Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

Tommy Cicero

Dec 13, 2019
Let’s face it. On paper we all thought Fran couldn’t recruit anyone other than string beans who lack athleticism and explosiveness. Turns out he has put together a solid basketball team that plays with great effort.

Obviously Garza is a great story, but Wieskamp
and CJ Fredrick have been balling. We have to give credit where it is due. The Hawks have an unselfish team and they play with great effort. That’s always a great place to start when you’re looking for a team who could make a run in March.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Loving what CJ Fredrick brings to the team. Shooting and toughness, scores at the rim and plays with an edge. 21 points on 9 shots, that is just freaking amazing. CJ is 100x better than I thought he was gonna be. JoeW had 20 points on 11 shots, that is pretty dang salty as well. Garza did what Garza does.

It was funny watching Michigan play the Big10 hack a defense game that just is so boring to watch. Kudos to the refs for actually calling fouls, fouls. It was evident Michigan decided they were just going to throw player after player at Garza and use up all their fouls on him. I think they fouled Garza 12 times, and they could have called another 10 on Michigan as they were just banging the crap out of him down low.

Last edited:

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Let’s face it. On paper we all thought Fran couldn’t recruit anyone other than string beans who lack athleticism and explosiveness. Turns out he has put together a solid basketball team that plays with great effort.

Obviously Garza is a great story, but Wieskamp
and CJ Fredrick have been balling. We have to give credit where it is due. The Hawks have an unselfish team and they play with great effort. That’s always a great place to start when you’re looking for a team who could make a run in March.

Solid team, that is fun to watch. They play hard nose basketball and that hasn't always been the case under Fran. I think you gotta give Fran his due though, offensively Iowa has always been better than the sum of it's parts. He is really good on that side of the ball. Now the defense is something to be desired, but he can flat out get his teams to score the ball.

Tommy Cicero

Dec 13, 2019
Loving what CJ Fredrick brings to the team. Shooting and toughness, scores at the rime and plays with an edge. 21 points on 9 shots, that is just freaking amazing. CJ is 100x better than I thought he was gonna be. JoeW had 20 points on 11 shots, that is pretty dang salty as well. Garza did what Garza does.

It was funny watching Michigan play the Big10 hack a defense game that just is so boring to watch. Kudos to the refs for actually calling fouls, fouls. It was evident Michigan decided they were just going to throw player after player at Garza and use up all their fouls on him. I think they fouled Garza 12 times, and they could have called another 10 on Michigan as they were just banging the crap out of him down low.

Fredrick/Wieskamp/Garza are the difference between this Hawkeye team and some decent Hawkeye teams in the past. They play big when they need to. Like Niang/Ejim/Morris did for ISU. Fran has had a few decent teams that simply lacked players who could step up when they needed them most. Uthoff, Gesell, and Marble all come to mine. Guys who had solid college careers, but could never get their team over the hump. This group plays with an edge Fran hasn’t had since he’s been there in my opinion.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Fredrick/Wieskamp/Garza are the difference between this Hawkeye team and some decent Hawkeye teams in the past. They play big when they need to. Like Niang/Ejim/Morris did for ISU. Fran has had a few decent teams that simply lacked players who could step up when they needed them most. Uthoff, Gesell, and Marble all come to mine. Guys who had solid college careers, but could never get their team over the hump. This group plays with an edge Fran hasn’t had since he’s been there in my opinion.

Completely agree. They play with a toughness that the other teams lacked. I think it starts with Garza, Jordan and Connor and has rubbed off onto the rest of the team.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Maybe the most entertaining game I’ve watched all year.

That is what I felt as well. Then I started thinking if we lose this game, it is gonna suck so bad losing in such a good game. We won, so now I can really enjoy it for the fun game that it was.

Tommy Cicero

Dec 13, 2019
That is what I felt as well. Then I started thinking if we lose this game, it is gonna suck so bad losing in such a good game. We won, so now I can really enjoy it for the fun game that it was.

It was a game we’re used to seeing Iowa lose. Iowa looked great for awhile and then Michigan made a big second half run that stole the momentum. I’m used to seeing Iowa fold at that point.

They answered. Garza’s energy is contagious. He’s so important to that team and that program. His development has made Fran a lot of money.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It was a game we’re used to seeing Iowa lose. Iowa looked great for awhile and then Michigan made a big second half run that stole the momentum. I’m used to seeing Iowa fold at that point.

They answered. Garza’s energy is contagious. He’s so important to that team and that program. His development has made Fran a lot of money.

Sounds like you watch as many hawkeye games as Twins.

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
giphy.gif

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Nice win for the hawks over Michigan, missing their best player.

Gotta say, if one of Frederick, Garza or weiskamp have an off night against anyone decent, this team will struggle down the stretch. You'd hate to put too much pressure on a guy like Kriener for offense. Fortunately they were firing on all cylinders tonight.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Gotta say, if one of Frederick, Garza or weiskamp have an off night against anyone decent, this team will struggle down the stretch. You'd hate to put too much pressure on a guy like Kriener for offense. Fortunately they were firing on all cylinders tonight.
I think one of those guys can have an off night if they stay aggressive. Iowa gets to the line a TON. Feel like they were shooting FTs all night.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

I will say when you include defense Simpson is Michigan’s best player. They were just missing their best offensive player.