of record on the elite eight run. That was Tim Floyd.

exactly ;)

I think it is perfectly reasonable that prohm is on the hot seat after this year. But I don’t think it is reasonable that he gets no credit for his first two years and that last year was a failure.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm not trying to make any Fred comparisons bc we know how that goes here but you're way off on Fred's early success. Look at what his first 3 tourney teams returned for starters:

Each of these teams came in to the season with at minimum 3 new starters, Tyrus was the only returning bench player on any of those teams that was a factor. That means each of those teams replaced 4/5 players in their rotation, they still exceeded expectations, made the tourney and won at least one game.

Prohm had success with Fred's 4 year players but Ejim was the only one of the type of players you describe.

just to note, Fred’s teams earned a 10 seed, an 8 seed, a 3 seed, and a 3 seed.

Prohms earned a 4, 5, and 6, I think.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfanisu

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If you aren't going to give CSP credit for what he did in year one and two, then you can't sh!t on him for year three because those years all go hand in hand.

Sure you can. He had a couple years to try to shore things up but failed. This 'fred left the cupboard bare for year 3 ' excuse is a tired one. Should we have expected to win the league that year? Of course not. But he should have been able to put together enough to not finish dead ******* last.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
If he bothered to recruit talented kids that can shoot, he might be able to achieve that again. Unfortunately, that doesn’t look like it will happen again.
Well, why don't we all just wait and see how it plays out. What's it going to hurt? We win 23 games next year you going to be mad?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Well, why don't we all just wait and see how it plays out. What's it going to hurt? We win 23 games next year you going to be mad?

Of course they’ll be mad. They don’t give a **** about tyrese being out, they are just upset they now there will be an excuse for the next month.

• Dislike
Reactions: JBone84

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
No, you haven’t explained how we might make that massive of an improvement. What do you see happening to get there?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Sure you can. He had a couple years to try to shore things up but failed. This 'fred left the cupboard bare for year 3 ' excuse is a tired one. Should we have expected to win the league that year? Of course not. But he should have been able to put together enough to not finish dead ******* last.

With a roster full of juniors and seniors what did he have to sell? He didn't have a couple of freakin years either, he had one full recruiting cycle to load back up. We literally lost an entire class. You can't have it both ways.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Each of these teams came in to the season with at minimum 3 new starters, Tyrus was the only returning bench player on any of those teams that was a factor. That means each of those teams replaced 4/5 players in their rotation, they still exceeded expectations, made the tourney and won at least one game. Each team also lost it's best player from the year before (Garrett, White, Clyburn)

Notice how the many guys you listed were... transfers. As were White and Clyburn. Back in the day when every school in the country didn't pursue transfers. Things are different now, people. Hoiberg had a much easier time of sourcing talent from other sources, until he struck gold on some HS recruits with Niang, Morris, Long, Thomas, ...

Now, it still remains that Hoiberg was good at making these teams gel and getting production out of them, which certainly has been a recent problem with Prohm. That's something worth ******** about. I just don't see how the recruiting itself is. Where would we be right now if one-and-done didn't exist (which hopefully occurs in the near future...)?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I had zero issue with his year 3. We all knew there would be a drop off due to Fred's lack of recruiting. He had a pass on that one.

But last year was a bit disappointing and this year is a complete and total train wreck.

It's obvious a large percentage of our fanbase is ok with being ******* horrible. I'll acknowledge I'm in the minority here.