SUBMIT QUESTIONS for the Football Post-Season Mailbag

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Game-by-game predictions for next year, please? A simple W-L and some explanation (either game-by-game or just overall) to go with it would be great, thank you!

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Hasn't that instability always been there at the big programs though? It feels like something has shifted in the past 5ish years.

A guy like Chris Petersen is another example. Could have left Boise earlier than he did. Now he's retiring, or taking time off.

I think the change has been the playoffs. Alot of those schools its playoffs or bust. With only 4 teams (2 if you autobid Clemson or Bama most years) getting in is a coach confident theyre going to have the job security.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Will we start putting more money, time and effort into special teams going forward?

Is it possible to switch from a 3 man front to a 4 man front depending on opponent or even change during a game just to throw offenses a wrinkle or is that too difficult to implement?

I think they actually went to this a couple times last year, but can't recall the game. As far as I am concerned ISU should have used a 4 man front against Iowa, KSU and probably TX.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy and cygrads

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Not to take away from the fine work @GTO and @cyrocksmypants have been doing, but CW asked if I would put together a mailbag this week following the conclusion of the football regular season.

Ask now or forever hold your peace.

The bar has been raised. We are now disappointed in a 7 win regular season (we used to try to piece together a path to bowl eligibility each off season).

But....

When Campbell came to ISU I was most excited about the coaching staff's track record with O-Linemen. Four seasons in that is the most problematic spot on the roster (imo). I like the young talent and I am confident it will get turned around soon. Do you think we need a grad transfer at OL to be better than we were this year? Why/why not? If season started tomorrow, who are the starting 5?

My guess (uneducated):

LT Ramos
LG Downing
C Newell / Schweiger
RG Hudson / Newell
RT Treiber / Remsburg

Would like to see us get at least one veteran transfer to compete at T/G.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Hasn't that instability always been there at the big programs though? It feels like something has shifted in the past 5ish years.

A guy like Chris Petersen is another example. Could have left Boise earlier than he did. Now he's retiring, or taking time off.

I think the ADs at a lot of non blue bloods have been able to manage their Power 5 TV money in such a way that they can provide things coaches need to be successful without needing to jump to a better job. And I don't just mean more for their salary, but funding for their staff members and investment in facilities that make them more competitive right where they are.

Coaches know that everything isn't always better at a top 15 job.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
D83F040A5F3AFAD6F47E79C97F6C390B2E7B1495
Fitzy vs. GTO in Hell in a Cell

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I think they actually went to this a couple times last year, but can't recall the game. As far as I am concerned ISU should have used a 4 man front against Iowa, KSU and probably TX.
I also think that changing defenses may be something to try when a team is on a roll offensively but this isn't basketball and probably tougher to implement successfully.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Game-by-game predictions for next year, please? A simple W-L and some explanation (either game-by-game or just overall) to go with it would be great, thank you!
LOL, this isn't the Insider Information Mailbag. Good luck getting this answered.

• Funny
Reactions: Doc

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Will Will MacDonald have a breakout season next year, or will the fact that the officials refuse to call holding on the linemen attempting to block him (which they could on virtually every play) hold him back?

Reactions: GTO

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Will the annoying fair catch on kick-offs and punts continue, or will the K-State opening kick-off return for a TD inspire our coaching staff to unleash our returners?

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Sneak it in? Hell Pants and GTO get all their questions answered each week. These guys getting paid should be able to handle it the once a month or so they receive questions from the public.
Sorry, tending to my money trees cuts down on my amount of free time.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and GTO