Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Might have something to do with Mich jacking up 34 3's. A pathetic number.

Maybe but both shot about the same percent from the field, Iowa was 27/53 for 50.9%, and 9/16 from 3, while UM was 34/68 50% and 11/34 from 3. The team that is behind, in this case UM started to jack up threes to make up the difference.

It was a good win for Iowa, and they are a good team, but will they continue to shot well from distance and not crash and burn in the post season?
Next year if everyone returns, Iowa could be loaded for a deep run, but it all comes down to Garza, if he continues to play at this rate, I hope he will skip too the NBA. Then it will all collapse without the force in the paint.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It is kind of mind boggling that Iowa is getting w's when literally 2-3 guys are the only ones doing any scoring. You look at their box scores and very seldom does anyone not named Garza, weiskamp, frederick put up a lot for numbers. Iowa is maxing out on the backs of 2-3 guys just balling out. Kriener somehow wound up in double figures scoring last night too, but that seems like more of an anomaly than a trend. No doubt Garza and weiskamp are studs, but when are opposing teams going to realize that you should need to stop one or both of them and make the other guys try and beat you? I've never seen anything like this.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Who gives a s**t how many Iowa fans were at the game last night? Traveling anywhere last night was dangerous. And they won another big game. Meanwhile, ISU still sucks and will for the foreseeable future. Deal in reality folks. Yes, it hurts, but it's true. Time to get it corrected.

But if cytwins can’t obsess about Iowa, what is his reason for living?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Great game, up and down the court, 2nd half was back and forth, CHA was electric and Iowa turned in another impressive, gritty performance. This team is tough as nails, getting all of this done with so much talent sitting on the bench w injuries.

I saw Garza is a mid-season 1st team All-American, too. Beast.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Maybe but both shot about the same percent from the field, Iowa was 27/53 for 50.9%, and 9/16 from 3, while UM was 34/68 50% and 11/34 from 3.

It was a good win for Iowa, and they are a good team, but will they continue to shot well from distance and not crash and burn in the post season?
Next year if everyone returns, Iowa could be loaded for a deep run, but it all comes down to Garza, if he continues to play at this rate, I hope he will skip too the NBA. Then it will all collapse without the force in the paint.
I don't see Garza leaving early. Im not sure his game translates, not to say he won't play in the league someday, but he's a role player at best in the NBA. Talent is similar to Georges except he's got an extra 3 inches and 30 pounds to bang around with.

All this means is Garza will be back next year and they'll have a core of Garza, weiskamp, bohannon, frederick. Basically same as this year's team but add another knockdown shooter to the mix so they'll be dangerous

• Agree
Reactions: HawkJRP and Go2Guy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Maybe but both shot about the same percent from the field, Iowa was 27/53 for 50.9%, and 9/16 from 3, while UM was 34/68 50% and 11/34 from 3.

Those are good questions - every team (and coach) is judged by the tourney.
Ex. - Nova under Wright had been really, really good for a while, but not until they went and won those 2 titles in 3 years were they (and Wright) elevated in status.
Iowa still has a lot to prove, no doubt. And Garza does shuffle his feet a lot and gets away with it. Maybe not in March.

• Funny
Reactions: HawkJRP

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Speaking of attendance; I couldn't believe all the empty seats at Baylor Wed night. They have a Top 5 team - their highest ranking ever; they just won at KU the previous game and they couldn't fill it up against us. That's not a crack on us, but on BAY fans - that turnout was pathetic.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Great game, up and down the court, 2nd half was back and forth, CHA was electric and Iowa turned in another impressive, gritty performance. This team is tough as nails, getting all of this done with so much talent sitting on the bench w injuries.

I saw Garza is a mid-season 1st team All-American, too. Beast.

Best coaching job of Fran’s career thus far. Last year was his second best.

• Funny
Reactions: Rural

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Speaking of attendance; I couldn't believe all the empty seats at Baylor Wed night. They have a Top 5 team - their highest ranking ever; they just won at KU the previous game and they couldn't fill it up against us. That's not a crack on us, but on BAY fans - that turnout was pathetic.

Baylor fans are arguably worse than Iowa's

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I thought it was a very entertaining up and down game. Credit Iowa for a nice win. I didn't think the officials were home cooking. Michigan settled for jumpers way too much and Iowa was driving or getting the ball down to Garza on almost every possession. I will say that Garza switches his pivot feet all the time and it never gets called, But he is quick and crafty about it.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Best coaching job of Fran’s career thus far. Last year was his second best.
Seems having so few options to throw out there has actually helped him. When you only have 7-8 players to cycle through instead of 10-11 you're not taking minutes away from your better players and giving them to end of bench guys. I mean, Pemsl is still getting minutes somehow, but probably more out of necessity at this point

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Can't say I'm thrilled they won, but them covering the -5 helped me win $71 on a $10 3 team parlay last night (saint Louis +7.5 vs Dayton and Wisconsin/ Michigan state under 131.5 were the other 2). Glad I won the bet, felt a little dirty cheering for Iowa to help me bring home the bacon tho

Reactions: Legend Hawk

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Can't say I'm thrilled they won, but them covering the -5 helped me win $71 on a $10 3 team parlay last night (saint Louis +7.5 vs Dayton and Wisconsin/ Michigan state under 131.5 were the other 2). Glad I won the bet, felt a little dirty cheering for Iowa to help me bring home the bacon tho

Iowa at home is an auto bet down the stretch IMO

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Hawkize31

Jul 6, 2010
Looks like Garza shot 13 FT's. Michigan as a team shot a total of 5.

Wieskamp also shot more FT's than the entire Michigan team.

So did Frederick.

Wow. Juwan should be pissed.

FT discrepancy was misleading. Iowa got called for 13 fouls, Michigan got called for 21 (before they intentionally fouled a couple times late to extend the game). A 21-13 foul discrepancy in favor of the home team is not that egregious.

It was weird that so many fouls were shooting fouls for Iowa and there weren't many for Michigan. Michigan trying twice as many 3's as Iowa was probably a factor in that.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
FT discrepancy was misleading. Iowa got called for 13 fouls, Michigan got called for 21 (before they intentionally fouled a couple times late to extend the game). A 21-13 foul discrepancy in favor of the home team is not that egregious.

It was weird that so many fouls were shooting fouls for Iowa and there weren't many for Michigan. Michigan trying twice as many 3's as Iowa was probably a factor in that.

Michigan had 22 fouls not 21

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Come at me but Garza is a top five player in college basketball in half court offense.

If he could move a little better in transition and on defense NBA teams would be lining up to throw insane money at him. If his outside shot continues to improve it might not matter as much that he's a defensive matchup liability.

He was solid last year but I would not have predicted this jump in output. It's really shocking when you look at Fran's history of big guys not developing or him benching the best big guy for worse players.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Come at me but Garza is a top five player in college basketball in half court offense.

If he could move a little better in transition and on defense NBA teams would be lining up to throw insane money at him. If his outside shot continues to improve it might not matter as much that he's a defensive matchup liability.

He was solid last year but I would not have predicted this jump in output. It's really shocking when you look at Fran's history of big guys not developing or him benching the best big guy for worse players.

He's been incredible, especially before crunch time

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I listened to the entire game on sirius radio on a long friday night traffic commute.

Midway through the second half Dolph said this was easily the best this Michigan team has played all season.

The #18 ranked team's best game of the season was a loss to a team just outside the top 25. Gotta love that level of unbridled completely irrational homerism, it's what makes college sports so much more passionate than pro fans.

• Funny
Reactions: Rural and iahawks

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron