WBB: Cyclones vs Mountain Mamas at 1:00 p.m. ESPNU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From Cyclones.com:

MORGANTOWN, West Virginia - The Iowa State women's basketball team (12-7, 4-4, Big 12) continues its two-game road swing as it squares off with West Virginia (13-5, 3-4 Big 12) on Sunday, Feb. 2 at 1 p.m. on ESPNU. The Cyclones are 5-10 all-time against WVU and 2-5 on the road against the Mountaineers.

Where: WVU Coliseum - Morgantown, West Virginia
When: Sunday, Feb. 2 at 1 p.m.
Projected Starting Lineup: Rae Johnson, Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw, Ashley Joens, Adriana Camber, Kristin Scott
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Brent Blum, Jamie Steyer
TV: ESPNU
Talent: Tyler Denning, Renee Montgomery

Not sure the notice of Rae Johnson starting is correct. I thought she was out a minimum of these two road games. Will find out at gametime I guess but thinking Thurmon likely starts.

Might be a tough go today with our short bench.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
WV is a hard team to predict right now. I thought they would challenge and probably beat TX out for 2nd place seeings how they defeated #10 MSST on the road, and Syracuse, and #19 MSU. Then they started out Big 12 with 3 wins in a row including one over TX. Then suddenly it was like "Mutiny on the Bounty" set in. This is a must win for them if they expect to get back in the race and get an NCAA bid. I feel they have a superior team when compared to ISU but at the rate they're going lately most anybody could beat them. I don't think the severe beat down they took in Waco helped their spirits at all.

As far as the Cyclones are concerned I feel this is pretty much a must win for them too as a loss will drop them quite a lot in the standings as well. And there are several tough contests ahead for them. I'll be watching and rooting for the Clones.

At this time it's beginning to look like the Horned Frogs may be the second best team in the league. But so much can happen in the next 9 games.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
WV starts out hot as fire, cools off a bit, Clones make a comeback, and now WV clicking again. It appears that Tynice Martin may be back in her groove today. If so, not good news for the Cyclones. She can be a game changer. 4 point lead for the Mountain babies.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Listening to the game since my usual espnu stream is as flaky as a well cooked piece of mahi mahi today. Nice to have Brent Blum back at PxP.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not exactly what I was expecting. Was thinking more of a 13-15 points a quarter defensive battle.

My Minnesota gals are 4-4 from three.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Are these WV announcers? It's like they are cheering for the Mountaineers. And if so, why doesn't ESPN ever have unbiased announcers for the women's games? And why don't Blum and CW do ESPN calls for us?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And a frustration foul on Joens, if you can call an offensive foul a frustration foul and I going to. And Joens is likely out for the rest of the half.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Need a couple of ladies to step up the rest of this half.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Meanwhile the Gamecocks are thumping the Vols. And the lowly Sooners down 22 to even lowlier KU have made an amazing comeback and are within 2.

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
Not a good first half, they played sloppy and WV shot very well, with way too many open looks. BUT down nine with your best player having not scored isn't the end of the world.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Meanwhile the Gamecocks are thumping the Vols. And the lowly Sooners down 22 to even lowlier KU have made an amazing comeback and are within 2.

Well, once you get below Baylor there are no really good team. Lot's of average teams. A number of really good players but it isn't equating to good teams.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Not a good first half, they played sloppy and WV shot very well, with way too many open looks. BUT down nine with your best player having not scored isn't the end of the world.
True. Joens has to have a decent 2nd half IMO.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Wow! Shoulder down, push through defender, knock them down, shoot open shot. apparently all legal. Joens needs to do that on the other end. I'm sure that won't be a foul today.

EDIT: Saw very good replay of play. That was a charge, no question. Bad no call. Wow!

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
We need to be tougher. Other teams seem to out tough us (beat on us) and officials don't care OR think that is the way it should be played.

Bill gets talented shooters that are not mean and nasty. They're nice. That is no longer allowed in the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: geewago

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Gotten out of hand. 17 point lead, will be hard to overcome in 10 minutes. What's happened to Joens free throw shooting?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron