Is this the start of the zombie apocalypse?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Can we change the title of this thread to something like "Coronavirus Thread"?

A few years ago, when those tiny few Ebola cases in the U.S. happened (and the patients were sent to, of all places, Omaha), I had a brief discussion about it with a co-worker. All the news about Ebola was scaring him, and I was not even the tiniest bit concerned. I told him the reason was, the symptoms of Ebola are so scary that it makes the transmission of it in a developed country very difficult. Basically, you know exactly who is contagious because they are bleeding out of every pore.

This Coronavirus has me concerned. It is just the opposite of Ebola : a person can be contagious before showing symptoms. There could be dozens of people in the U.S. already, transmitting it to others, and we wouldn't know it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/26/us/coronavirus-orange-county/index.html

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Video confirmed by a reputable source? Or just some rando on Twitter/Reddit/YouTube? Sounds kinda sketchy.

China is building a "hospital" in Wuhan and they claimed it would only take 6 days to do so. Wuhan is a city larger than any in the United States. They were totally unprepared for a situation like this and from things I've read, sure seems like it's going to get much worse before it gets better. Cases are basically doubling every two days.

The other issue is that almost half the population of Wuhan left the city prior to the lockdown. It's Chinese lunar New year and people travel for it. If people weren't showing symptoms when they left and it can take up to two weeks to show symptoms... This is likely to be much more severe than an ebola outbreak.

• Agree
Reactions: DarkStar

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I met a doctor last night who seemed pretty concerned about the Coronavirus, thought it would get a lot worse before it gets better. He'd also had a few, so take that FWIW.

That said, I'm scheduled to leave for international travel (France, Iceland) this Friday. I don't usually worry too much about stuff like this, but I sure don't want to be a host to bring this thing back home...

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
just watched some videos of people flat out collapsing and dying in the streets. Starting to think this is worse than they are saying. :eek:

The key is that none of them got back up though. Not to make light of the situation, but as long as the dead stay dead, we still have a chance.

• Funny
Reactions: GT25Ump

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

A few years ago, when those tiny few Ebola cases in the U.S. happened (and the patients were sent to, of all places, Omaha), I had a brief discussion about it with a co-worker. All the news about Ebola was scaring him, and I was not even the tiniest bit concerned. I told him the reason was, the symptoms of Ebola are so scary that it makes the transmission of it in a developed country very difficult. Basically, you know exactly who is contagious because they are bleeding out of every pore.

This Coronavirus has me concerned. It is just the opposite of Ebola : a person can be contagious before showing symptoms. There could be dozens of people in the U.S. already, transmitting it to others, and we wouldn't know it.

I'll go on record saying this is yet another media hype story. They seem to have a business model that pumping up each and every story (politics, sniffles, economy, transgender women of color) to ridiculous heights is OK so long as SOMEDAY they are right about something.

Stock up on Campbells soup and lotion kleenex then ride it out.

Having typed that, I'll probably get bird flu, or monkey flu, or rat feces flu, or plague from melting permafrost-frost.

• Disagree
  • Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16 and CyArob

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
I'll go on record saying this is yet another media hype story. They seem to have a business model that pumping up each and every story (politics, sniffles, economy, transgender women of color) to ridiculous heights is OK so long as SOMEDAY they are right about something.

Stock up on Campbells soup and lotion kleenex then ride it out.

Having typed that, I'll probably get bird flu, or monkey flu, or rat feces flu, or plague from melting permafrost-frost.

I really hope you're right here. But I'm nervous you will be wrong! Everything China is risking with their economy with the various lockdowns doesn't seem to make sense with the current numbers that have been reported.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
China is building a "hospital" in Wuhan and they claimed it would only take 6 days to do so. Wuhan is a city larger than any in the United States. They were totally unprepared for a situation like this and from things I've read, sure seems like it's going to get much worse before it gets better. Cases are basically doubling every two days.

The other issue is that almost half the population of Wuhan left the city prior to the lockdown. It's Chinese lunar New year and people travel for it. If people weren't showing symptoms when they left and it can take up to two weeks to show symptoms... This is likely to be much more severe than an ebola outbreak.
I'm not doubting the severity of the issue, but people dropping dead in the street seems a little over the top.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
5 confirmed cases in the US now. Seattle, Chicago, Arizona, and two in California

3, 4, and 5 just reported today, right?

Maybe I’m buying into media hype, but the potential downside of this (just like the recent Iran stuff) is fascinating to me.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha

If you want an explanation of why Omaha. Here it is. UNMC has the largest biomedical isolation unit in the nation. It's a reaction to post 9/11 bioterrorism threat.

Ebola treatment: why America's largest biocontainment unit is in Nebraska

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...braska?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
  • Funny
Reactions: DarkStar
Status
Not open for further replies.