****Official Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread****

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
mid-march to mid-may 2020 will be the two most important months of prohm's career.

he's going to have to find 1-2 contributors for next year.

This is true.

To be fair, this is rarely not the situation in college basketball in the spring for most programs. Roster construction works differently nowadays.

But if next year is not another redemption season then, yeah, I think the natives might be coming with their pitchforks and torches for some revenge.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
This is true.

To be fair, this is rarely not the situation in college basketball in the spring for most programs. Roster construction works differently nowadays.

But if next year is not another redemption season then, yeah, I think the natives might be coming with their pitchforks and torches for some revenge.
Is there any update on Blackwell's situation?

From what I understand, it sounds like he moved home to be closer to his sick mother to play his senior year and there's a chance he could decommit because of it? I believe I also read he wanted to stay committed, but it's basically an on going situation?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is there any update on Blackwell's situation?

From what I understand, it sounds like he moved home to be closer to his sick mother to play his senior year and there's a chance he could decommit because of it? I believe I also read he wanted to stay committed, but it's basically an on going situation?

Your understanding is more or less correct from what I know. He is still committed, but his situation is (understandably) challenging, and the staff is hoping for the best but preparing Plan Bs. I had not seen any update on here from the typical insiders.

• Winner
Reactions: tyrelrobert and ZZZ

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
mid-march to mid-may 2020 will be the two most important months of prohm's career.

he's going to have to find 1-2 contributors for next year.

Like Javian Johnson, Dudley Blackwell and Xavier Foster...
I am sure the staff will look at the grad transfers available preferably a shooter but I am not sure what is coming in won't correct a lot of the flaws this years team has. While it is difficult for many to trust freshmen contributing we only need to look to last year with THT and Haliburton to see it has worked.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Like Javian Johnson, Dudley Blackwell and Xavier Foster...
I am sure the staff will look at the grad transfers available preferably a shooter but I am not sure what is coming in won't correct a lot of the flaws this years team has. While it is difficult for many to trust freshmen contributing we only need to look to last year with THT and Haliburton to see it has worked.

Javan shot 35% from 3 at Troy. I'll put him at 30% in the big12, call it the nixon discount.

Blackwell might be another zion or lewis, who knows. and rumors aren't the best he makes it to campus.

Foster: will struggle with defense, rebounding, and well, playing against D1 talent with size and strength. You really think Prohm is going to figure out Conditt,Solo and Foster after this year???

We need a big time grad transfer PG and SG imho.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Javan shot 35% from 3 at Troy. I'll put him at 30% in the big12, call it the nixon discount.

Blackwell might be another zion or lewis, who knows. and rumors aren't the best he makes it to campus.

Foster: will struggle with defense, rebounding, and well, playing against D1 talent with size and strength. You really think Prohm is going to figure out Conditt,Solo and Foster after this year???

Japan also shot 43% from 3 at Troy.

Reactions: isutrevman

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

We have had more sit out transfers improve their 3pt shooting in the off year as guys who have had their shooting numbers fall.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I understand we have had decent success with grad transfers since Hoiberg, but IMO the coaching staff should be hitting the JUCO's hard. A good share of high-level JUCO's hold off on committing until spring semester. Our fallback should be Grad Transfers. Prohm's success with Grad Transfers has been very mixed with: Brase, Beverly, Bowie and Holdon. Not a solid starter among the group.

I would rather have a JUCO at ISU 2 years vs. a grad transfer 1 year. IMO grad transfers are great for a team with a solid returning core, where the coach is looking to fill a specific position. Plus if Prohm puts all his eggs in getting a grad transfer, what happens if he strikes out? It's too late at that point to start recruiting JUCO's.

IMO our priority in spring recruiting should be scoring PG (Donovan Jackson type) and athletic 4 (Hogue, Gilstrap type). I know people lament our lack of shooters, but Prohm has already invested a lot of scholarships next year to perimeter shooters - Jackson, Grill, Bolton, Lewis, Johnson, Dubar and Blackwell.

We need another 1/2 option on offense. Bolton is one of those guys, but we need another consistent 15ppg scorer on our roster. I would then hope that Jackson, Johnson and Condit/Young can give ISU a solid top 6. Get some help from other guys and I think we can be an NCAA roster in 20/21.

• Agree
Reactions: cyups2323

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I understand we have had decent success with grad transfers since Hoiberg, but IMO the coaching staff should be hitting the JUCO's hard. A good share of high-level JUCO's hold off on committing until spring semester. Our fallback should be Grad Transfers. Prohm's success with Grad Transfers has been very mixed with: Brase, Beverly, Bowie and Holdon. Not a solid starter among the group.

