*** Official IOWA STATE Vs #13 West Virginia Game(Day) Thread ***

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
cropped_hogue-kick.gif

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Thanks Rulzzz! Glad that someone is upholding the fine traditions here at CF. I will admit that I am less than confident about this game, but knowing that KSU gave them trouble does give me hope.

Sounds like Jackson will be getting extended playing time again (hopefully at Nixon's expense), just hope he's up to the task of facing that suffocating defense.

In my dreams I see Tyrese and Rasir beating the press for layup after layup. :)
I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but I don't think West Virginia is using their press like they used to. I just don't think it necessarily fits the team they have.... It's hard to replace an 8 year starter like Jevon Carter.

RealtreeByGod

Feb 25, 2014
I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but I don't think West Virginia is using their press like they used to. I just don't think it necessarily fits the team they have.... It's hard to replace an 8 year starter like Jevon Carter.
This is not a Press Virginia team. Huggs will still throw it out occasionally, and has been doing it more recently, but it's normally just token annoy-the-inbound pressure that falls back into the half court once the ball is thrown in. You're not going to see an opposing ball handler get trapped by 3 guys at half-court any more.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
This is not a Press Virginia team. Huggs will still throw it out occasionally, and has been doing it more recently, but it's normally just token annoy-the-inbound pressure that falls back into the half court once the ball is thrown in. You're not going to see an opposing ball handler get trapped by 3 guys at half-court any more.
Yeah, that is kinda what I thought. I had only tuned into a couple of games and didn't really see their pressure. Those teams a couple years back were made up perfectly to run a mean press. Jevon Carter was a monster.

Although, Iowa State has had solid guard play most years and I thought they handled the press pretty well. I'm definitely not upset that we won't see the constant pressure.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I hate admitting this, but I know less about other Big XII teams this year than any previous years. I don't put a random game on like I usually do.

I know they don't press as aggressively as in years past, but that's about it. I assume it's still a typical Huggins team otherwise. Looking at stats, WVU is actually worse than us in 3-point fg% (I didn't know that was possible), worse than us in blocks and only holds a slim margin in steals.

I see they lead the league in rebounding and don't allow many points per game, so should I just assume it's gonna be one of those games where we give up second-chance points all game long?

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I hate admitting this, but I know less about other Big XII teams this year than any previous years. I don't put a random game on like I usually do.

I know they don't press as aggressively as in years past, but that's about it. I assume it's still a typical Huggins team otherwise. Looking at stats, WVU is actually worse than us in 3-point fg% (I didn't know that was possible), worse than us in blocks and only holds a slim margin in steals.

I see they lead the league in rebounding and don't allow many points per game, so should I just assume it's gonna be one of those games where we give up second-chance points all game long?
Unfortunately.... You could probably assume that almost every game. Especially this game though

ess108

Dec 13, 2010
Fairmont, WV
Is that ISU fan living in Morgantown going to the game? One of the best and informative posters on this site.

I don't think I'm that same Cyclone fan you're talking about that will be at the game but I live in Morgantown and will be at the game. My wife is a WVU graduate so I'm pretty familiar with WVU football and basketball.

Previous posters have been right in acknowledging that WVU doesn't press full court anymore. They'll play tight man-to-man in the half court. In seeing previous ISU games my thought is the only way ISU wins is if: they shoot out of their minds, somehow don't get killed on the boards (Tshiebwe and Culver are beasts inside), and the refs call the game really tight. WVU isn't the greatest shooting team so ISU should have an advantage at the foul line.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We both live on in the DC area, but, unfortunately, this team hasn’t given me any motivation to drive the 6 hour round trip to see them play.

Not a true fan. :p

I am going! Reporting from Pittsburgh!

I wrangled a work trip this week around it, and I am going to take some work friends of mine to the game tonight. It should still be a fun time.

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
This is the first time in a decade where I have no hope that we can win this one.

Even in 2017-2018, we upset a few teams.

No hope tonight. This sucks.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think I'm that same Cyclone fan you're talking about that will be at the game but I live in Morgantown and will be at the game. My wife is a WVU graduate so I'm pretty familiar with WVU football and basketball.

Previous posters have been right in acknowledging that WVU doesn't press full court anymore. They'll play tight man-to-man in the half court. In seeing previous ISU games my thought is the only way ISU wins is if: they shoot out of their minds, somehow don't get killed on the boards (Tshiebwe and Culver are beasts inside), and the refs call the game really tight. WVU isn't the greatest shooting team so ISU should have an advantage at the foul line.
There really is no way Iowa State wins tonight, honestly. Even at Hilton this year, where I normally would say we have a legitimate chance to beat a team like WVU even in a down year, I don't think we have much of a shot.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron