2020 Heisman List.....Brock Purdy?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Most of the line leaves this season, so not sure how much to expect next year. Pettway was our big, physical receiver this year. He will be hard to replace.

Not a stretch of the imagination whatsoever to say Iowa State will have a top three tight end room in the nation next year with Kolar, Allen and Soehner. Kolar will be one of the preseason frontrunner for the Mackey Award. Shaw will get stronger and will likely take a big leap next year. Those are four tall, physical targets. Milton is your homerun hitter. I could see Scates or Wilson make a giant leap. Dont sleep on the incoming freshman Daniel Jackson. Plenty of targets.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
People said we couldnt replace Montgomery and Butler. Jones and Pettway are great players but the offense IMO should be better.
Some people said that, but just like for next year, there were people in the pipeline.

I wasn’t too bearish on replacing Butler due to his drop rate and the nature of the passing game. Having a more spread out target distribution isn’t a bad thing. Have we replaced DM, or has the line improved? One could argue not having DM did cost us two wins prior to Hall stepping up.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Brock will hold all of ISUs passing records when he’s done here, but he is not better than Seneca. Seneca played with a hell of a lot less talent, worse coaching, and a much worse offensive line. If Seneca had the talent around him that Brock does, not to mention the coaching, Seneca could have won a heisman. Brock is a great QB, and we are lucky that he chose ISU, and we are watching greatness, but he’s not as talented as Seneca was.

This is why I don't like sports comparisons with all the variables.

I LOVE Seneca and loved his play, but Purdy is breaking his records and doing things we've never seen done.

Is Craig Brackins better than Georges Niang? Similar argument, but again what are the variables we are comparing?

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Some people said that, but just like for next year, there were people in the pipeline.

I wasn’t too bearish on replacing Butler due to his drop rate and the nature of the passing game. Having a more spread out target distribution isn’t a bad thing. Have we replaced DM, or has the line improved? One could argue not having DM did cost us two wins prior to Hall stepping up.

Give Breece Hall an entire offseason in the weight room to play along side an upperclassmen in Brock Purdy and people will start to forget about David Montgomery.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Give Breece Hall an entire offseason in the weight room to play along side an upperclassmen in Brock Purdy and people will start to forget about David Montgomery.
Of course, but that doesn’t mean anything in regards to the question of whether we’d replace DM in 2019. Imo the drop off isn’t very much now, but it certainly was in the Iowa and Baylor losses.

• Agree
Reactions: RivClone23

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Brock will be on some preseason lists. Despite good numbers, will he still be considered "mostly a dark horse"? Would not surprise me.

Returrners likely to be in contention for preseason:
Justin Fields
Trevor Lawrence
Chuba Hubbard
Brock Burdy
J.K. Dobbins (Ohio State)
I assume Jonathan Taylor (UW) declares for the draft?

Can OU bring in yet another Heisman contender?
I'm guessing a returner from Georgia (or maybe LSU) winds up on preseason lists?
Probably several other possibilities I'm overlooking.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Not a stretch of the imagination whatsoever to say Iowa State will have a top three tight end room in the nation next year with Kolar, Allen and Soehner. Kolar will be one of the preseason frontrunner for the Mackey Award. Shaw will get stronger and will likely take a big leap next year. Those are four tall, physical targets. Milton is your homerun hitter. I could see Scates or Wilson make a giant leap. Dont sleep on the incoming freshman Daniel Jackson. Plenty of targets.

It's not exactly a stretch to say ISU has a top three tight end room right now.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Brock will be on some preseason lists. Despite good numbers, will he still be considered "mostly a dark horse"? Would not surprise me.

Returrners likely to be in contention for preseason:
Justin Fields
Trevor Lawrence
Chuba Hubbard
Brock Burdy
J.K. Dobbins (Ohio State)
I assume Jonathan Taylor (UW) declares for the draft?

Can OU bring in yet another Heisman contender?
I'm guessing a returner from Georgia (or maybe LSU) winds up on preseason lists?
Probably several other possibilities I'm overlooking.

Spencer Rattler will probably be the starting QB for OU next year. He was expected to start this year as a Freshman before the Hurts transfer.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Don't forget Skylar Loving-Black. That kid could be right behind - and I mean right behind those three. Having 4 TEs of that caliber would truly be an embarrassment of riches.

EDIT: I am curious though. He was listed very light (6-3, 215) for a TE this year. I wonder how much muscle and weight he put on during this season and what weight he will play at starting next season.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
IF "brock will step into his throws". If Brock doesn't start running again....it would not be the first time we have changed QBs. Is there another position Brock can play?

• Funny
  • Useful
Reactions: harimad and Aclone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Don't forget Skylar Loving-Black. That kid could be right behind - and I mean right behind those three. Having 4 TEs of that caliber would truly be an embarrassment of riches.

EDIT: I am curious though. He was listed very light (6-3, 215) for a TE this year. I wonder how much muscle and weight he put on during this season and what weight he will play at starting next season.

Manning likes to use a bigger target in a "tight slot" position. Two years ago he used Butler in that role. Good target in that seam down the middle and an athletic enough blocker to get out and block an OLB. I think we will see Loving-Black in that role some next year. Not to mention Campbell called him out by name a couple weeks ago as one of the guys not playing that have made some great strides and should have an impact next year. With the talent at TE and inexperience of the OL I expect a lot of heavy formations, which I think also gives ISU a nice advantage vs. the Big 12 defenses primarily built for speed.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Most of the line leaves this season, so not sure how much to expect next year. Pettway was our big, physical receiver this year. He will be hard to replace.
Deja vu...

I wonder they may put Scates/Wilson/Akers at Milton’s spot running those deep routes, moving Milton back to M receiver where he gets more touches, and then putting Shaw in Pettway’s spot.
I’d add Porter and Hutchinson to that mix...what is this whole “assembling talent” thing that CMC has going on?!! :)

Let’s call it 5 TE’s, if Easton Dean manages to put on about twenty pounds of muscle.

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Ramos at LT, Downing LG, Newell C, Hudson RG I feel fine about.. it's RT that has me a little worried. Maybe Foster takes a step up? Maybe a grad transfer?
OT from SD might be in there after his red shirt year too!