FSU talking potential hiring of Campbell

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm guessing CMC would think his staff would recruit better than current staff. Give him an occasional 5 star and 4-6 4 stars each year and he would believe anything is possible.
That is my basis for them on the list. Also location, close to roots. May be right, may be wrong.
Dantonio is the outlier at MSU in an otherwise pretty mediocre to bad football history. Keep in mind that Campbell is going to win more games in his first 5 years at ISU than Saban did in his 5 years at MSU, and Saban was taking over a highly stable, albeit .500 type program after a decade of Perles.

It's a vastly overrated job that seems a hell of a lot better than it is because of what a great job Dantonio has done. Say what you want about Dantonio, but he made MSU a winner. If they push out Dantonio they are going to realize how good he was. If they don't hit an absolute home run with the hire they'll be right back to annual 5 and 6 win seasons.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Article in the Athletic today indicated the interim coach, Odell Haggins, might get a look.

https://theathletic.com/1410702/2019/11/26/odell-haggins-florida-state-coaching-search/

Of course, it also mentions Franklin at Penn State and Campbell.

The article is behind a paywall, so I couldn't read it. I haven't really read this thread in any kind of depth, so if someone else said this, I apologize. Are the other coaching names, besides Haggins, just FSU people throwing out names? I mean, I guess I could see Campbell, most people outside of us fans haven't really grasped the ISU is a decent job now idea, but Franklin? I hate Penn St. as much as the next guy, but seriously, you are just going to come in and take Franklin away from PSU? Franklin is a Pennsylvania guy. When he gets mentioned with Campbell in the same article, it's hard to take any of it seriously.

Honestly, I have to say, I'm more worried that Franklin take the job at FSU then Campbell takes the PSU job than I am of Campbell going to FSU. And I don't see Franklin leaving PSU, he's got a pretty good situation there right now. I mean dump a traditional power that you have going pretty well to try and rebuild an FSU program that who knows where it will go?

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Dantonio is the outlier at MSU in an otherwise pretty mediocre to bad football history. Keep in mind that Campbell is going to win more games in his first 5 years at ISU than Saban did in his 5 years at MSU, and Saban was taking over a highly stable, albeit .500 type program after a decade of Perles.

It's a vastly overrated job that seems a hell of a lot better than it is because of what a great job Dantonio has done. Say what you want about Dantonio, but he made MSU a winner. If they push out Dantonio they are going to realize how good he was. If they don't hit an absolute home run with the hire they'll be right back to annual 5 and 6 win seasons.
We're kind of speaking out both sides of our mouths if we talk about Campbell leaving the program in a better place and then say MSU will return to mediocrity upon Dantonio's departure. And their mediocrity is still better than ours, historically.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I was naive enough to think Hoiberg wouldn't leave so I'll never say never with CMC. That said I hope he gets our program to a B12 championship game before seeking other opportunities.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and cyfanatic

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We're kind of speaking out both sides of our mouths if we talk about Campbell leaving the program in a better place and then say MSU will return to mediocrity upon Dantonio's departure. And their mediocrity is still better than ours, historically.

If Campbell leaves it would not be a good thing for Iowa state football. Would it be a disaster? Probably not. But it would not be a good thing and it would most definitely set us back.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and BWRhasnoAC

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Honestly, I have to say, I'm more worried that Franklin take the job at FSU then Campbell takes the PSU job than I am of Campbell going to FSU. And I don't see Franklin leaving PSU, he's got a pretty good situation there right now. I mean dump a traditional power that you have going pretty well to try and rebuild an FSU program that who knows where it will go?

THIS !!

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I was naive enough to think Hoiberg wouldn't leave so I'll never say never with CMC. That said I hope he gets our program to a B12 championship game before seeking other opportunities.

This always confuses me because Hoiberg practically came out and said that the NBA was his goal. The ISU dream job stuff was fan jobbing, because no one else would likely give him a head coaching job. That said, ISU used Fred as much as he used ISU, so it worked out for the most part.

Technically if Campbell could leave Toledo, he could leave Iowa State. That said, his words and actions have all pointed to staying unless he finds he is artificially capped here. As long as Pollard is AD, I believe he'll do everything in his power to avoid that.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This always confuses me because Hoiberg practically came out and said that the NBA was his goal. The ISU dream job stuff was fan jobbing, because no one else would likely give him a head coaching job. That said, ISU used Fred as much as he used ISU, so it worked out for the most part.

Technically if Campbell could leave Toledo, he could leave Iowa State. That said, his words and actions have all pointed to staying unless he finds he is artificially capped here. As long as Pollard is AD, I believe he'll do everything in his power to avoid that.

i don’t think he did. But his PR people did a nice job.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Some of you guys need to look around our own neighborhood and realize how rare it is for successful coaches to leave P5 programs. Alvarez at wisconsin, Fry and Farentz at Iowa, Snyder at KSU, Mangino at KU, Pinkel at MU, Gundy at OSU, Briles at BU, Patterson at TCU. We are surrounded by coaches who have had top 10 seasons, BCS bowls, conference titles, many successes above and beyond what CMC has done so far. And they all chose to stay at non blue blood P5 schools. Hell, even Mac and CPR had their opportunities to jump ship from ISU. True, not all of these guys went full Snyder taking it to retirement. Some tailed off late in the career or had conduct issues driving a firing, but none jumped for a "better" job.

Hell, even Chiz didn't use his success to improve his job. He went 5-19. He got hired because Auburn knew he would be down for the plan to buy a natty via Cam Newton.

The last ISU football coach to turn success here into a better job did so before most of the posters on CF were even born.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Some of you guys need to look around our own neighborhood and realize how rare it is for successful coaches to leave P5 programs. Alvarez at wisconsin, Fry and Farentz at Iowa, Snyder at KSU, Mangino at KU, Pinkel at MU, Gundy at OSU, Briles at BU, Patterson at TCU. We are surrounded by coaches who have had top 10 seasons, BCS bowls, conference titles, many successes above and beyond what CMC has done so far. And they all chose to stay at non blue blood P5 schools. Hell, even Mac and CPR had their opportunities to jump ship from ISU. True, not all of these guys went full Snyder taking it to retirement. Some tailed off late in the career or had conduct issues driving a firing, but none jumped for a "better" job.

Hell, even Chiz didn't use his success to improve his job. He went 5-19. He got hired because Auburn knew he would be down for the plan to buy a natty via Cam Newton.

The last ISU football coach to turn success here into a better job did so before most of the posters on CF were even born.

Yep, I was saying this upthread. People overestimate how much P5 coaches really leap for 'better' jobs. Most turnover comes from firings, and those spots are largely filled by G5 head coaches and P5 coordinators

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Yep, I was saying this upthread. People overestimate how much P5 coaches really leap for 'better' jobs. Most turnover comes from firings, and those spots are largely filled by G5 head coaches and P5 coordinators

Just look at some recent blue blood hires for the other side of the coin. OU promoted a coordinator internally, as did Ohio State. Texas hired a current non P5 head coach. Dabo was an internal promotion at Clemson. Orgeron was the DL coach at LSU before taking the reigns.

It is just a lazy reporting formula. Take an up and coming coach at a non blue blood school (CMC, Fleck, Rhule, etc) and combine with a struggling blue blood like FSU or USC. Bingo, easy click bait story that takes 5 minutes to crank out. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Help Support Us

Become a patron