Best Sportscaster in Iowa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Congrats to Dolphin this year.

Who decides these things? Isn’t it a peers voting thing? Doesn’t matter, was just wondering, was thinking it was this way.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm pretty sure that a "Thank you for your years of service" award since you will be leaving soon. Yes I'm biased but Dolph is a terrible announcer.

If hawks are behind he will go 10 minutes without mentioning score.

I once herd him say "The Hawks will start this drive in the Red Zone" after they returned a kickoff to the 16 yard line. Their OWN 16 yard line. Eddie had to inform him it is only the Red Zone at your opponents 20.

During a Northwestern MBB game Bobby Hanson had to correct him the the opponent was playing zone and not man-to-man. This was 25 seconds into the shot clock.

And so on...

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I think that is one thing 99% of everyone can agree on, he got a raw deal. They were fishing for something. It was definitely not aimed in an inappropriate way.
My beef with the whole thing is I think you have to consider intent. I think it's reasonable to assume his intent wasn't to disparage the kid racially....he meant it as a compliment. In hindsight the reference was inappropriate but a simple apology should have been sufficient.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm pretty sure that a "Thank you for your years of service" award since you will be leaving soon. Yes I'm biased but Dolph is a terrible announcer.

If hawks are behind he will go 10 minutes without mentioning score.

I once herd him say "The Hawks will start this drive in the Red Zone" after they returned a kickoff to the 16 yard line. Their OWN 16 yard line. Eddie had to inform him it is only the Red Zone at your opponents 20.

During a Northwestern MBB game Bobby Hanson had to correct him the the opponent was playing zone and not man-to-man. This was 25 seconds into the shot clock.

And so on...

The best is still his lack of knowledge with coin flips. This happened several years ago. Iowa would always take the ball whereas 90% or more teams defer and then Iowa would take the ball. I heard dolph talk about how amazingly great Iowa was at winning the coin toss. Quoted they were winning like 92% of it or so. After a couple games, think Eddie caught a moment of so sobriety, and mentioned the deferring that most teams do. You could hear the gears turning in Gary’s head to this new knowledge. He then stopped using his ninety some percent and would look to see if they deferred

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
He's a little haughty for my tastes, but I can see why Iowa fans like him a lot.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
There is a sensationalist aspect to his reporting style that can only come from years of having to try to make Iowa football sound interesting to listeners.

• Funny
Reactions: stateofmind

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
All other things aside, he is absolutely terrible at calling games. Terrible. So bad that I listen for a laugh.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53