CF STAFF CHAT: Discussing the Iowa loss and season outlook

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If you had reading comprehension, I was only using Villanova early 2016 3 point shooting woes as an example that ISU is better than the current 3 pt shooting %. Compared nothing else to ISU and Villanova. Why are you talking about Villanova’s defense and winning championships, again?
Your comparison is ridiculous. Villanova had real, proven shooters in Hart, Jenkins, Arcidiacano, Brunson. Throw Booth in also. Jay Wright (just like today) runs tightly scripted plays and options. He doesn't like to waste possessions.
If you can't shoot from the outside, you're not allowed to shoot for Villanova.
Now compare that to ISU - where anyone seemingly has a green light, whether they can really shoot or not. No shot discipline.
Bottom line: if Nixon, Bolton and Jacobson (to name three) played for Wright, they would be pulled from the floor if they ever jacked a 3.
Get real.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
This is what happens when you rely on the stand-around 3-point offense for the last 5 years.

The team can't get out of that mode. They are the Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight.

• Winner
Reactions: Tornado man

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
The ISU basketball team has an football "air-raid" mentality. They want to hit the big play(s) and run the other team out of the gym. This has been abundantly apparent when they come down and shoot quick, ill-advised, and poor three pointers after an opponents run/score.

It is worth noting that our best run of the night came when we were out-working Iowa and going inside on offense. Unfortunately, ISU loosened up on defense and Iowa made two three point shots. The team then panicked and went back into "air-raid" mode, and things just got worse again.

Things I see for future success include:
1. Limit the "air-raid" mentality and out work the other team...easier said than done.
2. Get Bolton going. His offense inspires his game and intensity. He can finish going downhill. He should get a "drive to the hole play" each four minute period of every game. Between the fouls and finishes he makes it would be worth eight to ten points alone. However, his actual production might be twice that.
3. Caleb Grill's shot mechanics are all off now. Instead of going straight up with proper follow-through, he is kicking a foot out and releasing with a push motion. Caleb could be a big help if he can improve his shot mechanics.
4. Shot mechanics are a problem for most of the team, but nearly all could help themselves by getting their feet set before shooting three's. I think this has been a part of Terrance Lewis' issue. He has a sweet shot when he gets his feet set, but too often hurries his shot.

While my opinions are worth two cents or less and won't win any games, they may make watching this team a a bit easier going forward.

• Winner
Reactions: cyson

h2otower

Nov 30, 2008
C
First time poster... long time reader. The game last night combined with some reactions on here sent me over the edge.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous to see Cyclone fans making comments about Iowa clearly "wanting it more". If that's the case then lets get rid of everyone and start from scratch. This is major college basketball. I'm sure some of what I've read is trolling, but it's a horrible excuse no matter how you slice it.

Maybe this is the Midwest in me, but the one thing every single player on that floor has control over is their effort and attitude. Talent has nothing to do with attitude and effort. There is no excuse for the lackluster effort we saw out of the Cyclones last night. Prohm said he didn't have the team ready. The players also said they weren't ready to play. Well... excuse me, but why the F not!? There is no excuse for that. It's disappointing to hear them admit it and frankly it's a giant red flag for me. If Prohm can't get his team amped up and ready to play a big game in Hilton then he needs to go. Period. End of story.

Iowa has a good team. I think it's pretty clear they have the better team. There's a good chance the Cyclones lose last night even if they would have shown up and given tremendous effort, but the crap we witnessed last night in front of a sold out Hilton was seriously disappointing.
Clone fans need to realize they lost to a superior team and move on. Just come to the realization that in all likelyhood ISU will lose in both FB and BB Next year and enjoy the rest of the season in both.

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
C

Clone fans need to realize they lost to a superior team and move on. Just come to the realization that in all likelyhood ISU will lose in both FB and BB Next year and enjoy the rest of the season in both.

I give us much better odds in football.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
C

Likely that ISU will lose in FB next year? Based on what, the B-ball teaming losing to SH? The FB team won 7 games this year and have almost all of their skill players back. So I guess they'll win 5 or less next year according to you?

