Dave Andrews - New Football Strength Coach

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Big time hire

To quell my own curiosity, what makes it big time? Not saying it is or is not, I guess I just didn't know that people were that dialed in to the S/C coach community, and it's not like Pitt has been any good at football for some time.

Gotta say if nothing else the dude looks the part...

• Agree
Reactions: s_ford

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Pretty sure I'm low T but I've never taken the time to diagnose officially. Any recommendations for natural supplements?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It’s a position that none of us can accurately evaluate but we don’t let that stop us!

Personally I look forward to the obligatory story in a year of when he got there no one could bench 400, but now everyone can.
My favorites are the comments from local media types that have pretty much said every S&C coach here has been doing a great job because guys are getting bigger and stronger. As if guys in their peak athletic years lifting in state of the art facilities with professional trainers are going to NOT get bigger and stronger.

With that said, I thought athletically this is the closest ISU has looked to the top competition. Some of that is recruiting, too. The only complaints I'd have from an S&C perspective is that as others have said OL got pushed around a bit, and I think our WRs have lacked explosion getting out of breaks and getting separation. Obviously much of that is genetic, and some is route running technique, but improvement there would go a long way for the offense.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Pretty sure I'm low T but I've never taken the time to diagnose officially. Any recommendations for natural supplements?

Do you have high levels of belly fat? I'm not a doctor, but honestly if that's true that's the first place to start. It's not a pill or quick fix, but can have dramatic impact on testosterone levels. Adequate sleep and lowering stress and thereby cortisol levels are my next recommendations. Everything after that including supplementation is just sort of gravy. Get belly fat down, sleep, de-stress, and the problem generally goes away. Excessive cardio is also a problem for a few guys, but you don't see that and high belly fat.

T levels are significantly lower in men today compared to a generation ago. We are fatter, sleep less, and arguably have high stress. A lot of people like to blame estrogen mimicking agents in our environment, and that's likely true to some degree, but I personally believe weight, sleep, and stress are our biggest contributing factors. With that said, I don't feed my son milk that isn't organic with no added hormones and honestly he only gets about 4 oz. of milk a day if he want's it.

Last edited:

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
It's nice to see changes get made after a disappointing* loss to end a disappointing* season.

This could be a huge mistake or a stroke of genius I have no idea... but it's still nice to get the sense that the status quo isn't good enough. Hopefully special teams gets a real hard look under the hood this off-season.

* I've been a Cyclones fan long enough to be happy with just getting to a bowl, any bowl. But relatively speaking the season and bowl were disappointments.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan93

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Do you have high levels of belly fat? I'm not a doctor, but honestly if that's true that's the first place to start. It's not a pill or quick fix, but can have dramatic impact on testosterone levels. Adequate sleep and lowering stress and thereby cortisol levels are my next recommendations. Everything after that including supplementation is just sort of gravy. Get belly fat down, sleep, de-stress, and the problem generally goes away. Excessive cardio is also a problem for a few guys, but you don't see that and high belly fat.

T levels are significantly lower in men today compared to a generation ago. We are fatter, sleep less, and arguably have high stress. A lot of people like to blame estrogen mimicking agents in our environment, and that's likely true to some degree, but I personally believe weight, sleep, and stress are our biggest contributing factors. With that said, I don't feed my son milk that isn't organic with no added hormones and honestly he only gets about 4 oz. of milk a day if he want's it.
I have some maybe, 15 lbs I could drop, I started noticing changes in my life at about 27 which should have been the highest T levels of my life. I am doing cardio to lean out, but my problems go beyond physical strength gains. I've recently started to remedy things that you have addressed to try and eliminate variables. Should probably just get the blood work done.

• Agree
Reactions: nocsious3

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I will irrationally only judge this individual based on our ability to run a QB sneak on 4th and 1. If we can get that, he's doing his job well.

I know you are joking, but honestly, if the OL didn't completely suck at getting any push at all then the OC would not be calling stupid looking plays to work around it.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and CYCLNST8

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

Most men are low t. Average testosterone levels in men is decreasing 1.7% each year. You're most likely half as fertile as your grandfather. It's a serious issue that once again modern medicine is ignoring.

As far as raising your T levels there is very few studies that show any supplements raising your testosterone. Vitamin D3 is essential to healthy T levels. Try to get this naturally, but can be supplemented especially with our Iowa winters. Anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000 IU per day. Boron helps increase free testosterone levels but in some cases also boosts estrogen levels to compensate. Adaptogens like Rhodiola and Ashwagandha have shown increases in t levels but have given me horrible side effects.

Lifestyle changes have the most improvement to T levels but even those are marginal. Getting your t levels tested and not letting your Dr dupe you into believing you are within the "normal range" is key. TRT is the answer IF you are done have kids and are ready to be on this the rest of your life. Once you go on TRT your body cannot naturally produce testosterone anymore.

As for natural lifestyle changes the below will help:

1.) Avoid xenoestrogens. Many things release xenoestrogens which kill T levels. Plastics are the big ones. Stop drinking from plastic bottles and especially stop heating food up in plastic containers. Use glassware.

2.) Lift weights and do high intensity interval training. Both can boost T levels while also burning fat which is a double whammy, because the body produces extra estrogen when fat levels are high.

3.) Get sleep. Super important. 7-9 hours a night is important. And make sure it's of high quality. 67 F on the thermostat, white noise and dark out shades.

4.) Lower stress levels. Stress kills testosterone levels.

5.) More sex. Sex increases t levels.

If you google "The Art of Manliness testosterone increase" the guy gives a good description of his "T raising journey". If you have any questions feel free to PM

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Wonder if anyone is going to start using some of this restricted blood flow results. Looks like it really works but would worry me.

https://fitness.mercola.com/sites/f...3/kaatsu-blood-flow-restriction-training.aspx

Because the exercise is done with such low weights, there's far less muscle fiber trauma and damage; especially relative to conventional strength training. This means you are able to recover much quicker, so you don't have to dig yourself out of a hole the next few days. In most cases, you can exercise different body parts nearly every day and rapidly attain the metabolic and physical benefits.

I thought that just worked for masturbation...

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron