Iowa State strengths and weaknesses

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I suspect both TEs are pretty good. It will be interesting to see how the game plays out. ISU actually has 3 pretty good TEs, and hopefully ISU will use them a lot in both the running and passing games.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I suspect both TEs are pretty good. It will be interesting to see how the game plays out. ISU actually has 3 pretty good TEs, and hopefully ISU will use them a lot in both the running and passing games.
ISU will only have 2 of their top 3 TEs available. Soehner will miss the bowl game due to an injury he sustained in the K State game.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
On the passing side, we tend to throw to a TE in the seam or a TE/WR deep down the middle, or a receiver out wide and short. Not just WR screens though, lots of quick outs, hitch routes We do run the TEs on a lot of crossing routes too. Not too many deep sideline routes.

And as others have said, our special teams hold us back in all facets. FG kickers are inconsistent and have limited range. Kickoffs are short, but our coverage is usually able to keep people from a big return. Our punt return team almost never returns it, either fair catching it or letting it go near the goal line. We've got a decent kick returner in Kene Nwangu but he was part of our RB by committee until Breece took hold of the feature back role and he got dinged up. He's our burner. Our punter is okay, and our coverage is okay. Nothing great. But our longsnapper is world class. :D With merely above average special teams, I'm confident one or two of those close losses would have been wins.

• Informative
Reactions: KenND

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Interesting to see what happens now that ND lost their OC.
Going to be very hard to gameplan for Heacock now.
I'm wary of the "new coordinator bump" that offenses tend to get. See Todd Sturdy, post-Mangino, or KU this year.