Iowa Basketball's Super Bowl

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
An old man will run onto the floor to attack Fran when Iowa wins on a last second shot.

You really think Fran will make it to the end of the game before assaulting one of his own players?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I love Niang, but Lester, Marble, and Armstrong.

And when Marble was cocced up he was better than Jordan.
I think you have to use a player that is more comparable in size/position. Ricky Davis comes to mind. But Georges > Ricky

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Lester scored 1675 points in college. Niang scored 2,228. Lol cmon man

Mr Twins; I agree Niang was an incredible Cyclone - one of the best I've ever seen for my Cyclones.
Lester was equivalent for Iowa and their Final 4 run.
A little historical perspective is beneficial here: Lester played at Iowa before the Shot Clock was implemented at the Collegiate level. Lute Olson was notorious for going into a 4-corner stall for most of the game whenever Iowa had a lead. This is most certainly responsible for Lester's depressed scoring.

• Informative
Reactions: aobie

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Either way, they both made the tournament as an at large, both had similar records and Iowa won the head to head. ISU gets a bump for winning the Big 12 Tourney and Iowa gets a bump for winning an NCAA game.

There wasn't some big monumental upset last year. Both teams were pretty equal last year.

New Mexico State went 30-5 last year -- a much better record than both of the high-major Iowa teams -- and won its conference/conference tournament before losing to Auburn (an eventual Final Four team) in the first round by one (78-77). Did they have a season that was as good or even better than Iowa and Iowa State's seasons last year?

No. Duh.

They were #49 on Bart Torvik and played in the WAC. They played two quadrant I-A games all season, and lost them both (to Kansas and Auburn).

ISU had six quadrant I-A wins last year. Iowa had two.

The quality of your schedule, your conference, your wins, and the quality of your games (e.g., being the only team to defeat eventual national runner-up Texas Tech in Lubbock last year) all count for something. You need more than just straight wins and losses.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Mr Twins; I agree Niang was an incredible Cyclone - one of the best I've ever seen for my Cyclones.
A little historical perspective is beneficial here: Lester played at Iowa before the Shot Clock was implemented at the Collegiate level. Lute Olson was notorious for going into a 4-corner stall for most of the game whenever Iowa had a lead. This is most certainly responsible for Lester's depressed scoring.

Yeah I get what you're saying and agree with you that Niang was better than Lester and any other player to wear that uniform

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Don’t forget about that gold medal he won too.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Yeah I get what you're saying and agree with you that Niang was better than Lester and any other player to wear that uniform

Likewise, I agree with your statement that this game Thursday is of "Superbowl" proportion and we Cyclones need to take it as serious as the Hoks do !