Monté Morris vs Tyrese Haliburton

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Two of the best point guards in school history I would say, but what would happen if they traded spots? For the sake of comparison I'm just looking at each individual's sophomore season.

Current Tyrese Averages:
GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
16 36.4 49.2 38.8 76.7 5.9 7.4 0.6 2.5 1.2 2.7 15.7
AST/TO: 2.74
Team Record: 8-9

2014-2015 Monté Morris Averages:
GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
34 33.9 50.7 39.5 75.3 3.4 5.2 0.4 1.9 1.3 1.1 11.9
AST/TO: 4.73
Team Record: 25-9, Big 12 Tourney Champs, lost early in the NCAA Tournament

So how do you think things would play out if they traded spots and how would those two teams be affected by having different point guards? I think the most interesting thing would be to see Tyrese on a team where he can win games by just passing the ball. Lots of scorers on that team, he would rack up the assists.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Tyrese on the floor with Naz Long and Matt Thomas alone would be incredible for drive and kick purposes. Then factor in dump-offs to Niang and lobs to McKay... My god.

Morris would have been thrust into more of a scoring role similar to Tyrese this year and his efficiency likely would have taken a hit because of it across the board.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Tyrese on the floor with Naz Long and Matt Thomas alone would be incredible for drive and kick purposes. Then factor in dump-offs to Niang and lobs to McKay... My god.

Morris would have been thrust into more of a scoring role similar to Tyrese this year and his efficiency likely would have taken a hit because of it across the board.

Throw in BDJ too and I think Tyrese is easily averaging over 10 assists per game which is unreal. But also that 2014-15 was one of the most talented Iowa State basketball teams of all time.

It would be interesting to see what Monté would be with this team, obviously he would struggle more than we're used to seeing. Guessing the team would probably have a similar record although I think Monté has a little more ability to create his own shot so that could help.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
As of now I'd take Monte. Fewer turnovers and better at creating his own shot (and actually taking that shot). Nothing against Tyrese though. He's great as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As of now I'd take Monte. Fewer turnovers and better at creating his own shot (and actually taking that shot). Nothing against Tyrese though. He's great as well.
Was this really true his sophomore year, though? And if it was, how much of it was enabled - or conversely how much of Tyrese's ability is hampered - by the level of outside shooting around the player in question. Defenses have figured out that they need to stop what is happening in the lane and can be safe taking their chances with the ISU outside shot.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Tyrese would be pretty amazing with that lineup, and a defensive upgrade due to his length and active hands. I struggle saying that he would do better than Monte because Monte's passing was a thing of beauty. He hit guys with the ball right where it needed to be to get a shot off in rhythm. That team was fluid offensively because Morris ran the show.

I could see Monte being more a vocal leader for this year's team, but his assist/turnover ratio would be more pedestrian with the shooters we have. He would be the focal point of opposing defenses just like Haliburton is now.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I LOVE tyrese. I’m hoping that he’s stupid and decides to come back. ;)

but tyrese had lots of good players last year and has disappeared several times this year.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Monte would be the Alpha dog this years team needs. If the rest of the team is struggling like what happens a lot this year he could take over. I love TH as a player but he is not an Alpha.
That's what is interesting to me, it almost feels like TH would be a better fit on the 14-15 team and Monté would be a better fit on this years team.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Was this really true his sophomore year, though? And if it was, how much of it was enabled - or conversely how much of Tyrese's ability is hampered - by the level of outside shooting around the player in question. Defenses have figured out that they need to stop what is happening in the lane and can be safe taking their chances with the ISU outside shot.

Pull up jumpers, floaters, passing accuracy and lack of turnovers is what I think of when I think of Monte. All better than what I've seen from Halliburton. Doesn't mean Tyrese won't end up being a better player. I would just take Monte as of now. Monte also seemed like one of those guys you would want on your side in a bar fight. An Alpha.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Monte really developed over those four years and had great guys to learn with. Comparing senior year Monte who played with niang and other great leaders to Hali is absolutely unfair.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron