Iowa State Basketball is a Mid-Major Roster

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Fran said in June that that if Patrick didn’t add weight they were going to consider redshirting him. Seems like it shouldn’t be a surprise to not have him available.

Sure, makes perfect sense, that might have been the plan. Fran also couldn't have known then that he would be down 3 starters at the beginning of Jan. If Patrick were healthy, he would have the redshirt taken off and he would be playing.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Fran said in June that that if Patrick didn’t add weight they were going to consider redshirting him. Seems like it shouldn’t be a surprise to not have him available.

I was told recently the plan all along was they were going to test it out to see if he could compete and if not seek a medical redshirt due to his weight

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I was told recently the plan all along was they were going to test it out to see if he could compete and if not seek a medical redshirt due to his weight
Nothing unreasonable about that. Hawks came into the season with 2 questionable and have had 2 unforeseen injuries. Hard for anybody to overcome.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Not really. Fran just took Evelyn instead of landing a good player

I think Iowa showed even without Jordan they could still win. Losing two other starters and a 4* Fr though is just too much to overcome.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
My point is, considering Fran was very aware there was a very good chance he wasn’t going to have Patrick and Bohannon all offseason. So you leave yourself vulnerable to being very hurt by 1 or 2 injuries. I guess I just see it as him overcoming a problem he created.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Not really. Fran just took Evelyn instead of landing a good player
Can't really put it all on 1 player though. At least Fran recognizes it and Evelyn's minutes were down the other night. Prohm keeping Nixon and Jacobson on the floor as much as he has is the real head scratcher. That is looking really dumb.

Reactions: SimpsonClone

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Can't really put it all on 1 player though. At least Fran recognizes it and Evelyn's minutes were down the other night. Prohm keeping Nixon and Jacobson on the floor as much as he has is the real head scratcher. That is looking really dumb.

Connor plays 29 mpg

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
The real issue nobody saw coming this year is Prohm's Hot Seat is way hotter vs Fran's.
This season is pretty close to dumpster fire status for Prohm. If Haliburton is gone what does next season look like?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This season is pretty close to dumpster fire status for Prohm. If Haliburton is gone what does next season look like?

It's tough to see how we are even sniffing the tourney until 22-23 at the earliest, that's assuming every single player develops and all recruits live up to their billing.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That number would not be nearly as high with a healthy Bohannon. You have a healthy roster and can't even compete with your starting 5 at this point.

We have 3 good players and everyone else isn't good. Not sure what you want me to say

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
The real issue nobody saw coming this year is Prohm's Hot Seat is way hotter vs Fran's.
Not to be that guy.... But I saw it coming. I was pretty out on Prohm last year when we had a great roster (4 nba guys) and finished 6th. He relied on Shayok and THT to play hero ball to win games. Heck, he couldn't even coach his team on how to inbound the ball properly.

I gave him a pass for 17-18 because there was no talent there. But last year? gross.

For this year, most transfers usually take time to figure out their role if they ever do. Bolton is starting to figure out his role, but it looks like the fanfare over the waiver was a little unwarranted. And We should almost ask the NCAA if we can tag team Nixon and someone for offense... woof.

Great players mask the flaws of mediocre coaches. Prohm looked like a genius when he had 7 NBA guys on the roster. Villanova and Virginia maybe have that many and they are winning titles...

• Agree
Reactions: Legend Hawk

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
A really bad roster built by Prohm, no other way to look at it.

It is a terribly constructed roster. Leaving the ISU fans looking at missing the tourney for the second time in 3 years. Which is unacceptable for a coach at a good basketball program like ISU. Probably could get away with that at other places.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch and CyTwins

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
It is a terribly constructed roster.

Insisting on playing Jacobson at the 4 by Prohm reminds of Fran trying to fit White at the 3 a few years back. It just doesnt work.

Leaving the ISU fans looking at missing the tourney for the second time in 3 years. Which is unacceptable for a coach at a good basketball program like ISU. Probably could get away with that at other places.

Technically he is going to get away with it unless you think he gets fired at the end of the year.