Doyle cost Epenesa millions

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Was a monster out there on Friday. His entire game has really improved all season long. He's been an awesome Hawk.

Against those mighty huskers who are 5-7. Carry on with your ego, just watch it trying to get through doors. Also, don't strain your shoulder trying to pat yourself on the back. Could lead to some PT for you. Someone has to make sure the trolls are here are doing it the right way.

• Funny
Reactions: iahawks

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
Epenesa stats per game...

Miami (OH) - 1 tackle, 0 sacks
Rutgers - 3 tackles, 1 sack
Iowa State - 1 tackle, 0 sacks
Mid Tenn St - 2 tackles, 0 sacks
Michigan - 2 tackles, 1 sack
Pedophile State - 7 tackles, 1 sack
Purdue - 0 tackles, 0 sacks
Northwestern - 5 tackles, .5 sack
Wisconsin - 1 tackle, 1 sack
Minny - 4 tackles, 2.5 sacks
Illinois - 5 tackles, 1.5 sacks
Nebby - 14 tackles, 2 sacks

For a dominant pass rusher, he was a bit mediocre prior to the last 3 games.

Against an All Big XII, first team tackle, he was bad. Against one of the best programs for OL, Wiscy, he was not great.

For his dominance he sure was bad against Miami (OH), Mid Tenn St and Purdue.

I would argue that he played well in the final 3 games and that is what the voters for the All B1G team remember.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Epenesa stats per game...

Miami (OH) - 1 tackle, 0 sacks
Rutgers - 3 tackles, 1 sack
Iowa State - 1 tackle, 0 sacks
Mid Tenn St - 2 tackles, 0 sacks
Michigan - 2 tackles, 1 sack
Pedophile State - 7 tackles, 1 sack
Purdue - 0 tackles, 0 sacks
Northwestern - 5 tackles, .5 sack
Wisconsin - 1 tackle, 1 sack
Minny - 4 tackles, 2.5 sacks
Illinois - 5 tackles, 1.5 sacks
Nebby - 14 tackles, 2 sacks

For a dominant pass rusher, he was a bit mediocre prior to the last 3 games.

Against an All Big XII, first team tackle, he was bad. Against one of the best programs for OL, Wiscy, he was not great.

For his dominance he sure was bad against Miami (OH), Mid Tenn St and Purdue.

I would argue that he played well in the final 3 games and that is what the voters for the All B1G team remember.

Realized his numbers were poor for the draft and turned it on against poorer teams to boost them.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

There it is. Gotta give MC credit, he did a smart job of gameplanning around AJE. Constant double-teams, runs the other way, quick passes. Didn't look like there were more than a small handful of pass plays where BP actually held the ball more than a second or two. And even the broadcaster commented late in the game how ISU was doing a good job of keeping two guys on him. Again, smart gameplanning.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There it is. Gotta give MC credit, he did a smart job of gameplanning around AJE. Constant double-teams, runs the other way, quick passes. Didn't look like there were more than a small handful of pass plays where BP actually held the ball more than a second or two. And even the broadcaster commented late in the game how ISU was doing a good job of keeping two guys on him. Again, smart gameplanning.
I'm not sure why there are some people that don't want to give Epenesa any credit.. He's a great player and will most likely be taken in the first or second round of the draft this year. Iowa State did a phenomenal job on him with throwing different looks his way. Iowa's d-line destroyed us last year and this year they were basically nonexistent.. why? Because Matt Campbell schemed around them. You look at the Nebraska game and they basically did the exact opposite. Nebraska ran a lot of plays at Epenesa and he made them pay for it. I also don't think Nebraska doubled him much and look what happened.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm not sure why there are some people that don't want to give Epenesa any credit.. He's a great player and will most likely be taken in the first or second round of the draft this year. Iowa State did a phenomenal job on him with throwing different looks his way. Iowa's d-line destroyed us last year and this year they were basically nonexistent.. why? Because Matt Campbell schemed around them. You look at the Nebraska game and they basically did the exact opposite. Nebraska ran a lot of plays at Epenesa and he made them pay for it. I also don't think Nebraska doubled him much and look what happened.

