Is Lewis injured because

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We were 47th in AdjD last year and 42nd in 2016-17

Yeah. When those are cited as the good years, you aren't a program that's anywhere near good defensively. That's fine if you can score. Scoring's going to be tough this year if we shoot like we have been and, at this point, I find it hard to believe it's just a tough start.

• Agree
Reactions: Baseline23

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
Let me ask a couple of simple question. Particularly to those of you who have actually played basketball above playing HORSE at your buddy Eddy Haskel's backyard hoop.

1. If someone tells a certain player, even on the 7th grade AAU team, "gets lost on defense" all the time, what might your follow-up question be?
Mine would be, "Well, WHY [TF] does this guy get lost on defense "all the time"? And whose job is it to address this grievous-sounding situation? What position/space situations is he being asked to guard? Are we in man d all of time, and are we switching or hedging....or has this ever been decided in the first place.?
Again: who TF or where TF is the coach or coaches in all of this?
[Any btw, which positions, spacially, do y'all think are easier to guard on the court...or are they all equal?]

2. The second question I would ask, now that it has been brought up is, is Mono the same affliction as being "injured"? And why is this a big secret, or is it?
The one I know the answer to. Although many injuries can be lingering, mono by its very nature manifests in lethargy and the inability to concentrate.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He had a steal and a weak side block. His defense was no more terrible than anyone else's. Bolton can't play D to save his life.

I know no one will but go back and watch the time he was on the floor, he had a deer in the headlights look every trip on defense. He played hard but he was constantly out of place, got lost on every screen and missed every switch. I know people are looking for a bright spot or some cure all for this teams struggles but the reality is, last night, TL was exactly who he's been, he didn't prove he's improved on the things that kept him out of the lineup.

I'd love for him to make strides but as is, Prohm will have to figure out ways to hide him on that end of the floor or decide if his offense is worth risking what he gives up on defense.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I know no one will but go back and watch the time he was on the floor, he had a deer in the headlights look every trip on defense. He played hard but he was constantly out of place, got lost on every screen and missed every switch. I know people are looking for a bright spot or some cure all for this teams struggles but the reality is, last night, TL was exactly who he's been, he didn't prove he's improved on the things that kept him out of the lineup.

I'd love for him to make strides but as is, Prohm will have to figure out ways to hide him on that end of the floor or decide if his offense is worth risking what he gives up on defense.
I completely agree that he struggled last night. Question is... When was the last time he practiced with the first team in practice? I'm guessing it has been a long time since he shared being on a team with Haliburton. Those switches/hedges etc take a lot of confidence and team work to make it work. I wonder if he does start to play a little more if that helps.

Side note: I thought the same thing about Zion, but still doesn't seem to get what we are trying to do on defense.

Reactions: ISUCE and heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I completely agree that he struggled last night. Question is... When was the last time he practiced with the first team in practice? I'm guessing it has been a long time since he shared being on a team with Haliburton. Those switches/hedges etc take a lot of confidence and team work to make it work. I wonder if he does start to play a little more if that helps.

Side note: I thought the same thing about Zion, but still doesn't seem to get what we are trying to do on defense.

You make a great point, don't get me wrong, I'd love TL to be able to make strides and be a consistent contributor, I just think the way things shook out last night, people are ignoring his flaws simply because he hit a couple shots.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
give lewis credit

he came in and did what others couldnt.

although you could tell he was getting screamed at by prohm when he kept forgetting to get into the press.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
give lewis credit

although you could tell he was getting screamed at by prohm when he kept forgetting to get into the press.

The most impressive thing about TL last night was his effort, he had some mental lapses but his energy was refreshing to see and it really stood out against what we got from some of the other players.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
give lewis credit

I tell you what, I honestly think Lewis earned some playing time last night even though his defense was atrocious. If Lewis can consistently knock down a three, he will continue to see the floor. It will no doubt be limited because of his inability to figure out his defense, but you have to put guys out there that can shoot the ball. I know I know, Lewis hasn't shot the ball well but last night he came into the game and knocked down a three on his first shot, something that I think has happened maybe one time this year.