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Except when they're unhappy with the current coach for things our previous coach did as well.
People complained about him as well for those things. Such as allowing big runs before a time out. Comes with the style of coaching of trying to let the players play and figure it out. Means giving up some big runs. Was frustrating then. Still is now.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
After the Oregon State game, I stated that this team would not make the NCAA tournament. This team struggled then, and still does, scoring from the parimeter. All the opposing team had to do is play zone against ISU.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
What the **** are you talking about. Young got called for a ridiculously weak flagrant 1 because the Iowa player ran into his arm. I’d have to rewatch but Young is one of the most underrated players on the team. He doesn’t do the big play but he is really important to the teams success.
10 points, 2 rebounds. Meanwhile, the guy he was guarding went a double-double. Swinging your arm out at shoulder-level is almost never going to end well. As I said, he had a stretch in the second half where he was very effective at both ends of the floor. But if he can only be effective for 4 minutes, he should only be playing for 4 minutes. It's not like Iowa is a final four team or something. If we played hard, disciplined basketball, we should have at least been able to make a game of it. I'm not blaming the players; it's hard for them to coach themselves. We just have a mediocre-at-best basketball coach.

Tommy Cicero

Dec 13, 2019
10 points, 2 rebounds. Meanwhile, the guy he was guarding went a double-double. Swinging your arm out at shoulder-level is almost never going to end well. As I said, he had a stretch in the second half where he was very effective at both ends of the floor. But if he can only be effective for 4 minutes, he should only be playing for 4 minutes. It's not like Iowa is a final four team or something. If we played hard, disciplined basketball, we should have at least been able to make a game of it. I'm not blaming the players; it's hard for them to coach themselves. We just have a mediocre-at-best basketball coach.

It’s hard to disagree with this. Is it just me or does it feel like Young has regressed a bit? I had high hopes for him early in his career, but it’s reasonable to conclude that injuries (wrist, groin, knee) have hampered his development.

I’m gonna throw this out there because it is a worst case scenario thought that crossed my mind during the Iowa game...

I sure hope Xavier Foster keeps his commitment. He chose Iowa State over Iowa because he felt like it is the best place for him to develop. When he made the announcement it made perfect sense to me. Historically speaking Fran has struggled to develop players, but if you look at the big man position on both rosters right now no one on Iowa State has developed the way Garza has. He has made huge improvements thus far in his care career as a Hawkeye. I think a lot of that is due to him, his work ethic, and the way his parents raised him, but you certainly have to get credit to Fran and his staff for how they’ve handled him.

Foster admitted he was born and raised a Hawkeye fan. Garza having a huge season for them makes me worry he could flip.

No doubt I’ll get thrown in front of the firing squad for saying it.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It’s hard to disagree with this. Is it just me or does it feel like Young has regressed a bit? I had high hopes for him early in his career, but it’s reasonable to conclude that injuries (wrist, groin, knee) have hampered his development.

I’m gonna throw this out there because it is a worst case scenario thought that crossed my mind during the Iowa game...

I sure hope Xavier Foster keeps his commitment. He chose Iowa State over Iowa because he felt like it is the best place for him to develop. When he made the announcement it made perfect sense to me. Historically speaking Fran has struggled to develop players, but if you look at the big man position on both rosters right now no one on Iowa State has developed the way Garza has. He has made huge improvements thus far in his care career as a Hawkeye. I think a lot of that is due to him, his work ethic, and the way his parents raised him, but you certainly have to get credit to Fran and his staff for how they’ve handled him.

Foster admitted he was born and raised a Hawkeye fan. Garza having a huge season for them makes me worry he could flip.

I don't think you're crazy for having this fear. Especially after back to back double digit losses to those guys. Strictly based on who's producing NBA talent though, Iowa State and Prohm are leap years ahead of Iowa still. Garza is a pro for sure though, he will end Iowa's draft drought. Not sure what his ceiling is, and he's a bit limited athletically, but the dude can ball. Could see him being a mid-late 2nd round guy right now, but probably gonna see him again next year regardless.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

I don't think he has regressed, I just think he is the same as he always been. He has always been strong and a smart player for the most part but never that skilled and never a good rebounder.

Foster can't flip. He signed. But all Foster has to do is look at Conditt.

Tommy Cicero

Dec 13, 2019
I don't think he has regressed, I just think he is the same as he always been. He has always been strong and a smart player for the most part but never that skilled and never a good rebounder.

Gotcha. My bad. That’s a good thing he has signed already.

Regarding Young... it’s also probably true that he had more talent around him in the past which made it easier for him to be a role player. It may have been unrealistic to think he’d ever be more
than a role player.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

Conditt has developed. Give him another year and he will be as good if not better than Garza is now. IMO.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SEIACyclone

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014

Tell that to Anderson and Leech.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Conditt has developed. Give him another year and he will be as good if not better than Garza is now. IMO.
I think they're different players entirely. One could not do what the other does. Garza is gritty and intelligent. Conditt, right now at least, is all athleticism and and explosiveness. I suppose George could develop a finesse layer, but overall has a much higher ceiling and much lower floor than Garza.