MC commented about things they were doing, moving the pocket, etc. There was one play where BP rolled left and they pulled the RG all the way over to help the LT w protection, pretty creative.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Bigman38

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
MC commented about things they were doing, moving the pocket, etc. There was one play where BP rolled left and they pulled the RG all the way over to help the LT w protection, pretty creative.

Typically you will pull either the opposite guard, or center, when you pull a lineman. It’s easier to help with blocking their guy than on the near side. On a pitch out you can pull the near guard because you want them out faster and the pitch should eliminate that Dlinemen. Wasn’t as creative by Campbell as some may have said. Just typical how you pull players.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Exactly. Teams everywhere scheme around the other team's best players. It happens all the time in tons of different sports.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

Epenesa is literally unblocked the same amount of plays he is doubled teamed in that video lol

• Winner
Reactions: CyTwins

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Epenesa is literally unblocked the same amount of plays he is doubled teamed in that video lol

Easiest question to ask hawk fans is how many times was Epenesa double teamed in the Miami of Ohio game? This will tell you how much they paid attention to blocking. Miami’s LT basically went one on one with him for most of the game. Rarely had help.

Epenesa will get drafted, and I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but he definitely has some things to clean up. In our game and Miami’s game, Epenesa would do his typically pass rush sell out where he would rush hard upfield and try to come on the back side of the QB. The Miami LT would hesitate a fraction of a second, stay low and drive in under his near shoulder pad and just assist him in running upfield so Epenesa would be 5 yards behind the QB by the time he got to the level of the QB. He basically just ran him off the play.

What I saw if Nebraska was a LT that would shove him into the LG ( and with an on, in, out process you are taught from JH through HS dominately) that is not what you want to do with a player like him. It’s like giving a free pass. One thing I would say Epenesa needs to work on is pad level. He comes in high. Our one DT (David I forget his last name but the Stop sign guy) had that issue and he was able to fix it and played with the cowboys for several years.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

MKJG.gif

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Easiest question to ask hawk fans is how many times was Epenesa double teamed in the Miami of Ohio game? This will tell you how much they paid attention to blocking. Miami’s LT basically went one on one with him for most of the game. Rarely had help.

Epenesa will get drafted, and I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but he definitely has some things to clean up. In our game and Miami’s game, Epenesa would do his typically pass rush sell out where he would rush hard upfield and try to come on the back side of the QB. The Miami LT would hesitate a fraction of a second, stay low and drive in under his near shoulder pad and just assist him in running upfield so Epenesa would be 5 yards behind the QB by the time he got to the level of the QB. He basically just ran him off the play.

What I saw if Nebraska was a LT that would shove him into the LG ( and with an on, in, out process you are taught from JH through HS dominately) that is not what you want to do with a player like him. It’s like giving a free pass. One thing I would say Epenesa needs to work on is pad level. He comes in high. Our one DT (David I forget his last name but the Stop sign guy) had that issue and he was able to fix it and played with the cowboys for several years.

I am not trying to say anything negative about Epenesa. I think he a very good player, I just thought citing that video as evidence ISU was super concerned and game planning around him was silly.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I am not trying to say anything negative about Epenesa. I think he a very good player, I just thought citing that video as evidence ISU was super concerned and game planning around him was silly.

If there were plays where he went unblocked that's because they were either trying quick passes/runs to the other side of the field or drawing him in for quick screen over top of him, which I think they only tried once or twice.

Your coach would be stupid not to gameplan the offense around AJE. He's not stupid. You should feel good about that.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
If there were plays where he went unblocked that's because they were either trying quick passes/runs to the other side of the field or drawing him in for quick screen over top of him, which I think they only tried once or twice.

Your coach would be stupid not to gameplan the offense around AJE. He's not stupid. You should feel good about that.

There was nothing in that video they did differently than any other game...other than KSU where all the passing highlights would have been incomplete.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
They had a really good plan going into the game. Obvious gameplan was centered around making AJ a non-factor and attacking the freshman 5th string DB who was in due to injuries. To that extent, they were rather successful as attacking the inexperienced Johnson led directly to 82% of their points. Kid grew up a lot that game, but there was a reason he really never played except for special teams once the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string guys got healthy. Smart move by the ISU coaching staff. Would have been interesting to see what they would have tried against our end of season backfield.