Doyle cost Epenesa millions

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Epenesa was not given anymore attention on pass downs than anyone else. It's not like we doubled him every play.

Just looking through the vid that was posted he was doubled/chipped 17 times. None of Iowa's other guys were doubled that much. It's ok, CMC called AJE a generational talent. He'd be silly not to gameplan the O around neutralizing him. Nothing to be embarrassed about. I'd want my coach to do the same.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Just looking through the vid that was posted he was doubled/chipped 17 times. None of Iowa's other guys were doubled that much. It's ok, CMC called AJE a generational talent. He'd be silly not to gameplan the O around neutralizing him. Nothing to be embarrassed about. I'd want my coach to do the same.
We ran the ball at least that many times. You don't double on pass downs, not really how pass protection works because it would be fodder for the delayed LB blitz.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
We ran the ball at least that many times. You don't double on pass downs, not really how pass protection works because it would be fodder for the delayed LB blitz.

You should watch the very first play of the video on post #405, pg 21.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
One play? How is that making your case?

That was just the easiest to point out. If you watch the rest of the video you'll see lots of pass plays with designed double-teams on him. At 2:35 of the video the broadcaster even comments that ISU "is doing a good job of keeping two guys on Epenesa." Another pass play where he's double teamed. I still don't get why you guys get so chaffed about this. I'd hope Phil Parker would have a gameplan to account for Purdy's running and ability to scramble and make plays. Good coaches gameplan around the opposition's best players.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That was just the easiest to point out. If you watch the rest of the video you'll see lots of pass plays with designed double-teams on him. At 2:35 of the video the broadcaster even comments that ISU "is doing a good job of keeping two guys on Epenesa." Another pass play where he's double teamed. I still don't get why you guys get so chaffed about this. I'd hope Phil Parker would have a gameplan to account for Purdy's running and ability to scramble and make plays. Good coaches gameplan around the opposition's best players.
Because it's just not true. If the guard is free then sure he can help the tackle or if the TE/ RB chips as they release sure but that isn't just used against him. That's basics.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
You said some Niemann kid was the best LB in the state and think a 6'4 215 lb WR would play fullback if he transferred to Iowa. Either you didn't play football or you didn't learn much

Some Niemann kid looked pretty good last night and the Northwestern kid would be a nice H-Back, similar to how WI uses theirs. Not in the traditional power mode but on counters and wheel routes etc. Similar as the wingback position used in small town Iowa wing-t offenses, which I’m undoubtedly sure you’re familiar with.

Last edited:

h2otower

Nov 30, 2008
Who's to blame? Ferentz? Doyle?

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-college-football-week-6-2020-nfl-draft-scouting-notes

WHERE’S THE DOMINANCE FROM EPENESA?
It was supposed to be a two-horse race at the edge position heading into this season, but after six weeks, there’s no more debate. Ohio State’s Chase Young is having an all-time start to his season while Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa is mired in mediocrity adjusting to his full-time role. While Young puts up single-game pass-rushing grades of 90.0-plus week in and week out, Epenesa has yet to even crack 80.0 in any of Iowa’s five games this season. While the Iowa defense doesn’t allow as much freedom as Ohio State’s to attack, a player with Epenesa’s physical tools should be dominating regardless. He had a higher pass-rushing grade as a true freshman (78.8) than he does currently (76.8). The season is still young, but Epenesa needs to show us that dominance again soon.
Dumbest thread I've seen on here for quite awhile. So little brother of you guys.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The kids a generational talent, he started the year as a top 10 draft pick, fell off to a late to first/ second round, then picked up his game to move back into the 10 to 20 spot.

With his output the last 5 games or so, he as all but assured that he is not coming back for another year. His moving on helps ISU next year, and I am all for it.

Last edited:

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
its really sad how far a good program like iowa has fallen. they used to scoff at mid December bowls against no name teams. now they are showering in miller lite or whatever they drink. very sad. hope they see it before its too late (brian ferentz-snyder). praying for them

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
The kids a generational talent, he started the year as a top 10 draft pick, fell off to a late to first/ second round, then picked up his game to move back into the 10 to 20 spot.

With his output the last 5 games or so, he as all but assured that he is not coming back for another year. His moving on helps ISU next year, and I am all for it.

LOL, he never "dropped" in the draft at any point this year.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
LOL, he never "dropped" in the draft at any point this year.

Whatever, he started the year, being talked about as a top 5 pick. After the first 5 games he had what 1.5 sacks, and less than 10 tackles. He had fallen behind the kid from OSU in the talk for the best D-lineman in college.

People on your own sites were wondering what the problem was, and draft experts lowered his ranking in their mock drafts.

Do you see any draft projections today that have him ranked anywhere close to where he was at the start of the season? If so, please list them. Otherwise go back to the Iowa board.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
AJ was a bit up and down a bit this year but his draft status had nothing at all to do with his production. How he performs/measures in Indy carries much more weight than his numbers this year. He really only needs a few big moments to stick out to satisfy scouts, the Minnesota game, where he wreaked havoc moving around on the DL will be talked about until the draft. He's had two good years at Iowa but his best football is still ahead of him, he's going to be a beast, NFL DC's are going to have a field day with his versatility.

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
Well you don’t really know what the drafters are thinking. I think there are some work ethic and effort issues they will consider in addition to run defense. Consistency isn’t there.
tumblr_mh9cogeWKF1qfk87to1_500.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Doc

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Announcers last night were saying he started possible top ten and now the word is he is borderline late first/early second round pick.

Well you don’t really know what the drafters are thinking. I think there are some work ethic and effort issues they will consider in addition to run defense. Consistency isn’t there.

Whatever, he started the year, being talked about as a top 5 pick. After the first 5 games he had what 1.5 sacks, and less than 10 tackles. He had fallen behind the kid from OSU in the talk for the best D-lineman in college.

People on your own sites were wondering what the problem was, and draft experts lowered his ranking in their mock drafts.

Do you see any draft projections today that have him ranked anywhere close to where he was at the start of the season? If so, please list them. Otherwise go back to the Iowa board.

Wanna make a bet? I say he goes in the top 25 of the draft then, and you say late first round 25-32 or early second round.