I would rather have a JUCO at ISU 2 years vs. a grad transfer 1 year. IMO grad transfers are great for a team with a solid returning core, where the coach is looking to fill a specific position. Plus if Prohm puts all his eggs in getting a grad transfer, what happens if he strikes out? It's too late at that point to start recruiting JUCO's.

IMO our priority in spring recruiting should be scoring PG (Donovan Jackson type) and athletic 4 (Hogue, Gilstrap type). I know people lament our lack of shooters, but Prohm has already invested a lot of scholarships next year to perimeter shooters - Jackson, Grill, Bolton, Lewis, Johnson, Dubar and Blackwell.

We need another 1/2 option on offense. Bolton is one of those guys, but we need another consistent 15ppg scorer on our roster. I would then hope that Jackson, Johnson and Condit/Young can give ISU a solid top 6. Get some help from other guys and I think we can be an NCAA roster in 20/21.

It doesn't matter where they come from or how many years they have to play. Go get the best available regardless and it will work out for the best.

Reactions: Crookedhatkid

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Javan will be good. He works hard

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

“Enough with those negative waves“

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
If all 4 frosh make it...we need 1-2 to be big 12 caliber contributors...odds are at the least 1-2 will..especially since 3/4 are fairly well rated with decent offers..

Javon will be a nice wing to have..longer..atheltic 6’7 ish wing who is capable of hitting 3’s..

We will have half a new roster next year so I’m not throwing in towel next year by any means..

Bolton
Conditt
Young

They will al be solid and good players...

however you need 2-3 very good players to compete.

Bolton has a chance next year to be 1 IMO..

I think Prohm adds at least (1) more player likely a juco or transfer..and that player needs to be a high impact player..

I disagree on XF struggling...He’s a effective rim protector..rebounder and will be very difficult to defend for perimeter..He can shoot.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If all 4 frosh make it...we need 1-2 to be big 12 caliber contributors...odds are at the least 1-2 will..especially since 3/4 are fairly well rated with decent offers..

Javon will be a nice wing to have..longer..atheltic 6’7 ish wing who is capable of hitting 3’s..

We will have half a new roster next year so I’m not throwing in towel next year by any means..

Bolton
Conditt
Young

They will al be solid and good players...

however you need 2-3 very good players to compete.

Bolton has a chance next year to be 1 IMO..

I think Prohm adds at least (1) more player likely a juco or transfer..and that player needs to be a high impact player..

I disagree on XF struggling...He’s a effective rim protector..rebounder and will be very difficult to defend for perimeter..He can shoot.

I think Jackson will either start at the 2 or get solid minutes as a combo guard.

Grill going to have competition for time at the 3.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Most players are better by the 2nd year in the program. That is why I believe we have done better with sit one transfers than outright grad transfers. Most of our jucos were much better their senior year than they were their junior year. Grad transfers often come with high expectations because we are trying to plug a hole. They are better when they don’t have to step in right away and be ‘the man’, but rather a key supporting cast member. For example, If I remember correctly, Hogue was a great rebounder his junior year, but didn’t really become a consistent three point threat until his senior year.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LLCoolCY

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

Javan will be a reliable shooter for us.

Yes, Blackwell has the same talent level that lewis and zion have. All are four stars. From what we've seen, Lewis is really starting to click and Zion is getting there.

Foster, he'll be a problem for defenses. He can line up at 4 and still be effective. He can shoot the 3.

Asking for a big time grad transfer in 2020 is like asking the staff "Hey! Go get a five star!" Everyone wants them. Everyone.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Juco players aren't an automatic to contribute right away over transfers or freshman often only the top 5-8 are expected to be starters. It is often easier for grad-transfers to come in and contribute because when evaluated their competion is P6 or high-mid major programs oppossed to the crap-shoot of JuCo game competition. For every McGee there is a Bluford,

Get the best players from wherever HS, JuCo, or Transfer and help the team be better next year.

No reason to just grab a older player though if the staff isn't confident they will start over the current payers.I believe the staff is very high on their top 15 class and there may not be major upgrades available.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
There are players in the 2020 class i'm excited about but counting on more than 1-2 of them to be contributors is too ambitious, IMO

Here's every Prohm recruit since the 2016 class with their ranking and my interpretation of their impact at ISU

upload_2020-1-27_8-0-34.png