Friday OT #1 - Losing My Religion

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @Farnsworth for another great thread idea! (PLEASE never hesitate to send them to me, or feel free to guest!)

What is something that you lost in the past but still think about?

I'm not going to steal Farnsy's examples, because they would definitely not be relevant to me. Mine is much simpler - my husband gave me a beautiful gold necklace with a pearl on it, and I wore it on a work trip. I apparently left it in the bathroom at the hotel and they said they never found it - because the necklace did not make the return trip. It still makes me sad, even though he was kind and got me a replacement.

How about you?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
So these are a little off topic because I didn’t lose them, but when I was little (maybe 3-4) I had a little toy helicopter. I must have seen a show on pbs kids about mail because I really wanted to mail it to my cousin. So we did. It never arrived. The postal service lost my toy helicopter. I still think about it to this day.

Also one time my friends came over to watch to nhl playoffs. Before they got there, we had the tv remote. When they left, we didn’t (and it’s a tv remote so it’s not like they stole it). It’s been over 5 years and we still haven’t found it.

Reactions: Angie

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I guess you could say that I literally lost my religion... around the age of 24 or so I became atheist after being raised Methodist. I’m happy about it thought, and it’s actually something I’m proud of... to be able to think for myself and free myself from my parent’s brainwashing. Anyways, I still think about it mainly because religion is everywhere you turn in this society.

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
My $250 Maui Jim sunglasses. I was in the house. They were in my hand. I said to myself, “Put these away now so you don’t lose them”. 10 minutes later I realized that I’d put them somewhere and had no idea where.

the frustrating part is that I must have set them down in an obvious spot but they have never turned up. I have looked everywhere for them. It’s driving me insane.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
So these are a little off topic because I didn’t lose them, but when I was little (maybe 3-4) I had a little toy helicopter. I must have seen a show on pbs kids about mail because I really wanted to mail it to my cousin. So we did. It never arrived. The postal service lost my toy helicopter. I still think about it to this day.

Also one time my friends came over to watch to nhl playoffs. Before they got there, we had the tv remote. When they left, we didn’t (and it’s a tv remote so it’s not like they stole it). It’s been over 5 years and we still haven’t found it.
Did you check the fridge?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Had this oil plug seal (looks like an odd large aluminum washer) on a keychain. Positive that the wife tossed it because I have found what I’m positive is the keychain but nothing on it.

My dad gave it to me and said to make sure we don’t forget to put it on. He passed away later that night and it was the last thing he handed me and talked to me about. So I went and bought a new one when I finished the job a couple days later and always kept that.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Have a crazy story about something being lost then found.

A few years after we got married my wife's wedding ring went missing. We looked everywhere. Completely tore our house apart. When we moved out of the house we lived in at the time we still didn't find it. Gave up on it and bought her a new ring.

Fast forward more than 5 years after we lost it, my son, being the klutz he is, ran into a tower fan we had set up in our room, knocked it over, and out popped her ring. Apparently it had fallen off the dresser she left it on and landed inside the fan. Somehow, through multiple moves it had stayed in there the entire time. The fan barely worked and we'd given thought to throwing it away several times.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I lost my left winter glove last year. I'm pretty sure it fell out my pocket while I was driving and then I knocked it out of my car while I got out. They were nice gloves that actually kept my cold-ass fingers warm, too.

I was left with two options. I could bedazzle my other glove and go the Michael Jackson route or buy new gloves.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I have a wedding ring story, too. A couple summers ago I confessed to the vixen that I had lost my wedding band. She was upset, of course, and asked how that happened. I told her that I take it off when I play golf (huge mistake, telling her that) and I must have lost it when I emptied my pockets of tees, divot tool, etc after the round was over.

Well, for several weeks I scoured the ground around the 18th green (which is where I always empty my pockets) to see if I could find it. You ever try to find a small object in that kind of thick grass? o_O

Anyway, eventually I went to Gordon Jewelers - with the vixen, of course - and got a new band. I didn't like it as well as the old one, but.......whatever.

I keep a 5-gallon clear plastic water jug, the kind used in a water cooler, in my closet. I always throw my change in it at the end of the day, and then in November I take it to the bank and that cash helps me finance my deer hunting trip.

So in November, the vixen takes it to the bank for me, and when the teller dumped it in the coin tray to collate it, lo and behold my wedding ring falls out.

You can only guess the hilarity that ensued when I got home and she gave me my ring back. :rolleyes:

And of course, I leave my ring on my dresser when I leave for the golf course. ;)

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
The question was what is something you lost.

200w.webp

• Funny
Reactions: LindenCy and weR138

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My high school class ring. :(:( My wedding ring came off in the hot tub at a West Des Moines hotel. I called back about it and they found 3 pieces of it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I lose so many things at work that I've started just ordering many duplicates of all the tools I use. I actually think it's more efficient than spending the time to find things. For three designers we now have five or six of the same tool, art supply or gadget for most things, three to actually use and another two or three that can be temporarily lost in the chaos. Things get found eventually at the same rate other things get lost, we never have to look for anything anymore and it's not a constant "where is the ____" or "who took the _____".

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
As a kid, I lost a Christmas present. It was a six wheel vehicle of some sort - I can't describe it well, but I remember exactly what it looked like. I can even remember the box it came in. The top and rear opened and there was another small car that was inside of it. It sort of looked like a lunar rover. I thought the tires were cool. They were big rubber tires that you could peel off and put back on. It wasn't a small truck, probably a couple feet long and a foot tall.

I loved that toy, and it just disappeared. We lived on a farm and I don't recall ever taking it outside. I have no suspicion that someone ran off with it. It would have been tough for another kid to steal because of its' size, and I don't remember anyone being at the house who would have taken it anyway.

I've wondered for 35 years where that thing went.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron