Mock drafts slotting Tyrese Haliburton as potential lottery pick

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Just saw this afternoon Tyrese Haliburton is pegged to go No. 10 overall to the New Orleans Pelicans in the ESPN mock draft. He's at No. 17 in the most recent one on Bleacher Report as well. Figured I would start a thread that can be updated as new mocks come out during the season.

From Bleacher Report late last week:

"Haliburton's playmaking efficiency and defensive playmaking have carried over from this summer's U19 World Cup. He's the nation's [early] assist leader, but he's also coming off a career-high 25 points against Michigan on Wednesday.

There is still debate surrounding his NBA upside as a point guard who lacks burst, advanced creation skills and a strong pull-up game. Regardless, the right team, one that could surround him with athletes and shot-makers, should be able to optimize his elite passing IQ, while a consistent three-ball could give him enough scoring purpose."

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Anyone projected first round (unless they have an injury like Bol Bol) should go. Too much life changing money to leave on the table.

Contrary to what most assumed,Talen Horton-Tucker actually wanted to come back to ISU, but him, his family and his camp thought it was too much to pass up the money. I agree with him. I'd rather be a millionaire in the NBA.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Good news, bad news. Great for him if he can get that and I would wish him all the best. But selfishly I really enjoy watching him play and would love to have him another year or two.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I personally have this weird feeling that TH will come back for his Junior season. Not that I don't think he'll be regarded as highly, but I think we fail to meet the threshold he wants to this season(team wise) and has a want to come back and leave his jersey in a better place to use someone elses words..

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I personally have this weird feeling that TH will come back for his Junior season. Not that I don't think he'll be regarded as highly, but I think we fail to meet the threshold he wants to this season(team wise) and has a want to come back and leave his jersey in a better place to use someone elses words..

NBA stuff is such a gamble. Obviously the money in the top 20 is BIG and guaranteed...BUT, we also know like 200 folks leave early to test the waters, etc.

I think about Lindell....was projected top 20, came back, injury, and then fell and now is having to work it/earn it...who knows, he comes back and he could be an all Big 12 type guy and jump back up.

Same with Tyrese....maybe these are projections, but as the season progresses becomes a more "20-30" pick...come back and play great, you have hype and could jump to top 10.

BUT, I agree, i could see him return and be a national POY type guy/personality, too.

Obviously, if he's projecting top 20 he'll get the NBA feedback to see how "sure" it is.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The NBA has a surplus of guys who need the ball to be productive and a shortage of guys who do not. Tyrese is going to benefit a lot from that dynamic.

You know that is a very good point. Everyone wants to be and in a way is a star in that league, which almost always means scoring points to them. Not many unselfish stars almost by design.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

We all would love that. But I think almost all Cyclone fans would support his decision to leave after this year if he’s a lock first round or potentially a lottery pick. You just can’t risk passing that up.

• Winner
Reactions: CapnCy and LindenCy

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
NBA stuff is such a gamble. Obviously the money in the top 20 is BIG and guaranteed...BUT, we also know like 200 folks leave early to test the waters, etc.

I think about Lindell....was projected top 20, came back, injury, and then fell and now is having to work it/earn it...who knows, he comes back and he could be an all Big 12 type guy and jump back up.

Same with Tyrese....maybe these are projections, but as the season progresses becomes a more "20-30" pick...come back and play great, you have hype and could jump to top 10.

BUT, I agree, i could see him return and be a national POY type guy/personality, too.

Obviously, if he's projecting top 20 he'll get the NBA feedback to see how "sure" it is.
definitely, and I don't even mean to say he will come back. But if there is a player that would be "projected mid-late 1st round" and come back, it's 'rese lol.

I've been vocal that a player should go get his money if it's there for him, and I would say the same to him. But that Ringer article about him staying with his AAU had me thinking lol

Reactions: CapnCy

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Seems like a weird fit with Ball already there.

It wouldn't be the worst idea with Lonzo's RFA coming up in two years. They could give Tyrese a year to get stronger and work on his shot, and then Tyrese could fill Lonzo's role. They're going to have to pick and choose which of the young guys they are going to pay before too long, and Ingram and Zion have to top that list along with Holiday.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
here's to hoping the locker room doesn't get toxic based on NBA mock drafts this year.

I don't think that there's much of a worry there. TH is highly valued because of his overall game, not because he is a shot maker. I really doubt that he's going to change his game now and start hunting shots. That's honestly the last thing he needs to be doing. Just keep playing his game and the draft will be there at the end of the season. And yes, he absolutely should go if he's a first round lock.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I have him falling out of the 2nd round and staying 4 years at ISU :)

THT early in the season was being touted as a 1st-rounder and then dropped out. I don't know if that was due to his performances or just that more people got on teams' radar screens.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

Except Lindell was not projected top 20 at the end of his freshman year- if he was he would have went. IIRC he was slotted early 2nd rd and came back to bump that up into the 1st. Unfortunately, we know how that turned out.

• Winner
Reactions: mharder

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron