Friday OT #2 - T-bone Steak, Cheese Eggs, and Welch's Grape

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I don't indulge in much myself
but the amount of sunny d and pop tarts my roommate went through in college was alarming.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Commas are often a mystery to me. I know about the separating a list of items. But sometimes I'm not sure if one goes in what feels like a natural break in a long sentence, or not. (Like that one - two words back). In those cases I'll cheat and throw in the dash.

Probably wrong but I do it.

As with many grammar rules, flexibility exists within the parameters. Your use of the common in that sentence works for me, useful for subtle emphasis. It could go without a comma and work fine, but it's a smidgen more "rambly." Another place you could add a comma to add a pause point -- "But sometimes <comma> I'm not sure if ..."

Edit: Your sentence reads effectively as-is.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie and jcyclonee

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Above: Popsicles, Coffee, Bourbon, Irish Coffee, chicken wings, powders sold to me by Uber drivers, powders sold to me by liquor store proprietors, carrots, and floss.

Below: Most everything not listed above, we live in a horrible consumerist machine, and condoms

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Crushing the per capita consumption figures for:
  • Kleenex - chronic stuffy nose
  • Salmon - I laugh at the 2.4 LBs annual per capita consumption and raise that by a factor of at least 10X
  • French red Rhone wines - The glass sounds when the recyclers come is a giveaway. :oops:
  • Bananas
  • Raisins
  • Dutch cheese
Under per capita:
  • Soda pop and other crap beverages
  • Hamburger
  • Pizza - have really cut back on these
  • Gasoline - JFC, I only drive like 4000 miles/year these days. :eek:

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I haven't taken a complete inventory, but at least 2 in the "above category":
* Drinking glasses
* Silverware

If our kitchenware is going to procreate in the cupboard & drawer while we aren't looking, I'd prefer to have an expensive, new set of pots & pans.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
God bless you and your Oxford ways.
Even though it's wasteful and takes up a portion of space. Plus it makes me pause and I don't need to pause. I'm on team No-Oxford, 'cause it's my job.

Reactions: Angie

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I haven't taken a complete inventory, but at least 2 in the "above category":
* Drinking glasses
* Silverware

If our kitchenware is going to procreate in the cupboard & drawer while we aren't looking, I'd prefer to have an expensive, new set of pots & pans.
If we're going to include our spouses, we over indulge in Buffalo Plaid items. The kids and I have talked about staging a Buffalo Plaid intervention.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Well above average:

Mio
Greek Yogurt
Protein powder
Belvita Soft Baked Bars
Captain

Well below average:

Unflavored water
Fruits and Vegetables
Beer

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I must say, I hate, using, commas, because I , never know, when I, should ,use them.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Campbell's Chunky Beef w/Country Vegetables (7 cans a week)
Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Nut granola bars (8/day)

Kinda picturing this in front of your house once a month. ;)

962-01-2__06009.1407189419.jpg

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
I overuse dish soap. I know how often our kitchen sink is (not) cleaned so the idea filling it with soapy water to wash dishes is gross to me. I put soap on each pan and an extra squirt on the sponge in between most items. I think it comes from growing up with those sponge wands that had the dish soap integrated but it never actually came out so now I overcompensate.

I also overuse spaces in between sentences. I learned to always use 2 and it's too late to change.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie