WBB: Cyclones vs Mountain Mamas at 1:00 p.m. ESPNU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Don Meredith is clearing his throat and getting ready to sing at the 5 minute mark.

Edit: 3 minute mark

Last edited:

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
We need to be tougher. Other teams seem to out tough us (beat on us) and officials don't care OR think that is the way it should be played.

Bill gets talented shooters that are not mean and nasty. They're nice. That is no longer allowed in the Big 12.
This. All the good shooters in the world can't rescue you in a league that has moved on from Iowa State. You either adapt to the style of play that 9 of 10 teams use or you will waste all the talent and simply foster a generation of fans that thinks that the refs have it in for us. They don't...they are calling the game as it is played now...not 20 years ago.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wow, Mama's playing epicly bad the last 2 minutes. Almost begging us to steal this with a miracle comeback. Jeez, a few made free throws and we would be tied or ahead. :eek:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
19-28 from the line - not good (again). They sure are streaky this year with the freebies. Long stretches of making nearly all of them, then short bouts of brick-brick-brick. 10-27 from long distance is the only reason ISU had any shot at the end. Nez had a good game with 13 & 8, but fouled out. The wear-n-tear may be getting to Joens: just 11 & 3, while going 4-8 from the line.

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
As a season ticket holder I've seen our gals play their guts out, but you don't see our style of play in the power five play anymore.

Not a coach just grousing.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
This. All the good shooters in the world can't rescue you in a league that has moved on from Iowa State. You either adapt to the style of play that 9 of 10 teams use or you will waste all the talent and simply foster a generation of fans that thinks that the refs have it in for us. They don't...they are calling the game as it is played now...not 20 years ago.

Yep, and I don't like the style. But I understand thrat is where we are going. Very good point. That's why I said we need to get meaner gals. The nice ones are nice. But, that is not what we need.

Maybe we can change it quickly with just a couple enforcers. A little like hockey. Get a couple big gals that like to throw elbows and break a nose or two, give up 5 or 6 points a game in hard fouls and just knock the best player from the other team out of the game. Works for me! That's Big 12 ball now.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
This is SO SO true. It's all about speed, height, athleticism and hard fought tough playing anymore. From what I've been reading on here the last few years it seems that many ISU fans feel just as you expressed it, that the refs just have it in for you. Well the refs are very poor quality I'll grant you that. But they're bad on both ends of the court. You either adapt or get left behind.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is SO SO true. It's all about speed, height, athleticism and hard fought tough playing anymore. From what I've been reading on here the last few years it seems that many ISU fans feel just as you expressed it, that the refs just have it in for you. Well the refs are very poor quality I'll grant you that. But they're bad on both ends of the court. You either adapt or get left behind.

Agree. And, too many times, the posts here digress into whining about the play being too rough or the refs sucking etc etc. It's to the point that any team that plays aggressive defense is labeled as thuggery ball. I am not buying that. The game is more physical, yes, but it looks even worse when we play soft and relatively passive defense predicated on "do not foul". Just because WVU played an aggressive man-to-man that extended out to where we want to shoot uncontested threes doesn't mean it is thug ball. It maybe doesn't help that we have people playing positions that might not be their strengths, like a forward playing post (IMHO) and guards playing forwards etc. That won't change even with a great class coming in because they are all 5-foot something guards.

Bottom line is it is what it is. Regardless of who we recruit the style ain't changing for at least the next 10 years or so.

And for a final irony, our best player (and coach's favorite too) is our most physical and aggressive player. :rolleyes: We like players aggressive on offense, don't like it on defense. :oops:

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
We played a pretty bad game and West Virginia played well, Joens played like 20 minutes or so, never a factor, we missed 11 free throws......we lost by 8. Considering all the above it should have been a 20 plus point loss.

Our girls in general do need to play tougher, be tougher but today was not our day. They never gave up.....Go Cyclones

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Listening to the game since my usual espnu stream is as flaky as a well cooked piece of mahi mahi today. Nice to have Brent Blum back at PxP.

Now that is a well turned visual phrase. Nice writing.

Reactions: C.John

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Didn't see or hear a play work was in full force. Seen the final score and wasn't disappointed. I'm not sure what's up with our free throws. Did WVU have those goals shipped up from Waco;).

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

100% WRONG. If the game is different today then change the rules. If the rules are the same then the officials aren’t calling it right.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Our team shies away from contact too much. They didn't used to.
Former players like Anne O'Neill, Angie Welle, Heather Ezell, Lyndsey Fennelly, Lindsey Wilson, Chelsea Poppens, Amanda Zimmerman, Brittany Wilkins, etc. didn't shy away from contact. In fact, they relished it.
Maybe some former players can come in to talk with the team?

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Very proud of the way the team did not give up and were fighting till the end. One comment, I see so many saying we have to play tougher, two really did and one fouled out and the other spent 15 minutes on the bench due to fouls. Play tough but smart as it does no good to foul and then spend minutes on the bench due to the fouls.

PS: watched the live game but have not re-watched it but what surprised me was when I did the stats the shot difference. we took 51 they took 66, it did not seem watching they took 15 more shots as they shot 50% and we shot 41%. had we hit our free throws we win the game

Last edited: