Can we get a QB sneak installed in this offense?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
David Archer and the naked bootleg. Worked more often than not.

Yeah, you don't want to get your QB killed, but it's the last game of the season. Risks need to be evaluated. It's not like Purdy can't slide after he makes the marker.

Reactions: cyclones500

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
It's possible Brock has never played under center, in that situation, with back to back timeouts called, that seemed like a pretty meh play call. I'd have rather thrown than do exactly what they were expecting and hope we out tough them.
Ya, at least fake a handoff and dump it to a TE. The last 4th down play was a head scratcher too.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
QB sneak with less than 1 yard to go works close to 99% of the time. When is the last time you saw a game where it didn't work?

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Simple, you have the lineman cut down their splits, you have the QB under center, with 2 backs behind him. You then go on a quick count, and have the two backs shove him forward.

Last night I watched Iowa do it repeatedly and gain 5 and 6 yards on sneaks. Its a play you have to practice, and use it.
All of the shoving in the world won't accomplish anything when the DL totally owns the low man wins position. The guard who gave up the penetration that swarmed Hall on the short yardage play was so high that no play - handoff or QB sneak - had a chance to gain positive yardage.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
All of the shoving in the world won't accomplish anything when the DL totally owns the low man wins position. The guard who gave up the penetration that swarmed Hall on the short yardage play was so high that no play - handoff or QB sneak - had a chance to gain positive yardage.

Yep. Regardless of experience for angles or engagement with the dline, every lineman should have it established to at minimum be low.

These things have to engrained, not just talked about.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
On a lighter note, when the Clones got stuffed I picked something up indiscriminately in a fit of rage and hurled it. For the life of me I can't find anything out of place around the house though....I have no idea what I grabbed and launched into the other room. o_O

That was your rage. You turned it into a physical object and threw it into the other room, the ether.

• Funny
Reactions: bthebutcher

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

We needed a foot, Hall is getting the ball 8 to 10 yards from the LOS, which is easier to make?
The splits are foot to foot, and you are going on a quick count, the back are pushing you from behind, and the QB has the decision which side to go on. Plus there was no one over the center on the play. If they slide down over the center, then you go to the B gap. If they jam down so far that A and B gap is covered, then you do a quick pitch to the outside.
This is not that difficult of a play to run, but you have to be willing to go under center and get out of the shotgun formation.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Every ******* time its 4th and short, this ******* offense comes out in shotgun and a ******* dinky scat back gets stuffed.
Ok. Let's look at this for one second. We have TWO under the center plays. One for putting the game away and the other a sneak. OMG. How dumb can that be? Why don't you just tell the other team the play right off the bat? Now, if you're eluding to 'several' plays under center, that's a different story.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
On a lighter note, when the Clones got stuffed I picked something up indiscriminately in a fit of rage and hurled it. For the life of me I can't find anything out of place around the house though....I have no idea what I grabbed and launched into the other room. o_O
Space time continuum brah

Reactions: Omaha Cy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ok. Let's look at this for one second. We have TWO under the center plays. One for putting the game away and the other a sneak. OMG. How dumb can that be? Why don't you just tell the other team the play right off the bat? Now, if you're eluding to 'several' plays under center, that's a different story.

4th and 1/2 yard, everyone in the stadium can know you're going to sneak it, and then you should be able to do it.

And ISU doesn't go under center for victory formation.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA

This is idiotic. Of course they know what’s coming the whole stadium knows it’s coming. When you need a foot to get a first down. This play works in far superior numbers than anything else.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not trippin on you, but QB snap under center should probably be a ******* thing that's coached at this level. If its not, maybe our staff needs to be better in the margins.

Maybe also send this message to Dabo, Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Not trippin on you, but QB snap under center should probably be a ******* thing that's coached at this level. If its not, maybe our staff needs to be better in the margins.

I played center. Learned the qb sneak in jr. high. It’s football 101. Not really all that complicated...

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
The other issue is that CMC has yet to put together a road grater line. If ISU could blow guys off the line then sure, lets snap it in shotgun

Fyi, it’s spelled road GRADER, and it’s not the machine of choice here. Graders are primarily used for cutting grade and finish work. Unless your “road grader line” is equipped with a V-plow (such as used for plowing snow), the analogy you want here is “bulldozer” line. Carry on...

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I can see why you don't want Purdy to run the sneak, but just let someone else run it. How about the Eaton kid that was a QB and is now a beefed up TE. This was not just an issue in the bowl game. It was a struggle for most of the season. Coaches are smart guys, they need to look back on all the times ISU failed in what should have been easy conversions, and figure out someway to just physically get a yard. Other teams seem to do it with ease.

Help Support Us

Become a patron