Iowa Basketball's Super Bowl

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We definitely respect your program and atmosphere. Not very impressed with the Prohm and Pollard duo. Prohm is trending down, and if you compare Pollard vs Barta head- to-head in revenue sports recently, Jamie hasn’t been good.

I’m totally ok with it being called our Super Bowl. The all-time series is 46-27. It’s weird to call something a Super Bowl if you win it 2/3 of the time and it references the wrong sport. Either way, as long as we make it Iowa’s Super Bowl, I’m good.
You seem reasonable but you can't really be this dense re: Pollard vs Barta. Barta started right as the Big 10 network was starting. Every Big10 AD has made massive revenue. I think it is Black heart gold pants that has a great timeline on Barta basically botching everything.

A better assessment is having over a decade of a massive revenue disadvantage due TV ISU has all but pulled even with Iowa in terms of facilities and overall health of the AD over that time.

HawkInCO

Sep 15, 2019
If you'd rather have Barta as your AD over JP, that's all the evidence I need to know that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I would rather win. Pollard likes to troll on twitter and say ridiculous things like how Campbell owns black jerseys and that ISU is the big dog around these parts that make him seem petty and juvenile, especially when you aren’t backing it up. Barta is a great fundraiser, a member of the CFPC, and has all of the revenue programs winning it a really nice clip.

You guys can have your guy. He doesn’t jive with the way I want to see IOWA present themselves. Gary has his issues as well, but I definitely do not want to swap.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I would rather win. Pollard likes to troll on twitter and say ridiculous things like how Campbell owns black jerseys and that ISU is the big dog around these parts that make him seem petty and juvenile, especially when you aren’t backing it up. Barta is a great fundraiser, a member of the CFPC, and has all of the revenue programs winning it a really nice clip.

You guys can have your guy. He doesn’t jive with the way I want to see IOWA present themselves. Gary has his issues as well, but I definitely do not want to swap.
So just to be clear here, you would rather have an AD that got sued and lost for discriminating on sexual orientation than someone that acts juvenile once in a while on twitter?

HawkInCO

Sep 15, 2019
So just to be clear here, you would rather have an AD that got sued and lost for discriminating on sexual orientation than someone that acts juvenile once in a while on twitter?

He fired someone who was reputably failing at her assigned work and was also sleeping with a colleague. Not saying it could not have been handled better, but these are very timely and complex issues and the deck is always stacked in favor of discriminated parties.

I think immaturity and a lack of humility are poor badges on a leader.

Look, keep your guy and use your own personal criteria. We will do the same. Our wrestling team is #1 nationally (maybe a touch overrated, we’ll see), we got a WBB trophy and #2 seed, advanced further in the tourney than in too long with the men, and will be a top 25 football team two years in a row. It’s not bad in IC so I feel pretty good.

• Disagree
Reactions: cycloner29

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Imagine thinking Gary Barta is a better AD than a guy that just got ISU a bowl game vs Notre Dame after a 7 win season

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

HawkInCO

Sep 15, 2019
Imagine thinking Gary Barta is a better AD than a guy that just got ISU a bowl game vs Notre Dame after a 7 win season

You are not listening. I never said one is better than the other. One is more appropriate based our criteria and the above mentioned results.

Congrats on the bowl bid. I get how that could be one of the measures you put in place for success & you seem very happy with the draw.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We definitely respect your program and atmosphere. Not very impressed with the Prohm and Pollard duo. Prohm is trending down, and if you compare Pollard vs Barta head- to-head in revenue sports recently, Jamie hasn’t been good.
Anybody that has any common sense knows why there is a larger revenue at Iowa. The addition of Rutgers and Maryland really brought it a lot of TV coin. It was never about athletic prowess otherwise invitations would have been given to other schools.
I’m not in the Prohm trending down camp. We lost so many pieces from last year, we’ve got to get things figured out obviously this year. But he also signed a good class, including a lifelong Hawk legacy.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel and CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You are not listening. I never said one is better than the other. One is more appropriate based our criteria and the above mentioned results.

Congrats on the bowl bid. I get how that could be one of the measures you put in place for success & you seem very happy with the draw.

Who do you think is a better AD? Pollard or Barta? It's a one word answer

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If you'd rather have Barta as your AD over JP, that's all the evidence I need to know that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Can't stand Barta, waiting for the day he retires.

That said, he never stepped up to a press conference podium and actually claimed that his conference was conspiring against him and trying to sabotage his athletic programs.

Sadly, I'll take Barta.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Can't stand Barta, waiting for the day he retires.

That said, he never stepped up to a press conference podium and actually claimed that his conference was conspiring against him and trying to sabotage his athletic programs.

Sadly, I'll take Barta.
Barta stepped up to a witness chair in a court room and claimed he isn't a discriminator.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude and ATCy

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
ISU fans of all people should understand what shooters do for teams. If ISU just put one more shooter on the floor with your team this year, and the team is way, way better. Your spacing becomes better, it opens up Halliburton to drive and score or dish to an actual threat on the perimeter. It opens up Young and Jacobson to work down low. I mean I am beginning to wonder if you understand basketball if you don't get what shooters do for an offense.
Fredrick

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Barta. Biggest reasons are the current health of IOWA programs (I haven’t even mentioned baseball which is performing very well or field hockey which won the B1G) and the fact that Pollard lost Cael and Fred.
So you lose someone (Fred) when they go to the professional ranks?
Do you think Kirk loses players to the NFL then and he should be blamed?

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone.TV

HawkInCO

Sep 15, 2019
So you lose someone (Fred) when they go to the professional ranks?
Do you think Kirk loses players to the NFL then and he should be blamed?

Not really the same thing since all kids are leaving at some point within a 5 year period but I will play along.

Depends. Did the kid get good advice? Did he graduate? Was he ready? If Ferentz gave a kid advice to go and he does not get drafted, he absolutely should carry some blame. If he tells a kid who could have prospered but was convinced otherwise by Ferentz and the kid gets hurt, I hold Ferentz partially accountable.

Got to ask similar questions with Fred because Izzo has been offered professional-level jobs and stays. Could Pollard have done more? Did Pollard offer him a career path? Did Fred just want more money? Could Pollard have reached out to one of these huge donors who he clearly is kicking ass with and asked them for some loot?

I would say in both instances, coaches and AD’s demonstrate some level of impact on these types of situations. If they have no impact, that is probably a bigger problem.