Doyle cost Epenesa millions

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
They had a really good plan going into the game. Obvious gameplan was centered around making AJ a non-factor and attacking the freshman 5th string DB who was in due to injuries. To that extent, they were rather successful as attacking the inexperienced Johnson led directly to 82% of their points. Kid grew up a lot that game, but there was a reason he really never played except for special teams once the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string guys got healthy. Smart move by the ISU coaching staff. Would have been interesting to see what they would have tried against our end of season backfield.

It's like some are ashamed or embarrassed to admit that MC gameplanned around AJE. I don't get it. If my team's coaches are going into a game with a generational talent at his position, I'd hope they were customizing a gameplan to neutralize his impact. Very weird.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Easiest question to ask hawk fans is how many times was Epenesa double teamed in the Miami of Ohio game? This will tell you how much they paid attention to blocking. Miami’s LT basically went one on one with him for most of the game. Rarely had help.

Epenesa will get drafted, and I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but he definitely has some things to clean up. In our game and Miami’s game, Epenesa would do his typically pass rush sell out where he would rush hard upfield and try to come on the back side of the QB. The Miami LT would hesitate a fraction of a second, stay low and drive in under his near shoulder pad and just assist him in running upfield so Epenesa would be 5 yards behind the QB by the time he got to the level of the QB. He basically just ran him off the play.

What I saw if Nebraska was a LT that would shove him into the LG ( and with an on, in, out process you are taught from JH through HS dominately) that is not what you want to do with a player like him. It’s like giving a free pass. One thing I would say Epenesa needs to work on is pad level. He comes in high. Our one DT (David I forget his last name but the Stop sign guy) had that issue and he was able to fix it and played with the cowboys for several years.
Easiest question to ask hawk fans is how many times was Epenesa double teamed in the Miami of Ohio game? This will tell you how much they paid attention to blocking. Miami’s LT basically went one on one with him for most of the game. Rarely had help.

Epenesa will get drafted, and I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but he definitely has some things to clean up. In our game and Miami’s game, Epenesa would do his typically pass rush sell out where he would rush hard upfield and try to come on the back side of the QB. The Miami LT would hesitate a fraction of a second, stay low and drive in under his near shoulder pad and just assist him in running upfield so Epenesa would be 5 yards behind the QB by the time he got to the level of the QB. He basically just ran him off the play.

What I saw if Nebraska was a LT that would shove him into the LG ( and with an on, in, out process you are taught from JH through HS dominately) that is not what you want to do with a player like him. It’s like giving a free pass. One thing I would say Epenesa needs to work on is pad level. He comes in high. Our one DT (David I forget his last name but the Stop sign guy) had that issue and he was able to fix it and played with the cowboys for several years.

Epenesa got a lot better against the RPO as the season went on. He quit trying to speed rush every play and he played more like a traditional DE that had to honor the run as well. He really improved in that area as the season went on. He was a beast this year and we would be very lucky to get him for another year.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It's like some are ashamed or embarrassed to admit that MC gameplanned around AJE. I don't get it. If my team's coaches are going into a game with a generational talent at his position, I'd hope they were customizing a gameplan to neutralize his impact. Very weird.

I don't understand it either. MC would have been a fool to not game plan for Epenesa. He did and almost won the game.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Epenesa got a lot better against the RPO as the season went on. He quit trying to speed rush every play and he played more like a traditional DE that had to honor the run as well. He really improved in that area as the season went on. He was a beast this year and we would be very lucky to get him for another year.

That is good for him and the hawks. At the start, it want even RPOs that was his issue, you just ran at him and he was so busy pass rushing any play that you could run right past him with a traditional running play.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't understand it either. MC would have been a fool to not game plan for Epenesa. He did and almost won the game.

His game plan was have a first team All Big 12 OL own him and it worked. That first team All Conference OL was from Cedar Rapids and Ferentz took the Paulsen twins over him. Yikes!!!

• Funny
Reactions: dexterhawk

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
There was nothing in that video they did differently than any other game...other than KSU where all the passing highlights would have been incomplete.

I’m beginning to think you aren’t understanding what’s being shown in the video. Either you didn’t play football or you didn’t learn much

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I’m beginning to think you aren’t understanding what’s being shown in the video. Either you didn’t play football or you didn’t learn much

I didn’t learn much about football...from the guy who said Lima had worse stats than 3 Iowa DTs when he plays nose in the 3 man front? Classic

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
I didn’t learn much about football...from the guy who said Lima had worse stats than 3 Iowa DTs when he plays nose in the 3 man front? Classic

He’s not the most athletic guy, even for a NT. You think he’ll get drafted? He’s on the bubble right now.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

You said some Niemann kid was the best LB in the state and think a 6'4 215 lb WR would play fullback if he transferred to Iowa. Either you didn't play football or you didn't learn much

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Epenesa was not given anymore attention on pass downs than anyone else. It's not like we doubled him every play.

• Funny
Reactions: iahawks