If Grill and Jackson aren't going to produce at all on offense, then you have to put someone in there that will. I think Grill and Jackson will be good, they're young freshman getting thrown to the dogs, but right now we're looking for shooters and I think if you play Terrence enough, he could give you some made threes.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I tell you what, I honestly think Lewis earned some playing time last night even though his defense was atrocious. If Lewis can consistently knock down a three, he will continue to see the floor. It will no doubt be limited because of his inability to figure out his defense, but you have to put guys out there that can shoot the ball. I know I know, Lewis hasn't shot the ball well but last night he came into the game and knocked down a three on his first shot, something that I think has happened maybe one time this year.

If Grill and Jackson aren't going to produce at all on offense, then you have to put someone in there that will. I think Grill and Jackson will be good, they're young freshman getting thrown to the dogs, but right now we're looking for shooters and I think if you play Terrence enough, he could give you some made threes.

i think he's one of the best shooters on the team.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUCE

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
i think he's one of the best shooters on the team.
I want to disagree with you but there's nothing for me to bring up that makes me think otherwise. Right now I don't want anyone to shoot the ball outside of Halliburton and that's bad. I think you might have to roll with Lewis for some minutes and if he does terrible, well then go back to what you were originally doing. You cannot keep going 4-25 in games though.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Is 2019-20 Terrence Lewis better than 2019-20 Jackson and Grill? Maybe.

will playing Lewis more help ISU win games? No

happy he made some shots but i don’t see how him, Jackson, or Grill are going to make enough of an impact in conference play for ISU reach the goal of NCAA tournament this season
I definitely don’t see this team making the tournament. I agree with you on that.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
If Lewis can improve, in any way on D, that will help this team on the offensive end.

But once Grill hits that first 3 in a high leverage spot or has “that game” where he gets multiple buckets and min... I think he locks that spot down. He young and lost as well, but man he plays hard and tough.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
We've seen that Jacobson/Griffin have struggled at the 4 spot, so why not give Lewis some run as a small ball 4? Yes he will be a liability defensively, but so far everyone has been, so how much are we losing? And that at least gives Hali another option on offense.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Play more zone.. our man to man is brutal and the other teams are already getting clean looks from 3

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If Lewis can improve, in any way on D, that will help this team on the offensive end.

But once Grill hits that first 3 in a high leverage spot or has “that game” where he gets multiple buckets and min... I think he locks that spot down. He young and lost as well, but man he plays hard and tough.

I don't get the love for Grill. He's running around like a chicken with his head cut-off losing his guy on defense and when he does shoot a 3 it's not even close to the rim.

Not hating on the kid and hope he turns out to be good but right now I don't understand why he is getting the minutes he does.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
I wonder how well Zion/Terrence can play zone/press. if we have Tyrese, Zion, Terrence, Solo/Jacobson, and Conditt, that gives us a really big/long athletic lineup with all the guards at 6'6". Obviously not for a starting lineup but it would be an interesting combination to see on the floor.

Reactions: ATCy

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't get the love for Grill. He's running around like a chicken with his head cut-off losing his guy on defense and when he does shoot a 3 it's not even close to the rim.

Not hating on the kid and hope he turns out to be good but right now I don't understand why he is getting the minutes he does.
effort. If TLew was giving that effort he gave all the time (practice and games) I am sure he would be in that position. And hey, I hope that was the light going off in TLew's head saying "hey, this is what you need to do if you want to contribute". It was great to see him finally do it when he got his number called

Reactions: heitclone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
effort. If TLew was giving that effort he gave all the time (practice and games) I am sure he would be in that position. And hey, I hope that was the light going off in TLew's head saying "hey, this is what you need to do if you want to contribute". It was great to see him finally do it when he got his number called

That's fair regarding effort.